9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive read that every single aftermarket down pipe will crack at some point,even if you have an upgraded RMM installed.

Ive also read that the Ktuned pipe is the best because of the 2 piece design,but it still leaks at the flange, eventually.

Is any of this true? Anyone have a DP longer than 3 years with no issues?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I would say that might be true. I've had the Full Race Gen 1 DP for over 3 years now. I'd say after the first few months I had to ship it back to get it re-welded at the flange which had developed a crack running along the top of the weld and part way down both sides. I wouldn't be surprised if it has since cracked again,pretty sure it is, but I don't have the patience to deal with it. Any of the casted flanges look like they would hold up much better.

·
Registered
159 Posts
The big problem is that none of the aftermarket downpipes have the lower attachment point like the stock one does, so it puts a lot of stress on any of the welded joints. Without that additional attachment point, they will all fail eventually.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
702 Posts
I purchased my RV-6 DP from a member. used with 1k miles onit. i have put around 40k miles on my car. NE winters since 2016.
RMM and upper Torque mount. No cracks yet.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I used the RV6 downpipe for 4 years, lots of miles the last year. I also live in the rust belt...never had a issue with the downpipe with everything else stock. No after market engine mounts or anything.
I believed alot of issues was not having a flex joint on the downpipe, or too small of a flex joint. I had the subframe off during clutch change, and the stock motor mounts are very soft...I can see how the engine could flex and break the downpipe.

·
Registered
12 Posts
In my 2013 Si I had a Skunk 2 and on the 2015 Si, I had a Ktuned catless. On both cars, I filled the upper and lower (rear) factory engine mounts within a month of purchasing the vehicle. This provided me with about 90% of the comfort of stock mounts with about 90% of the control of the aftermarket poly mounts.

The Skunk 2 never cracked and it's still running hard with the new owners. The Ktuned never cracked or came loose per se, but the sealant at the flange joint did begin to leak, twice.

Re-did the sealant the first time. Screw that. I contacted Boost Monkey and ordered a 3", 2-hole, high-heat exhaust gasket. Installed that in early 2017 with minimal trimming around the two studs and it's still rock-solid to this day. This is my wife's daily driver now; if it leaked, I'd have heard about it loud and clear.

Hope that this helps. Best of luck to everyone!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Ive read that every single aftermarket down pipe will crack at some point,even if you have an upgraded RMM installed.

Ive also read that the Ktuned pipe is the best because of the 2 piece design,but it still leaks at the flange, eventually.

Is any of this true? Anyone have a DP longer than 3 years with no issues?
I've had the Ktuned, 2-piece on our 2015 Si for about 4-years. It did continue to leak at the flange till I ordered an actual gasket from Boost Monkey for that junction.

Brought it to a exhaust/muffler shop that's some great work for me, had them remove the pipe section, clean off the old sealant, then reassemble with the gasket. That resolved the leaking so far.

I didn't replace the RMM but instead, filled the lower/rear and upper mounts. 90% of the rigidity of the poly RMM with virtually 100% of the comfort of stock mounts. Stopped the wheel hop and dramatically improved power transitions while cornering.

Obviously, it hasn't cracked. I'm pretty happy with it other than wishing I'd gone with the high-flow cat version. It's not meant to pass immissions, but I'd still be happy with a couple less ponies in trade for the huge reduction in fumes.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I've had the Ktuned, 2-piece on our 2015 Si for about 4-years. It did continue to leak at the flange till I ordered an actual gasket from Boost Monkey for that junction.

Brought it to a exhaust/muffler shop that's some great work for me, had them remove the pipe section, clean off the old sealant, then reassemble with the gasket. That resolved the leaking so far.

I didn't replace the RMM but instead, filled the lower/rear and upper mounts. 90% of the rigidity of the poly RMM with virtually 100% of the comfort of stock mounts. Stopped the wheel hop and dramatically improved power transitions while cornering.

Obviously, it hasn't cracked. I'm pretty happy with it other than wishing I'd gone with the high-flow cat version. It's not meant to pass immissions, but I'd still be happy with a couple less ponies in trade for the huge reduction in fumes.
It seems like the common denominator with cracked DP's is that the stock RMM was left as such. Anyone running a stock RMM with a aftermarket DP that hasn't had any issues?

Does K-Tuned have a catted version? I can't seem to find it if so.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts