9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 132 Posts

·
Vanilla Ice is my hero!!!
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is a DIY for a resonator delete I did on my Si sedan.

Tools needed:
-Jack
-Jack stand
-4 way lug nut tool
-Socket wrench
-10mm socket
-Flat head screwdriver

1. Loosen lug nuts slightly
2. Jack up car
3. Slide jack stand under and lower car on jack stand (keep slight jack pressure under car, I do this to keep 2 points of contact)
4. Remove wheel
5. Use flat head to gently pry the middle piece of the 2 plastic retainers and fold the flap down. Where the green arrow is pull the little tab out of the wheel well shield
1.JPG

6. Gently pry all of the middle pieces from the rest of the retainers in wheel well shield (do not pull out the 3 that are x'd in red). I didn't get a pic but there are 3 more retainers that you need to remove under the bumper. Then fold the shield under the brake disc.
2.JPG

7. Remove the 2 10mm bolts
3.JPG

8. Remove the 2 retainers from the "snorkel"
4.JPG

9. Remove "snorkel" from resonator box
5.JPG

10. Remove 10mm bolt hidden behind the plastic piece
6.JPG

11. Wiggle resonator out and down

7.jpg

12. Here is what's left. Holy ground wires!
8.JPG

13. These are the parts you should have left over.
9.JPG

14. Replace the wheel well shield and the shield that covers the intake tube.
15. Put tire back on and lower car.

Attachments

·
Bluestar's winch!!
8,763 Posts
Noise and free up intake losses.

Reactions: pjdublada858

·
Registered
270 Posts
Can you make a video. I would like to do this but don't want to start taking my car apart unless its a nice, noticable sound difference.

K24Z7 Crew Member #45

·
Registered
181 Posts
Also maybe pulling in warmer air. The extra sound is less restriction but warm air kills power too.
Mine sit's down as far as it can go without going out to the wheel and the filter sits close to where an after market CAI filter would go. I think it's down far enough to be sucking in cold air.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Can you make a video. I would like to do this but don't want to start taking my car apart unless its a nice, noticable sound difference.

K24Z7 Crew Member #45
I will take a video tomorrow!!!!! and yes i think there is a good sound difference.

·
Vanilla Ice is my hero!!!
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Great write up. I'll be doing this, this weekend to pair with my "like new" k&n drop in. Maybe the combo will give her a little more sound without spending 300 for an intake.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
I made one this morning but decided not to post it, there is almost no difference in sound with just the res delete, maybe 5-10% at 3k and higher rpm, sounds about the same on camera. That thing looked super restrictive though, tons of bends in it and plastic bars inside, now its just a nice big plastic pipe. Throttle response seems to have improved slightly which I don't think is placebo, I wasn't even thinking about it and just realized, hey there was less delay when I hit the pedal. Could be wrong tho. Dropped in my k&n this evening a will try making another vid tomorrow.

On a side note, is it just me or does this realllllllly look like a CAI after taking the resonator out? Literally sites inches from the ground right behind the wheel. Makes me slightly nervous but not as much as if there was a filter down there.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Ok folks, the k&n added a fair amount to the sound and over all throttle resoponse has definitely improved. Tried making a video again and theres still no point. You would have to listen to stock and delete plus k&n back to back to hear a dif from the same recording device & i neglected to do a before. The difference can be heard starting after around 2700 rpm. I would say its about 25% louder now.

If you are just wanting sound you have to get the k&n to do with the delete to really get anything. Also what you do get is minimal. The unexpected increase in throttle response is by far the best part of this mod. Total spent $35 & 45min of my time. I have a weak butt dyno so i cant say I feel an increase in power however imo this is on par with a CAI from the way it looks.

1 - 20 of 132 Posts