9th Gen Civic Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know how to take the base cover and skull cap off the door mirrors? I'm trying to wrap these pieces, and I would rather do that with them off the car.

From the looks of it, the skull cap has some clips that can be popped off, but I think I'm going to have to take the mirror glass off for that - and the base cover I have no idea.

Thanks in advance.

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,625 Posts
Hi, cono, and welcome to 9th gen.

·
Premium Member
8,536 Posts
I'm sure there is a DIY on here somewhere that says how to remove what you want. I can't search for it right now because the app's search is quite limited. I'll look for it later if no one else chimes in with the link or a how-to.

sent from my mobile communications device

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,625 Posts
Yes, D, there is something here about it because I had posted months ago that my mirror covers were different, from the factory. One is finished in EX trim and the other in LX trim. Someone had posted that the pieces come off easily, except I don't remember how to do it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay, for anyone that's following this thread, I have an update:

For the skull cap, you will need to take off the mirror glass. It pops off, but there is a little glue on the back of the mirror, so you may want to heat it a little. There are clips on the back of the skull cap that hold it on to the door mirror assembly, and will require a bit of force to pop off. I was able to do it with a flat head screwdriver.

For the base covers, I still have no idea - so I'm all ears if anyone knows how to do this.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Catching up on some reading and I just found this thread. I had swapped my mirror covers before, wrapped in cf, and you don't have to remove the mirror. Just got to pull on the mirror cap with smooth even force and the clips will pop. You can pry with a trim tool as we'll just pry the edge and push the cap off. It's not easy but it will go.

On he subject of wrapping these pieces. The fitment ok the cap is very tight. I was able to wrap the cap but when I put it back on it would not fit snug with an extra layer of vinyl. Maybe the vinyl your using is thinner but the 3m dinoc cf vinyl is thick and did not really fit. This meant I either needed to force it and rip the film or cut it off the seam. Either way the result was the same. Without a full wrap on the edge it slowly peeled over a few weeks and I had to remove it.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

1 - 6 of 6 Posts