Official K24Z7 Crew #372

·
Bluestar's winch!!
8,762 Posts
And if I recall, she races with it.

·
Registered
732 Posts
FYI Axion is close to finishing a Ported K24 head for regular production and sale. It's on their FB. No pricing yet. Might be an easier way to go

·
Registered
341 Posts
So is it safe to say the k20z3 head will fit? Looks like there is one oil passage that does not line up completely but they act as if its not a problem by adding a little extra sealant. They also relocated the oil filter, swapped a k20 oil pump which required a little grinding on the block for clearance/fitment. All these are minor modifications that aren't too hard to do.

·
Registered
8,204 Posts
So is it safe to say the k20z3 head will fit? Looks like there is one oil passage that does not line up completely but they act as if its not a problem by adding a little extra sealant. They also relocated the oil filter, swapped a k20 oil pump which required a little grinding on the block for clearance/fitment. All these are minor modifications that aren't too hard to do.
Just because it bolts on doesn't mean its safe and will run safely for a long time.

·
Registered
341 Posts
That's what everyone said about the LS/Vtec swap YEARS ago. They also said that about the B20/Vtec swaps also.
I'm not giving up hope on a head swap. Just gotta give it more time and I'm sure someone will figure it out. Only a matter of time before some company makes a special head gasket or something.

·
Registered
8,204 Posts
That's what everyone said about the LS/Vtec swap YEARS ago. They also said that about the B20/Vtec swaps also.
And to this day they're still not reliable,and leak,and run poorly after a few thousand.your lucky to get 10000 miles safely without any hiccups.so it still holds true.

·
Registered
21 Posts
You The swap is pretty straighforward, costly but easy. My car is used on a regular basis and goes to the track for timetrial events regularly and no problem at all. It runs same as oem with the right tune. Its worth the swap cause the car is a beast

·
Aluminium Member
2,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the info.
Do you mind posting pics/vide?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Questions is, how much more beneficial is it to do this? We know the K20 head is superior but by what margin? If 300 NA whp is achievable on the K24 head, is it really worth the swap?
If its a simple bolt-on with no modifications then that's a different story. The cutting, welding and relocating doesn't sit well with me.

·
Registered
8,204 Posts
Nothing out there to prove or disprove yet.aren't guys making k25 franks barely in the 300 whp na?and the z7 is still fairly newish.I wouldn't throw in the towel yet.
I remember jun made some cams that did away with VTEC in general and ran like a madhat.kinda like VTEC on at all times.so whose to really say the z7 is an absolute failure?just saying

·
Registered
155 Posts
Nothing out there to prove or disprove yet.aren't guys making k25 franks barely in the 300 whp na?and the z7 is still fairly newish.I wouldn't throw in the towel yet.
I remember jun made some cams that did away with VTEC in general and ran like a madhat.kinda like VTEC on at all times.so whose to really say the z7 is an absolute failure?just saying
Agreed.

·
Registered
21 Posts
The main difference is that k20 flows much better and has Vtec on both cams, the k24z7 only has it on the intake side and the exhaust restricts a lot the engine. As to whp it all depends on the combinations of compression and cams and the purpose of the build. My car is for Track Events, timetrials and AutoX so I wanted a healthy powerband with a good mid-range. HPD runs their 9th gen world challenge cars with a stock enegine with k20 heads and they are producing around 250whp.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 59 Posts