9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a dilemma..

Just bought my first handgun and I need to show a proof of residency.. All my utility bills that WOULD work are mailed to my current address but my Driver's license address is my parent's address still (just never updated). My civic is also in my dad's name which is saving me lots of $$ per year so I can't use registration either...yet

1st... I understand that there can be 2 names to a car registration such as spouses... but can there be 3??

2nd... To add a name is it the same process as transferring the title and if so.. do both parties need to be there or can one person do the transaction?

3rd... Has anyone simply gifted a car to a family member to avoid taxes and smog cert? If so how was the process.. both parties needed, any extra paperwork needed besides car title and possibly insurance?

Thanks for reading through... I have combed DMV's website and have a good info but its always nice to hear it in plain english from someone who's been through it before.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Is this for your DROS? Use a rental agreement if they still accept those. I assume they took your money and are holding you responsible for a restocking fee if you back out?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Is this for your DROS? Use a rental agreement if they still accept those. I assume they took your money and are holding you responsible for a restocking fee if you back out?
Yeah its for the DROS.. my money is long gone because it was through a private party and we just used the shop to transfer the title. Can't believe how much of a hassle CA makes it...

I could find a free lease agreement online but then I'd need to get it notarized. I'll look into it thanks.. the whole notarized thing sounded like a pain

1 - 3 of 3 Posts