9th Gen Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Here's the DIY of installing the S2CarbonWorks R18 Heat Shield:

This item is fairly easy to install, I think it took about ~10 minutes from start to finish. It dresses up the engine bay quite nicely.

Tools Needed:
- 10mm socket & ratchet
- Flat head screwdriver

The kit comes with the heatshield & foam tape for the coil pack cover.

Step 1: *CLICK PHOTOS TO ENLARGE THEM*
Open the hood. Allow the car to cool down for 15-20 minutes. *and remember kids, don't touch the exhaust manifold, it is very hot!

Step 2:
Locate the 2 flathead screw tabs on the coil pack cover. Use the screwdriver to turn them counter-clockwise 1/4 turn to release them. Remove the coil pack cover, it just lifts off.

Step 3:
Locate the 2 10mm bolts holding the valve cover on. They are BLACK in color. Take them out.

Step 4:
Install the heat shield plate, reinstall the 2 10mm bolts back into the valve cover. Tighten to spec, not more (you can strip them if not careful).

Step 5:
Clean the outer lip of the coil pack cover with rubbing alcohol. Install the supplied foam tape strip along the edge like so...

Step 6:
Reinstall the coil cover and the 2 flat head set screws. Turn them clockwise to tighten.

DONE!

Pictures courtesy of S2CarbonWorks.

They might be doing a Group BUY Discount on this heat shield soon, see the other thread for more details.
http://www.9thgencivic.com/forum/bolt-ons-all-motor/2878-r18-dress-up-cover.html#post38482

Attachments

Reactions: Digger

·
Blues Clues
1,002 Posts
aside from the aesthetics, does this thing do anything else. It honestly looks just like a simple sheet of metal to me.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's hardened stainless the one shown is brushed stainless but he can get polished for 10 bucks more.
The shield is for aesthetics.

Reactions: Digger

·
Registered
116 Posts
Its a nice dressup piece! It covers up the ugly cat/header and alternator. Definitely a clean, simple mod! +1

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
So how did you protect the O2 sensor from the heat shield? From the looks of it, the wiring will melt with continuous contact to high tempered material.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My o2 sensor is coated from the factory with a blue heat wrap. There is a couple inches exposed near the sensor at the exhaust manifold. Right now the shield doesn't touch my wiring. If it does in the future I will sleeve it in heat resistant wire loom material. Even though they use heat resistant wiring in all under hood wiring

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
My o2 sensor is coated from the factory with a blue heat wrap. There is a couple inches exposed near the sensor at the exhaust manifold. Right now the shield doesn't touch my wiring. If it does in the future I will sleeve it in heat resistant wire loom material. Even though they use heat resistant wiring in all under hood wiring
Good to know, how about the bottom side closest to the front of the heat shield. Does it hang or is it on top of something. I didnt see any instruction of bolting that side down.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It hangs there. But with it being hardened stainless it doesn't move much.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
I like the concept, idea, and it does the work by the looks of it, but I feel the product can be a bit more refined since I believe it will bend over time due to heat and gravity not including weather elements or driving habits yet. If anything maybe side brackets or a way to support the bottom side? This is all just a hunch from working on cars but since I don't actually see the product itself I cant say for sure.

·
Registered
116 Posts
There are no issues with it bending or falling over time. If you were to set something heavy on it might slightly bend but why would you do that? Lol

It's alot sturdier than you might think.
It's not flimsy at all

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
There are no issues with it bending or falling over time. If you were to set something heavy on it might slightly bend but why would you do that? Lol

It's alot sturdier than you might think.
It's not flimsy at all
Its not the sturdy or flimsy the steel feels that concerns me.

Following the order of mechanical physics, with the constant of gravitational force, and thermal energy from the the engine block. Most steel critical point is at about 1250F to 1500F (varies on steel grade) and a bends with the the slight force. The engine temperature can climb to 1000F with the average of 90degrees outside. It is true that it doesn't go to critical point but base on the length and the end weight of the steel it will be hot enough where over time it will bend without any end support or supportive structural shape. May not be in the first half year or so, but it will bend over time guaranteed. Since it was said that the O2 wire is only a few inches off, that's probably first to be damage with constant contact.

On the other hand nothing man made last, so just like a lot of other inventions and creations, its against time. Meaning I could be conclusively wrong and this may last 5 years, then it was worth its cost and functionality.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
These have been selling on the 8th since 2009. No complaints from anyone having issues with warping, or heat issues. And some ordered our cover back when it was a jdm only part.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Official Group buy for this item is now started! Check the bolt-ons/all motor forum.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I know im late, but where can i order one?? a link would be nice and are these for the 8th gen but fit the 9th?

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I am the car In The DIY. Yes it was made for the 8th. S2carbonworks.com or pm yakuza he is the owner of the shop. The group but is still on whenever we have 10 of a style
Mine is unpolished.
It has been installed on my vehicle for 8+ months with no issues

·
Registered
4 Posts
i want one! i tried calling them but it keeps going to voicemail... these people are hard to find! lmk if anyone can get a hold of them for me thanx!

·
Registered
116 Posts
We will be getting more in soon, sorry I have not been on here in awhile.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts