9th Gen Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. I have been reading this forum for a few months before deciding to get my Civic. Wanted an Si but was given too good of a deal on the EX-L. Anyway, I've been waiting to see if anyone got around to removing the rear panels to replace the stock speakers and posting a DIY but I gave in and decided to give it a try myself. Took me around 40 minutes to figure out how to go around it and actually finishing. So here goes my attempt to show how I did it.

P5011896 by AliceJapan, on Flickr

The side curtain panels come off in two sections. I didn't have any trim removal tools so used a tiny flat head screwdriver to open the top part enough to catch the edge on my fingertips and gently pulled until it popped off.

P5011897 by AliceJapan, on Flickr

P5011898 by AliceJapan, on Flickr

I read about the clip that holds the other panel to the frame so I pulled enough on the opening to where I could see it and stopped there.

P5011899 by AliceJapan, on Flickr

P5011900 by AliceJapan, on Flickr

This is where I though it was the most difficult. There isn't much space to get my hand in there while I push the panel in to give the clip some slack to pop it off. The top part was somewhat easy, it was just the bottom part that was a hassle. Had to use the flat head screwdriver on the right side and that helped it come off. For whatever reason, the left side was a bigger pain but I was able to do it with my index finger but, with a few scratches and slight pain.

P5011901 by AliceJapan, on Flickr

P5011902 by AliceJapan, on Flickr

P5011903 by AliceJapan, on Flickr

P5012399 by AliceJapan, on Flickr

The deck is rather easy after that. The outside of the rear seats stay in place but can be somewhat lifted to allow for the corners of the deck to come out.

P5012401 by AliceJapan, on Flickr

I lifted the deck carefully and started hearing the plugs popping out. Oh, don't forget to remove the rear brake light wire.

P5012403 by AliceJapan, on Flickr

Patience is key but once done, you finally have access to those rear speakers.

P5012400 by AliceJapan, on Flickr

P5012402 by AliceJapan, on Flickr

I'm sorry in advance if this is not as clear as it could be but this is my first time doing anything on my cars. I did not have a chance to install the new speakers but hopefully I get to put it all back together in the morning. I hope this helps others out with their speaker replacement, good luck!

·
Registered
464 Posts
nicely done... now i can get around to doing my rear speakers this weekend. now i just have to figure out what speaker im going to replace the factory sub with...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Flako. Nice DIY! I seem to be missing some things on the new speaker install. When did you paint the car red? Did you measure the original speakers? Thanks!

·
Registered
464 Posts
original speaker sizes are 6 1/2's and the car was always Sunburst Orange Pearl.....

·
H2O in hydrant - K9P out
2,169 Posts
Thank you for DIY! Really appreciate everyone who takes the time and energy to do DIY's. A+

(BTW ...what a pain in the arse just to switch rear speakers. Why Honda why?!)

·
Registered
566 Posts
Thanks for this! I'll be removing mine in the next few weeks. Not to replace speakers, but to clean all the film of the lower part of the glass that I CANNOT get to with the panel in place. It's off-gassing some sticky film and is near impossible to clean. Anyone else had this issue?

·
Registered
20 Posts
original speaker sizes are 6 1/2's and the car was always Sunburst Orange Pearl.....
ok, too early this am.. My bad. I thought you started this thread when you had the it's done post. I was awake enough to see the original car was blue. Now to find out about the door speakers...

·
Registered
566 Posts
I removed mine the past weekend and this how-to helped a lot! Thanks Hollywood! I didn't remove the seat side bolsters before removing the panel, as you mentioned. I wasn't terribly comfortable having to bend the panel so much to clear the side bolsters, but it came out without much of an issue. I did, however, remove the side bolsters before re-installing the panel. There is just a 9mm or 10mm bolt hidden under the seat cushion and they just lift out of place. This made is MUCH easier to re-install the panel and would help a lot of the initial removal, as well.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I can't figure out how to get the white clip out on the C pillar.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Is this for sedan ex-l only? I have the ex model and wondering if my speakers are on the door on back panel, sorry if it's already stated.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I too am not impressed with the stock speakers in my 15' SE. I may be replacing these with Polk/Infinity real soon... My 08' Grand Cherokee's stock system blows this one away. Hope this goes as easy as it looks. I've installed in 100's of cars, but not with the side airbags.

·
Registered
56 Posts
For anyone who has removed their rear deck covers, can you estimate the amount of space between the metal deck and the plastic cover? Trying to plan what insulating material I could place in there.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts