9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Vanilla Ice is my hero!!!
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
You don't have to use a switch for this mod if you don't want to. Skip to step 8 then just splice the black and brown wire in pic 3 together.

Here is my DIY on how to start your manual car without using the clutch. I do this so that my wife can start the car from the passenger seat or if I need to start the car from the outside when I'm working on it. This does not effect the use of cruise control. Don't forget to turn it back on to start the car without the clutch. You don't have to use a switch for this mod if you don't want to. Just splice the black and brown wire in step 8 pic 3 together.

*CAUTION*
*CAR WILL START IF LEFT IN GEAR*

Parts and tools needed:
Toggle switch (simple 2 terminal on/off switch)
2 pieces of wire 18" or so long (22-26 gauge) your choice
Plastic trim removal tools
Drill w/ drill bit (size of drill bit depends on the switch you use)
Wire stippers
2 splices (I used these splices 3M™ Scotchlok™ IDC Butt or Tap Connector
)
Soldering iron
Diagonal cutters

1. Solder 2 wires to switch
2. Pull off left side of dash trim using plastic trim tools. I started from bottom left, went up and then to the right. Be very gentle when prying.

3. Pull panel towards you. Then pinch these 2 tabs and push out the blank switch plastic piece.

4. Select drill size depending on which switch you use. Drill hole.

5. Cut out both plastic walls in the middle with diag cutters.

6. Get switch, insert into plastic switch blank.

7. Insert plastic switch blank back into panel, feed wires into frame, and snap panel back into dash.

8. Find clutch switch near clutch pedal and unplug connector (it's the one with the yellow connector). Then cut the electrical tape off of the wires.

9. Strip the other end of the wires from the switch about a 1/4 inch and splice wires into clutch connector wires.

And you're done.

Attachments

·
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Awsome diy...just curios if its in gear it still starts right?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Yes, it will still start in gear. I never put my car in gear when parked.

·
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Well I just tested the switch today....You don't need it. Cruise control works just fine. Just splicing the wires works to disable the clutch while starting the car.

I will edit this DIY when I get home. Work internet is slow.

·
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah, on the 8th gens there were lots of people that just jumpered the switch with a paperclip lol
Yeah that would work too. Just trim the clip down to an inch or so, make it U shaped and stick it in the end of the plug.

·
Registered
908 Posts
Yeah, it works great, especially for heavier clutches that need to have some oil pressure around the thrust bearings so they don't get torn up.

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,206 Posts
I'm impressed with the clarity of both the pictures and text of this DIY. This is the DIY's DIY!

·
Registered
241 Posts
Interesting. Now what would happen if a car starter was installed? Will process be similar to an automatic or still have the extra step for the manuals?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts