9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

my 2012 civic lx is currently 7,000 km... I was wondering if anyone else has this problem or can confirm this for me...

Whenever I park (facing) downhill regardless how shallow the slope is... and put the car in park, it feels as if I'm sitting on top of a jackhammer, the car vibrates as if its sitting ontop of some mechanical dildo......

When I asked my dealer regarding this issue he simply says "that's normal all 2012 civics do this... the only work around is put handbrake before gearshifting it to park"

Is this true?

Thanks!

·
Registered
220 Posts
I think that is normal, with any automatic I always apply the handbrake before taking my foot off of the floor brake. When you don't do it, your car will pop real loud while going from park to drive.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just go directly to "park" and remain at park... the car continues to vibrate quite intensely and not stop... it is surprising this is normal....

·
Registered
220 Posts
I just go directly to "park" and remain at park... the car continues to vibrate quite intensely and not stop... it is surprising this is normal....

Now I see what you're saying. It just vibrates like hell when parked on a downhill slope??? Well that's messed up and it is not normal at all. Don't let Honda tell you that's normal because. They just say that when they don't know what to do. Have you taken it to the dealership and actually showed them the problem as it's happening?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I went to the dealer just an hour ago.. and he said "Thats how the car is designed if you dont believe me go test another honda Civic"...

that is why I am asking you guys on the foruem

·
Registered
220 Posts
I went to the dealer just an hour ago.. and he said "Thats how the car is designed if you dont believe me go test another honda Civic"...

that is why I am asking you guys on the foruem
Bull shit, Honda pisses me off sometimes! I think you should take them up on that offer and test drive another 2012 Civic LX at their dealership and compare....does it really make sense that a car would vibrate like a beast in park on a slope...NO...that's the problem! Honda does everything they can to reduce road noise and any type of vibration, so it makes no sense. The 2013 Civic Si is heavier because of the added road noise and vibration dampeners...so I know Honda's don't do that normally, it's not their philosophy.

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,538 Posts
In the situation the OP describes, putting the car in park, on a slope, without the handbrake, puts a lot of weight on the flywheel, and therefore the drivetrain, exposing all of it to the engine's pulsations. This could very well result in excessive vibration.

If you set the parking brake before putting the trans in park, you are not allowing the weight of the car to roll forward and rest on the flywheel, so the engine's harmonics will not pass through all of it, resulting in less, or no excessive vibration.

Now, there is no guarantee what I'm telling you is the answer, but try it. If the vibration goes away, or diminshes significantly, at least you'll know why, and that it's not a fault of the car.

·
Registered
496 Posts
I agree with scottyrocks, all the weight is on the parking pawl in the trans, vibrations go through that system, put the parking brake on and it should be gone

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Well If the dealer gave such an explanation, it would show their competency and I would understand... instead of the arrogant I know what I'm talking about That's how the car is designed prove me wrong answer.....and not technical reasoning behind it... just this was the first time I experienced this and was surprised... all other 10 year old cars never had this problem on... a 10 degree slope (correction: 5 or less... )........

·
Registered
220 Posts
Well If the dealer gave such an explanation, it would show their competency and I would understand... instead of the arrogant I know what I'm talking about That's how the car is designed prove me wrong answer.....and not technical reasoning behind it... just this was the first time I experienced this and was surprised... all other 10 year old cars never had this problem on... a 10 degree slope (correction: 5 or less... )........
I totally agree with the flywheel concept but less than 5 degrees of slope seems like nothing. I suppose that any little bit could just make the harmonics transfer like scottyrocks said.

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,538 Posts
I agree with scottyrocks, all the weight is on the parking pawl in the trans, vibrations go through that system, put the parking brake on and it should be gone
Put the parking brake on before shifting to park. Very important.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts