9th Gen Civic Forum banner

Do I really need a tune for an intake? Also need help finding the best intake

16K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  KDiggityDog76 
#1 ·
Hi everyone I had a Takeda short ram intake on my old 2012 Accord coupe LX-S 5 speed. I currently have a 2015 Civic si Coupe, and I thought that the Accord and the SI had the same or a very similar motor, and many people here seem to say it needs a tune.. I don't want to lose power but I love that sound and the dealership never cared I had an intake even though it was a lease.. I've seen a Takeda intake that was a cone but in a box, also saw the skunk ones.. which ones are really tested and proven? My Accord definatly had a bit more pull and midrange but not too high almost like it could rev a little longer with the Takeda. Also with the SI do I need to remove the number and all of that fancy stuff? In the accord I just needed a wrench and a tight squeeze. I tried to lose the tube near the resonator but it wasn't a true Cai sound to it and it would be hot air.

#2 ·
Wow. I am an engineer and that is to many words of the English language for me to take in at one setting so I will try and help you out with my interpretation. An application designed SRI is a nice addition to the SI as it provides throttle response and killer sound. Unfortunately it has also been proven that a SRI or modified stock air box provides little to no H.P./torque increase. You may actually be running the motor lean which is not a good condition. So I suggest rather than exhaust or intake 'sounds' and butt dyno's, save up for FlashPro Bluetooth Version. If nothing else, you can mount a Samsung tablet on your dash and use Bluetooth to show all your engine vitals (a.k.a. gauges to impress your friends at night) while you can adjust things like your max RPM, if you want stoplight, rolling start, or overall quarter mile E.T.'s. You can fine tune your car to what you are doing on the fly. Then after you buy actual go fast parts, you can add these to your tune. Totally customizable and if you need to sell, you will get almost your full cost back. When you get really fast, pay VitTune and extra $100 and have your mind blown.

#5 · (Edited)
I think a tune is worth while regardless of what mods you have. Even a stock Si will benefit from a professional tune.

Just keep in mind: Once you get a tune, you will never have the stock tune back. The "stock" calibration Hondata provides is a stock equivalent tune. It's not the Honda factory tune. It's very close, no doubt, but it's not stock. I feel the difference.

#7 ·
So whats the best kind of intake? I cant narrow down all of the options, I see a Takeda short ram and a cold air, I see a Stage 2 style with a box for the cone and the K and N filter for 200 bucks thats a short ram with a heat shield.. I want sound but dont want too much heatsoak either.. I also dont want a true cold air as I dont want to remove the bumber if I can avoid it. Does anyone have a recomendation on which intake to get? They are all relatively expensive and i liked Takeda's customer care because once I lost a few pieces or the rubber cracked and they just shipped me a whole set for free.

#13 ·
Stock Si's benefit immensely from a VitTune. I speak from experience. And there's no need at all to remove the front bumper for a CAI install. The inner fender liner gives you plenty of access once you get the front wheel off the driver's side.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.