9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hello all. here's my first DIY. i got tired of the 'meep meep' horn real fast, so i decided to upgrade it to a more respectable horn. i went to college honda and ordered this part:
Horn Upgrade Kit - 38100T2A: College Hills Honda
it's plug -n- play; makes installation much easier

Parts Needed:
these next four parts were ordered from the local honda dealership. i've included the part numbers)
SI bracket for horn part # 38151-TR0-A00
005.jpg

connector shell (5 per pack) part # 04321-S87-305
006.jpg

pigtails (10 per pack) part # 04320-SP0-U10
003.jpg

grounding bolts part # 90150-S84-003 (you will need two, but since you can still use the bolt that was used in the original horn, you just need to get one if you decide to buy)
004.jpg

the rest of these were from the local auto parts store...
1) 16 ga wire, about 6 ft just to be on the safe side
2) vampire splicer
3) convoluted tubing sz 3/8", about 6 ft
4) heat shrink tubing
5) sandpaper

Tools
flathead screw driver
phillips screw driver
sockets:
8mm
10mm
12mm
3/16" hex key
wire stripper/cutter
long nose pliers
vise

Procedure
remove bumper. i used this video to help me out. pretty much spot on, except for the part where they did not show removing the two 10mm bolts at the bottom. once you start taking off the pins, you'll see these two bolts, pretty close to the front end.

before proceeding, make sure you sandpaper all contact points on the bracket, horns and car frame! you want to make sure all connections are metal to metal, otherwise the horns will not work. on the horn bracket, sand both sides of both holes. do the same on the car frame where you will be attaching the bracket, and also the mounting straps on the horn that will be bolted on the bracket.
the strap on the horn that will be closest to the fire wall needs to be bent on both ends, about half an inch or so, so it will have enough clearance from the other horn. this is where the vise comes in. just clamp about half an inch or so and bend it ever so slowly away from you. do the other end as well. by the time you get done. i forgot to take a picture of this... i'll post a pic tomorrow.
also, loosen up the nut attached to the horn just a bit; enough so you can adjust the angle once it's installed. now you're ready to go back outside and do the upgrade!

ok, back to the car...
once the bumper is off, the horn will be visible, it's right on the frame above the radiator. my sedan has only one horn. i cut the wire going to the horn. this is the positive wire. i then splice a 6 ft wire, covered it with the 3/8" convoluted tubing, and pretty much run it just above the radiator going towards the driver side, ending right behind the driver side fog light. there will be a bolt hole here intended for models that have two horns. here's a picture of what hole i'm talking about. i attached the horn bracket just for instruction purposes:
013.jpg

make sure the wire you're running is not interfering with the radiator fan and what not; and also make sure it's not getting pinched anywhere. once you got it to where you want it, cut the excess wire and tubing. now all you need to do is splice the two pigtails to it! going back to the pigtails:
assemble the wire harness that's gonna connect to the horns. the pigtails and connector shell from honda made this project so much easier. on top of that, it makes it water proof as well:
007.jpg

do two of these. once you got both of them assembled, cut off about 2" since it's going to be too long. now you're ready to splice these two wires to the main wire. it should look like the letter Y once you get done, like so:
023.jpg

you're almost done! attach the back horn to the bracket. make sure it's tight. attach the other horn to the bracket, then put it on the car frame. bolt it down. make sure both horn openings are facing down. attach the harnesses to the the horns.
024.jpg
before putting it all back together, make sure it works. so now you're done!

before (meep-meep - whiny sounding)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTrrlV3pEvk

after: (beep-beep - more balls)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGqetqzatfg

since the bumper was off, i went ahead and added a gutter guard on the bottom part:
022.jpg

also change the fog lights, and high beams...

that's it!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
you're welcome! just proofreading at the moment. if there's any questions, don't hesitate to ask!

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,203 Posts
Thanks for the DIY!

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Nicely done! Ah for the good old days when you didn't have to remove the bumper to work on the front end.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
haha! pretty much....

the strap on the horn that will be closest to the fire wall needs to be bent on both ends, about half an inch or so, so it will have enough clearance from the other horn. this is where the vise comes in. just clamp about half an inch or so and bend it ever so slowly away from you. do the other end as well. by the time you get done. i forgot to take a picture of this... i'll post a pic tomorrow.
this is the bend i was talking about. did it on the old horn as a demo
002.jpg

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hi Spunjer -

I assume when you started this, you only had the single form mounted above the radiator on the passenger side ?
Did you leave the stock fuse and wiring, or did you add a relay to your setup ?
I also assume the image you show is on the drivers side ?
Was there enough room behind the fog lamps ?

Thanks,
Dan

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi Spunjer -

a) I assume when you started this, you only had the single form mounted above the radiator on the passenger side ?
b) Did you leave the stock fuse and wiring, or did you add a relay to your setup ?
c) I also assume the image you show is on the drivers side ?
d) Was there enough room behind the fog lamps ?

Thanks,
Dan
a) yes, the cheap looking horn on post #8
b) yes, left everything as it is. basically, just cut the wire connected to the stock horn and went from there
c) yes, that's base on the accord horns i added. i don't know about the aftermarkets, tho
d) and finally, yes, the accord horn setup does not extend past the frame. there's definitely plenty of room

·
Registered
48 Posts
a) yes, the cheap looking horn on post #8
b) yes, left everything as it is. basically, just cut the wire connected to the stock horn and went from there
c) yes, that's base on the accord horns i added. i don't know about the aftermarkets, tho
d) and finally, yes, the accord horn setup does not extend past the frame. there's definitely plenty of room
Thank you for taking the time to answer Spunjer -
This was exactly what I was looking for -
Dan

·
Registered
290 Posts
Why couldn't you just cut the horn wire right at the connector and just splice these two new wires and connectors to the main OEM wire ?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Why couldn't you just cut the horn wire right at the connector and just splice these two new wires and connectors to the main OEM wire ?
that's pretty much exactly what i did. only thing, i have to extend the wire down to where i have it installed now since where the OEM horn was, there was no way the upgrade horns would've fit.

·
Registered
100 Posts
that's pretty much exactly what i did. only thing, i have to extend the wire down to where i have it installed now since where the OEM horn was, there was no way the upgrade horns would've fit.
Did you have to drill any holes?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
290 Posts
I see, I must of read it wrong then. This should pretty much be the same set up at the Si correct ??

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i'm not too sure how the SI's is set up, but from what i've read around, the high pitch horn on SI is on the radiator, and the lower pitch is right behind the driver side foglight, which, incidentally, it's where i attached the dual horn setup since there was a pre-drilled hole in that area which i'm assuming, was for the horn bracket. when i ordered the bracket for my set up, it was indeed made for the SI model. it just so happen the bracket was perfect for the dual horn set up though, albeit a little bit on the tight side. hey, it worked though!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Since the Si has 2 horns, can i assume that it will be a simple plug and play without having to do all this wiring work? I have a '13 Si. Thanks for the DIY!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Time to revive this thread ;-)

@Spunjer - thank you for the detailed write-up.

We just added a new 2015 EX to the family and I have a few questions:

1. Any idea how to find out whether I have 1 or 2 stock horns (other than remove the top grill cover and disconnect the horn on the top just for the sake of finding out)?

2. Isn't there a way of using a female connector at the end of the extension wire, into the original horn plug? It is a leased car and I can't mess with cutting wires.

3. Is there definitely no space to tuck the two upgraded horns on the top, perhaps between the a/c condenser and the bumper, maybe by extending a bracket a little forward and then down? Last thing I want to do is removing the bumper. Done that before in 2013 Accord and sure enough one of the clips did not survive. I hate messing with plastic parts and trims in cars.

Edit: Forgot to add - why would you want to sand the body? This could cause rust, could it not?

Thanks.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts