9th Gen Civic Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Depends on what you mean by "exhaust mod". The FKX is the only DP that you don't have to get tuned with. Some people get by without a tune on the RV6 since it's only 2.5 in, but you won't be gaining any power without a tune, so kinda pointless.
There is no exhaust mod that will cause limp mode or a check engine light without a tune if installed properly. And just to make it more clear "mod" means modification so yes any mod.

Check engine lights and limp mode occur from intake mods because all the sensors that would trip a code are on that end of the process.

·
Registered
2012 CBP FG4
389 Posts
There is no exhaust mod that will cause limp mode or a check engine light without a tune if installed properly. And just to make it more clear "mod" means modification so yes any mod.

Check engine lights and limp mode occur from intake mods because all the sensors that would trip a code are on that end of the process.
Yeah, that's not true at all.

The O2 sensor is immediately after the exhaust port on the head. You're trying to say that the swapping to a catless dp doesn't need a tune?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Yeah, that's not true at all.

The O2 sensor is immediately after the exhaust port on the head. You're trying to say that the swapping to a catless dp doesn't need a tune?
No, I was not commenting on anything not street legal. Plus the O2 reading will not be different. Since no matter what you do to the exhaust system it will not change what happens in the combustion process. That produces the gases the O2 sensor reads. Plus the O2 sensor is before the cats so removing them doesn't change how the O2 sensor reads.

This all assumes you are installing everything properly and not running open headers or something. And "properly" meaning you are installing the correct parts. If you go catless there are O2 sensors for that setup since the stock one would need be the correct part any longer.

·
Registered
2012 CBP FG4
389 Posts
No, I was not commenting on anything not street legal. Plus the O2 reading will not be different. Since no matter what you do to the exhaust system it will not change what happens in the combustion process. That produces the gases the O2 sensor reads. Plus the O2 sensor is before the cats so removing them doesn't change how the O2 sensor reads.

This all assumes you are installing everything properly and not running open headers or something. And "properly" meaning you are installing the correct parts. If you go catless there are O2 sensors for that setup since the stock one would need be the correct part any longer.
None of it is street legal in CA. You can't modify anything emissions related. Your argument holds no water.

These cars don't even have headers man.

I'm sorry, but what you're saying is incorrect. Please don't spread misinformation. There are plenty of people here, who are much smarter than me, that have said the same thing that I have, numerous times before.

·
Registered
16 Posts
None of it is street legal in CA. You can't modify anything emissions related. Your argument holds no water.

These cars don't even have headers man.

I'm sorry, but what you're saying is incorrect. Please don't spread misinformation. There are plenty of people here, who are much smarter than me, that have said the same thing that I have, numerous times before.
You have no legs to your argument other than your opinion. Hollow to say the least. You have no idea my background and lack any knowledge to even challenge my points. Please enjoy your soap box.

Nice how you left out the "or something" and hung onto the "headers" real petty.

Here is your sign.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts

Totally disagree, changing the exhaust certainly affects air flow out of the engine and will change your AF ratio. A tune is needed when adding a downpipe to these cars.

Your comment about a different o2 sensor for catless cars is also incorrect and not something anyone has ever done.

I see you are new here, slow your role a bit. Arguing with other members on a forum is petty and helps no one.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16 Posts
I do need to apologize to fahnix because I completely missed the fact the OP is in CA. The details are unimportant since being in CA makes the argument pointless and I am sorry for that.

My original post was slightly misworded.

(You don't need a tune for just an exhaust mod. You will just benefit more with a tune.)

Should have been.

(You don't need a tune for just this exhaust mod. You will just benefit more with a tune.)

Where all I meant is the computer won't trigger limp mode and cause a check engine light. The car will still run. But yes a tune will still benefit the setup.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
I do need to apologize to fahnix because I completely missed the fact the OP is in CA. The details are unimportant since being in CA makes the argument pointless and I am sorry for that.

My original post was slightly misworded.

(You don't need a tune for just an exhaust mod. You will just benefit more with a tune.)

Should have been.

(You don't need a tune for just this exhaust mod. You will just benefit more with a tune.)

Where all I meant is the computer won't trigger limp mode and cause a check engine light. The car will still run. But yes a tune will still benefit the setup.
Still disagree. Adding a downpipe on these cars with no tune most certainly WILL throw a check engine light and cause the car to run poorly. Regardless of what state the car is in.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Still disagree. Adding a downpipe on these cars with no tune most certainly WILL throw a check engine light and cause the car to run poorly. Regardless of what state the car is in.

That is fine just understand several people have done this without that problem. One has even commented in this thread. Thank goodness your disagreeing doesn't actually affect reality.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
^^^is this dude trolling or what???

I find that anyone who is throwing "reality" around is usually not too in touch with it.

To get back to the OP. This has been covered a million times, but the downpipe on these cars are crazy restrictive, and need a tune to get the most out of them. As for the CEL, some cars will throw them some will not. I went catted and threw a code before I was even out of my garage. Modrid went catless on his and didn't throw a code for a couple weeks.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Furthermore the member saying they have the FKX racing downpipe with no code doesn't count. FKX does not offer a full downpipe for these cars, just the secondary piece. The FKX piece retains the factory catalytic convertor, as opposed to a catless downpipe that will most certainly throw a code.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts