9th Gen Civic Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Time to revive this thread ;-)

@Spunjer - thank you for the detailed write-up.

We just added a new 2015 EX to the family and I have a few questions:

1. Any idea how to find out whether I have 1 or 2 stock horns (other than remove the top grill cover and disconnect the horn on the top just for the sake of finding out)?

2. Isn't there a way of using a female connector at the end of the extension wire, into the original horn plug? It is a leased car and I can't mess with cutting wires.

3. Is there definitely no space to tuck the two upgraded horns on the top, perhaps between the a/c condenser and the bumper, maybe by extending a bracket a little forward and then down? Last thing I want to do is removing the bumper. Done that before in 2013 Accord and sure enough one of the clips did not survive. I hate messing with plastic parts and trims in cars.

Edit: Forgot to add - why would you want to sand the body? This could cause rust, could it not?

Thanks.

I have a 2015 EX. I removed the top plastic cover, A new horn did not want to fit. I removed the bolt that holds the stock horn to the bracket, I attached the ground wire and new horn bracket to that, so basically my new horn is mounted to the existing horn. I had to grab the new bracket with a pair of vice grips and pressed it against my garage floor to re-shape it. (you can use a less brute method if you prefer)

I tried to honk the horn with no horn attached on top, and there was no sound. I am assuming there is no horn under the bumper, unless the horns are connected in series (the missing horn would make an incomplete circuit.)

There was an air-horn for $80 at pep boys that would have fit, but I really did not want to pay $80 for a horn. It claims to be twice as loud as a stock horn. (seems like a baseless claim though, as I assume that not all stock horns have the same volume.(

I Decided to use one of the blue "tap in connectors to the stock wire, and since the stock horn was there, I decided to leave both plugged in. It sounds really mean.

The horn I bought, came in a two pack for $25 at Pep Boys, including the high and low, separately they are $20 each...If I ever pull the bumper and find another horn, i'll replace that with the other new one.

The horn kit: ( I pulled the red thing off to save a little space. )

https://www.pepboys.com/product/details/8403184/00772

The connector: ( I used a connector that was already hanging around, you might might to get one for smaller wires if you can find one )

https://www.pepboys.com/product/details/30004909/00772

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have a 2015 EX. I removed the top plastic cover, A new horn did not want to fit. I removed the bolt that holds the stock horn to the bracket, I attached the ground wire and new horn bracket to that, so basically my new horn is mounted to the existing horn. I had to grab the new bracket with a pair of vice grips and pressed it against my garage floor to re-shape it. (you can use a less brute method if you prefer)

I tried to honk the horn with no horn attached on top, and there was no sound. I am assuming there is no horn under the bumper, unless the horns are connected in series (the missing horn would make an incomplete circuit.)

There was an air-horn for $80 at pep boys that would have fit, but I really did not want to pay $80 for a horn. It claims to be twice as loud as a stock horn. (seems like a baseless claim though, as I assume that not all stock horns have the same volume.(

I Decided to use one of the blue "tap in connectors to the stock wire, and since the stock horn was there, I decided to leave both plugged in. It sounds really mean.

The horn I bought, came in a two pack for $25 at Pep Boys, including the high and low, separately they are $20 each...If I ever pull the bumper and find another horn, i'll replace that with the other new one.

The horn kit: ( I pulled the red thing off to save a little space. )

https://www.pepboys.com/product/details/8403184/00772

The connector: ( I used a connector that was already hanging around, you might might to get one for smaller wires if you can find one )

https://www.pepboys.com/product/details/30004909/00772
Thanks. I ended up pulling a wire from the original horn connector down to behind the front bumper (had to remove the bumper) and installed two (high and low) Honda horns behind where the driver's side fog light would be. A little far from the right side of the car, but still better.
I also did not cut the original horn connector, I got an old Honda horn from a junk yard, extracted the female connector from it and made my own Honda male horn connector in case I want to return everything to original.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Thanks. I ended up pulling a wire from the original horn connector down to behind the front bumper (had to remove the bumper) and installed two (high and low) Honda horns behind where the driver's side fog light would be. A little far from the right side of the car, but still better.
I also did not cut the original horn connector, I got an old Honda horn from a junk yard, extracted the female connector from it and made my own Honda male horn connector in case I want to return everything to original.
Did it turn out that there was a stock horn behind the bumper, or only the one on top?

·
Registered
169 Posts
Yes there is a 2nd horn behind the left lower bumper (15 si coupe) in front of the resonator assembly. I unplugged & capped the connector. I went with hella dual air horns mounted in the space of the left fender liner.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Si's have 2 horns i do believe...all other's have a single. now, there may be a connector down there behind the bumper, driver's side for a horn...but, not there unless you have the Si.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello, Thanks a lot for your post, I am preparing to do it on our 2013 Civic
My question is how did you attach both horns on one bracket that you bought from the dealer?
And can I use the original bracket that is on top left of the radiator?
Thanks in advance

21 - 28 of 28 Posts