9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
"On the OEM CMC unit there's an offset chamber the fluid travels through to get your foot motion to transfer to the clutch. This chamber actually causes the fluid to slow, resulting in a clutch that does not disengage or engage fast enough. Which leads to slower shifts and in some cases transmission grinds. It's not your fault!The simple solution is to upgrade to an EM1 civic master cylinder, replacing the OEM FG unit – bundled with a braided stainless line Voila! Problem solved. The new master cylinder also has steel internals while the OEM unit has plastic internals.If you're seeking smoother shifts that eliminate grinds as you accelerate, likely destroying your transmission, this is the way to go!"-Taken from Hybrid Racing.You can see in the pic the OEM CMC vs the EM1 CMC:

I recommend you read the install guide written by Hybrid Racing for the 06+ Civic Si. Everything is pretty much applies to 9th gens as well. Hybrid Racing How To: EM1 CMC into 06+ Civic Si - Hybrid Racing1. Disconnect & remove the battery.

2. Remove stock air box/intake.

• Unclip this harness and move it out of the way

• Remove top lid for intake, take out air filter
  • Remove this bolt, and pop out the two bushings the bottom part of the air box from the rear. It might take some force, but don't be scared..it won't break.

• Grab some pliers and remove the metal vacuum line from the intake hose.
  • Everything should come out and look like this:
3. Unbolt clutch line bracket from transmission.

4. Unbolt clutch line bracket on driver side frame.

5. Remove clutch hard line from slave cylinder. You need two wrenches for this part.6. Remove the two 12mm nuts from the back of the clutch master cylinder, then remove the clip and pin from the fork. Don't lose the pin & clip!

7. Pull out the stock clutch master cylinder from the firewall. This can be hard at first & you may have to bend the stock clutch hard line. (It's OK since we are replacing it anyways.) When you can get good access, remove the soft clutch rubber line that attaches to the reservoir and plug it for the time being.

8. Loosen & remove the fork from the end of the stock CMC rod.

9. Use the snap ring pliers to remove the retainer on the stock CMC so you can swap it over to the EM1 CMC.

10. I ended up using the stock CMC rod, stock bracket, & EM1 retainer and snap ring. The EM1 retainer I found out gave me more room to adjust the clutch pedal engagement point and more free play as the stock retainer actually preloads it (always under a slight bit of pressure which may cause the clutch to slip).The one with the tabs poking out is the stock CMC I'm talking about in the pictures, the one you don't want to use.

11. After everything is reassembled, tighten on the fittings and line you get from Hybrid Racing. Make sure you angle the braided line in a way so that it won't hit the firewall. It's much easier to tighten the line now then inside the car.

12. Install is reverse of removal. Install new EM1 CMC, put the pin & clip back in the clutch pedal, tighten down the CMC back again with the two 12mm nuts. Install new line onto slave cylinder. Make sure you bleed the clutch good. It may take a while at first since it's dry and has lots of air but keep going at it.I found out that if you don't secure your new clutch line, you will feel lots of vibration through the pedal...so ziptie it everywhere. I tried to route the new line in the same places as the stock line went through as best I could.

After everything is finished and the clutch is bled good, you will find that you might need to adjust the engagement point to your liking. To do this, get under the footwell and loosen the 12mm nut that holds the bracket on.

Turning the rod on the CMC counter-clockwise will provide you with a lower engagement point, clockwise will make the engagement point higher.

You may also want to adjust for proper pedal freeplay by adjusting the clutch sensor. It's near up top in a very hard to reach place, you much loosen the 17mm nut, unplug the harness (hardest part about this is just fitting your hard in there to reach it), and adjust to your liking. You can see there is lots of thread for adjustment available in the pic.

Again, I really recommend you follow along and read the Hybrid Racing install guide as well. Hybrid Racing How To: EM1 CMC into 06+ Civic Si - Hybrid Racing

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
subscribed and plan on doing this soon. This seems like it is difficult to do for the first time. Ie, bleeding clutch line, etc. That and a couple of the other steps seem a bit vague.

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
What is involved in bleeding the line?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
2 people method or use a brake bleeder by yourself. It's the same thing as bleeding your brakes so you can look up on youtube how to do that with either method.

·
Registered
12 Posts
hey so to anyone who has done this mod. does it actually work? i thought you had to do the clutch delay valve delete to fix our clutch system? can someone give me some insight on this mod?

·
Registered
22 Posts
I believe the clutch delay valve is only one problem to why our clutches don't have much response and wear out fast. This deffinitely seems like a good solution to most of it. More simply setup that they used for years and didn't have the same problems. Ordered mine today, so I'm doing the CDV and the swap all at once

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
12 Posts
I believe the clutch delay valve is only one problem to why our clutches don't have much response and wear out fast. This deffinitely seems like a good solution to most of it. More simply setup that they used for years and didn't have the same problems. Ordered mine today, so I'm doing the CDV and the swap all at once
awesome man! keep us updated! def interested in this setup

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
done both,chrip tires from 1-3 without grind and shift like butter.

when installing new cmc don't for get to adjust push rod on cmc and clutch sensor.

turn rod left=lower engage bite turn rod right=higher engage bite

I set my engage bite pedal half way.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Mine is hard to get in second at high rpm, almost impossible to power shift, i hope this fixes that issue. ordered mine yesterday will install it when i get it.
da same as in stiff,rocking stage 2 act clutch here.

But I notice with em1 cmc it really grab the clutch comparing to my old cmc.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts