9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As my name explains, I am new at this. I have a couple of months with a 2012 si sedan and looking to make it sound better and get some more performance out of it as well. I wasn’t sure where to begin though... should I get a downpipe first? Or the exhaust first? Should I get them at the same time? Does one bottleneck the other if one is stock and one is aftermarket? I do live in California so I imagine I would need a catted downpipe. Any advice or help would be appreciated and sorry if the question sounds dumb.

·
Registered
2012 Si. Black
20 Posts
Firstly, there is no such thing as a stupid question.
Secondly... If you could save the money and do a full downpipe + Exhaust swap all at once, that would be ideal, It won't bottleneck it much but it will definetely have a sound impact, the way my car would sound with adding a downpipe is night and day, it is my next purchase. But yes, you would want a catted downpipe, 100%.
also, like 75% chance you will want to have a tuner as well , does soo much and can also hide any codes from aftermarket parts. Especially if you are too add an intake.

·
Registered
2012 Si sedan
156 Posts
You will need either a Honda Flashpro or K-Tuner if you replace the downpipe or intake or your car will not run right. Our factory tunes don't like mods.

It's pretty agreed upon on here that the Full Race 3" downpipe makes the most power. The stock cat-back exhaust isn't much of a bottle neck, your best bet will be to swap out for a 3" catted downpipe. For example, Honda changed the rear exhaust design in 2014 which upped the peak HP by 4. An intake, downpipe, and tune will net you the most power compared to replacing the downpipe/exhaust.

·
Registered
2012 Si. Black
20 Posts
You will need either a Honda Flashpro or K-Tuner if you replace the downpipe or intake or your car will not run right. Our factory tunes don't like mods.

It's pretty agreed upon on here that the Full Race 3" downpipe makes the most power. The stock cat-back exhaust isn't much of a bottle neck, your best bet will be to swap out for a 3" catted downpipe. For example, Honda changed the rear exhaust design in 2014 which upped the peak HP by 4. An intake, downpipe, and tune will net you the most power compared to replacing the downpipe/exhaust.
thought so, just didnt wanna say he DID NEED until someone else did

·
Registered
18 Posts
As my name explains, I am new at this. I have a couple of months with a 2012 si sedan and looking to make it sound better and get some more performance out of it as well. I wasn’t sure where to begin though... should I get a downpipe first? Or the exhaust first? Should I get them at the same time? Does one bottleneck the other if one is stock and one is aftermarket? I do live in California so I imagine I would need a catted downpipe. Any advice or help would be appreciated and sorry if the question sounds dumb.
Since you have a 2012, your exhaust is pretty restrictive compared to the exhaust of the later 9th gens. A downpipe + exhaust is recommended but if you can only choose one, a downpipe would be ideal and still net you gains. These gains can be more apparent with a tune from the flashpro. However if you get a 3inch downpipe, it is mandatory to upgrade your rear motor mount. For a 2.5 inch the upgrade is optional but still recommended. The highest quality catted downpipes are the rv6 (2.5) and full race v2(3 inch).

·
Registered
18 Posts
It is recommended that the exhaust and downpipe have equal diameter for max gains. But beware that 3 inch exhausts are very loud with noticeable drone. Even a q300, a 2.75 inch and among the quietest of aftermarket exhausts got a ticket due to a loud exhaust in california.
"
"

"
"

·
Registered
2012 Si. Black
20 Posts
It is recommended that the exhaust and downpipe have equal diameter for max gains. But beware that 3 inch exhausts are very loud with noticeable drone. Even a q300, a 2.75 inch and among the quietest of aftermarket exhausts got a ticket due to a loud exhaust in california.
"
"

"
"
What are you running, rv6 downpipe with q300? i have a q300 right now but made custom to eliminate drone, but i want a downpipe so bad hahah debating which too get with least drone.

edit; must be a q300 thing... bad rear hangars lol, mine rattle as well

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Firstly, there is no such thing as a stupid question.
Secondly... If you could save the money and do a full downpipe + Exhaust swap all at once, that would be ideal, It won't bottleneck it much but it will definetely have a sound impact, the way my car would sound with adding a downpipe is night and day, it is my next purchase. But yes, you would want a catted downpipe, 100%.
also, like 75% chance you will want to have a tuner as well , does soo much and can also hide any codes from aftermarket parts. Especially if you are too add an intake.
About the tuners... do I need a k-tuner with the screen or does the cheaper one without a screen work just as good. Any pros or cons aside from having a visual display?

·
Registered
2012 Si. Black
20 Posts
About the tuners... do I need a k-tuner with the screen or does the cheaper one without a screen work just as good. Any pros or cons aside from having a visual display?
for our 9th gens, you want Hondata Flashpro w/ or w/o bluetooth, thats up too you. k-tuner is more for 10th gens. heard nothing but bad about ktuners on 9th gens, but my buddy has it on his 10th gen and loves it

it has usb port to plug into laptop anyways so you'll have a display... IF you own a laptop. :p

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Since you have a 2012, your exhaust is pretty restrictive compared to the exhaust of the later 9th gens. A downpipe + exhaust is recommended but if you can only choose one, a downpipe would be ideal and still net you gains. These gains can be more apparent with a tune from the flashpro. However if you get a 3inch downpipe, it is mandatory to upgrade your rear motor mount. For a 2.5 inch the upgrade is optional but still recommended. The highest quality catted downpipes are the rv6 (2.5) and full race v2(3 inch).
for our 9th gens, you want Hondata Flashpro w/ or w/o bluetooth, thats up too you. k-tuner is more for 10th gens. heard nothing but bad about ktuners on 9th gens, but my buddy has it on his 10th gen and loves it

it has usb port to plug into laptop anyways so you'll have a display... IF you own a laptop.
Does the Bluetooth allow you to use your phone as a display in real-time or is it intended for something else?

·
Registered
2012 CBP FG4
284 Posts

+1.
Purchase your tuning option based on what your preferred tuner wants.

Does the Bluetooth allow you to use your phone as a display in real-time or is it intended for something else?
Correct. There's a Hondata App that's pretty awesome.

·
Registered
2012 Si. Black
20 Posts

You must be an android user, I opened facebook this morning and heard NOTHING BUT BAD NEWS about ios's hondata app, apparently it is a PAID APP and it was even better when it was in they're free state. i'll stick to using my laptop. :D very glad i have access to one at this point!

·
Registered
873 Posts

You must be an android user, I opened facebook this morning and heard NOTHING BUT BAD NEWS about ios's hondata app, apparently it is a PAID APP and it was even better when it was in they're free state. i'll stick to using my laptop. :D very glad i have access to one at this point!
Ive got the free hondata app on my iphone xr and have never had any issues. Was just using it this morning 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
2012 Si. Black
20 Posts
Ive got the free hondata app on my iphone xr and have never had any issues. Was just using it this morning 🤷‍♂️
good to know man, will look into it later, my tuner should arrive today or tomorrow. :D i don't know **** all about them besides what i've read and thats why i keep saying apparently etc.
- what is the name of the FREE APP? had a quick look only saw the paid one. [doing a phone update now to see if thats issue]

·
Registered
2012 CBP FG4
284 Posts

I used the free app up until a few months ago when I switched to the paid app. And that was by recommendation of another forum member who was using the paid iOS version. The paid app had additional layouts and themes I wanted to try. I LOVE this theme and the Gauge list feature shown below is awesome. I usually don't pay for apps, but the guy who recommended it like it so much that I had to try. And I'm glad I did.

·
Registered
2012 CBP FG4
284 Posts
Just saw that it looks like they may have sunset the old app based on some comments from Hondata on the Google Play App

And there's only one option shown for iOS on their site.

·
Registered
2012 CBP FG4
284 Posts
You don't need a tune for just an exhaust mod. You will just benefit more with a tune.
Depends on what you mean by "exhaust mod". The FKX is the only DP that you don't have to get tuned with. Some people get by without a tune on the RV6 since it's only 2.5 in, but you won't be gaining any power without a tune, so kinda pointless.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts