9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys, so before i begin this long explanation of my problem, i do want to mention that I've used google and went over the topics about this area on the forum and there isn't a direct answer, to be blunt, i'm not looking for a direct answer, i just want to understand this situation in a more elaborate manner, so that I can somehow come to a conclusion myself.

If you've read topics about non-OEM fog lights, you do see issues where the AC 7.5 Amp fuse keeps blowing for some people, and I am of course, one of those unlucky people.

What really confuses me is how the AC fuse blows, causing both the AC and the FOG to lose its function, and not the FOG light's fuse.
This is the exact item that i bought
Honda Civic Sedan 4DR 2012 2013 Fog Lights Lamp with Wires Kit Switch | eBay

It's been installed in my civic and everything's been wired up. It has worked, lights came on, drove around, ac works, 100% functional. After 4 days of it being functional, I simply started the car and noticed my ac is not working and because of reading past posts, I knew not to panic and what the problem was, so I tried the fogs, na-da. After thinking to myself "damn" I came on the forum and read through everything that was there to be read about this topic.
People who have got it working have said that there shouldn't be any problems at all and that their fuse doesn't blow.
however, there seems to be problems.

I've noticed that provided with this item is a 15 amp low profile fuse to be used as the fuse for the light but
the OEM one states that it uses a 20AMP fuse. Knowing a bit about how fuse works and knowing the potential dangers of increasing amp levels on a fuse, I stayed with the 15 AMP fuse for the FOG and the 7.5 Amp for the AC. After replacing the blown fuse, everything worked(this was today), couple of hours later, the fog lights did not turn on, the ac did not turn on. It was back to this again, but the fused blown out too soon which only means there is a loose wire or there has to be a process of turning this mofo on and off without blowing shit up.

That's my story, and my story ends with questions.
1. why does the ac fuse blow instead of the fog light's fuse, how are they related?
2. does it matter where the grounded wire is grounded? (the hood release attachment)
3. if upon increasing amp levels on the fog's fuse, but the ac fuse keeps blowing, what can be other reasons
4. can the provided relay portray a problem ?

I can simply drop $100 more for an OEM fog light unit, but where's the adventure and learning in that?
If i do find a fix, know for sure that i will post it and let other people who face this problem know the fix.
Please help this brotha out~

answer?edit:
Alright guys, i probably solved the problem now.
It was something that i figured would be the problem, but wasn't sure.
The problem was a bad relay: I replaced the relay with a new one my eBay seller shipped to me and there seems to be no problem; however, if you cannot get obtain a new relay, keep reading.
My theory on how this fixes the fuse not blowing is this: Relays are suppose to be an on and off switch for bigger electrical currents by using a smaller electrical current as the switch, but if a relay is bad, it doesnt have full control of whether the current escapes or stays and that's why everytime you start your car, the bad relay cannot control it's current causing a surge big enough to blow your fuse.(maybe wrong, or right)

During the time period i was waiting for the relay to be shipped(1 week), I changed the ac ignition fuse from 7.5a to 10a and it had no problems.
The problem it self was a surge of electricity that was passing through the fuse during ignition, both from fogs and ac(from stock, this fuse was only suppose to handle the ac's current, but non-oem fog lights, such as mine, uses power from another source, in my case it was the ac); therefore, the fuse kept blowing. I know that increasing fuse limitation is hazardous, but i did test it out and did not find any hot wires, nor any danger, but this is all in uncertainty and i do not hold liability if you do increase fuse limitations and happen to find something wrong.
The only time the fuse blew was during ignition, when you start your car.
I hope this has been of help for those who has faced blowing fuse from eBay vendors that sell their non-oem Fogs.

tip: if you find that none of these methods work, check your ground wire under your dash, make sure it is touching metal that is not covered with paint. Also, electrical tape all your wires to ensure no shorting.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
do you have any type of input on it though :)? do you have fog lights on your civic? oem or nonoem

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes I have OEM fogs on my SI.
oh nice, thanks. If you installed it by yourself, do you know, from the top of your head, if you used a 20 amp fuse or a 15 amp fuse? and if the fuse was under the hood in the fuse box or under the dash in that fuse box

·
Premium Member
8,336 Posts
They came on the car new, but I do not know where the fuse is either. That is something I need to know, so I will check tomorrow:)

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
They came on the car new, but I do not know where the fuse is either. That is something I need to know, so I will check tomorrow:)
sweet, honestly loving your input, small or big.
Just let me know back on this post of your findings.
From what I've seen, there is a place to hold a fuse of the fogs underneath the hood

·
Registered
730 Posts
From another thread,

pinaygirlcassy
Quote:
Originally Posted by sp0t
Curious, how did you blow fuses?
well it included a 15 fuse instead of the 20a one it says to put in the college hills honda instructions. idk why they gave a 15 one but yeah that was the reason lol

I think you should check the instructions from College Hills Honda, to Pinaygirlcassy it worked.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Also, if a wrong fuse is the problem, you can recalculate the fuse...

Current (A) = Power consumption (watts from fog lights) / Voltage (12 vdc)

Reactions: Digger

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
a simple physic equation that i did not account for.. thank you very much.
how did i miss that post.. I will try this out after calculating everything and yes i did see 20 amps in the college hill's instruction, but knowing that this was non oem and college hill was instructing those using the OEM, i just went with what was provided not wanting to burn anything.

I'll see what the watts are on the bulbs and get back to this post.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I haven't checked what would be then optimum amp to use , but I'm still confused upon how the ac fuse keeps blowing

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
update: installed 20a fuse into the fog's fuse, but the 7.5a fuse for AC still blew, my fourth one, yay.

i'm gonna go back to step one and look underneath the bumper, electrical tape everything, exposed or not, and scrape paint off the surfaces that the ground wires are attached to, same for the wires underneath the dash. wish me luck. **** this shit.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Ive got a similar problem sounds like there pinned wrong on the connector. Dosent make sense why they would have anything to do with the ac fuse. As for bad connection on earth shouldnt blow a fuse. The only thing to blow a fuse is if +12v touchs earth somewhere. On mine a didnt even have a fuse in the fog light and i had +12v on the white wire. Which i though should come from the fuse i hadnt put in.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
lol that's exactly it, it doesn't make sense to me so there must be some interference in the circuit somewhere. I'm going to look for that when i have the chance. Did you find out which one of your fuse blew? if not, do you know what happened

·
Registered
50 Posts
lol that's exactly it, it doesn't make sense to me so there must be some interference in the circuit somewhere. I'm going to look for that when i have the chance. Did you find out which one of your fuse blew? if not, do you know what happened
It was fuse 35 in the book its called illumination anyone know what is on this fuse. If its say dome light or boot light i might change them to led that way i might get away with same fuse size. It had 7.5amp i realy dont want to put a bigger one.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
okay, that sounds about similar to how third party fog lights work. apparently, these non-oem fogs draw power from another source, not their own. I've talked to a honda technician and that's what he said. I'm going to talk to the person i bought this fog from and see what they can do to help. One thing for sure, the surge of voltage that goes through the 7.5a fuse when starting the engine blows my ac fuse because, i guess my non-oem fogs are drawing power from the ac power.. assumptions though.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Ok so i finished work and looked into it more.i left the fuse out started the car and check engine emission came on. So i placed a new fuse wired it all up. Works well no more blowing fuses. Till when no idea ive got 35watt hid 3000k lights with ballasts in so i might be ok on the current draw. Thats 70watts at 12.5v about 5.5amps as long as the emissions stays under 2 amps im good. Anyone know how much the emissions circuit actually drags.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Alright guys, i probably solved the problem now.
It was something that i figured would be the problem, but wasn't sure.
The problem was a bad relay: I replaced the relay with a new one my eBay seller shipped to me and there seems to be no problem; however, if you cannot get obtain a new relay, keep reading.
My theory on how this fixes the fuse not blowing is this: Relays are suppose to be an on and off switch for bigger electrical currents by using a smaller electrical current as the switch, but if a relay is bad, it doesnt have full control of whether the current escapes or stays and that's why everytime you start your car, the bad relay cannot control it's current causing a surge big enough to blow your fuse.(maybe wrong, or right)

During the time period i was waiting for the relay to be shipped(1 week), I changed the ac ignition fuse from 7.5a to 10a and it had no problems.
The problem it self was a surge of electricity that was passing through the fuse during ignition, both from fogs and ac(from stock, this fuse was only suppose to handle the ac's current, but non-oem fog lights, such as mine, uses power from another source, in my case it was the ac); therefore, the fuse kept blowing. I know that increasing fuse limitation is hazardous, but i did test it out and did not find any hot wires, nor any danger, but this is all in uncertainty and i do not hold liability if you do increase fuse limitations and happen to find something wrong.
The only time the fuse blew was during ignition, when you start your car.
I hope this has been of help for those who has faced blowing fuse from eBay vendors that sell their non-oem Fogs.

tip: if you find that none of these methods work, check your ground wire under your dash, make sure it is touching metal that is not covered with paint. Also, electrical tape all your wires to ensure no shorting.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I just installed my non oem fogs with a 3k hid kit & my ac & power mirrors stopped working, i see now this is common so I'm not trippin as much, how are your fogs coming along? Have they blown any fuses since you got the new relay?
I don't want to add a new fuse until I fix the problem should I restart everything from step one?
Also I used the red & white cable & spliced it with the blue cable, did u do the same?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts