9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've never really understood why so many people refer to their car as a "she". I am older than most, and it has been this way for as long as I can remember and probably was the same way well before my time. I rarely hear a vehicle called a "he". So why are vehicles considered to be inherently female, or to have a gender at all?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Most people who are into cars are guys which is why they would name their car and refer to it as a she. Occasionally if you were to meet a woman who is into cars they would probably refer to their cars as a he.

·
I know who U R.
7,994 Posts

·
Registered
754 Posts
Probably true but still don't get it. As much as Ilove my cars, I can't have sex with them.
You are thinking WAY to far into it.

But just to humor you..

Vessels of most any kind are associated with females because of the womb. Even something like a chair, sella, is feminine probably because it holds or supports you. Where as gladius, a sword, is a masculine term in the Latin language.

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,104 Posts
I generally don't name my cars, or refer to them as male or female.

One car was named for an animal, and one car drew a name while I was using the online configurator to build it, and it happened to be a male name, which I used through the 6 years I had the car. My present car's name was inspired by a vehicle in a novel, but I don't refer to it has he or she. In the novel, the vehicle's operator referred to it as a 'she,' but I don't. It's 'it,' 'the car,' or 'the Civic.'

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You are thinking WAY to far into it.

But just to humor you..

Vessels of most any kind are associated with females because of the womb. Even something like a chair, sella, is feminine probably because it holds or supports you. Where as gladius, a sword, is a masculine term in the Latin language.
Good answer! Never thought of that.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I generally don't name my cars, or refer to them as male or female.

One car was named for an animal, and one car drew a name while I was using the online configurator to build it, and it happened to be a male name, which I used through the 6 years I had the car. My present car's name was inspired by a vehicle in a novel, but I don't refer to it has he or she. In the novel, the vehicle's operator referred to it as a 'she,' but I don't. It's 'it,' 'the car,' or 'the Civic.'
I don't name them either. That also seems odd to me.

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,104 Posts
Try some Marvel Mystery Oil.

·
Question Authority
6,424 Posts
Honda named my car, "Honda Civic EX". I had nothing to do with it. I don't know what gender that is......:)

·
Baned
8,521 Posts
My cars are gender-neutral because I don't want to assign them a gender-specific name in the case that they decide to switch sexes. My Civic Si is named Ngoc Tran and the Fit is Viet Nguyen. More interesting to me than names or gender of cars is nationality people assign their vehicles.

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,104 Posts
My cars are gender-neutral because I don't want to assign them a gender-specific name in the case that they decide to switch sexes. My Civic Si is named Ngoc Tran and the Fit is Viet Nguyen. More interesting to me than names or gender of cars is nationality people assign their vehicles.
You could have named it something like Pat or Les.

·
I know who U R.
7,994 Posts
Wow you really gave those names some thought c👀l names though.I call my car b👶by.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
I Need A Vacation
13,117 Posts
Probably true but still don't get it. As much as Ilove my cars, I can't have sex with them.
No, but you can have sex in them so maybe referring to ones car as a he would be a little uncomfortable.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts