9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Somewhere on some website, I found a post about drilling holes in the bottom of the air box to increase the air flow and give the car a deeper, more defined sound. Is there any truth to this? What risks would be associated with this? I dont think it would suck in water because the airbox is pretty high up, but maybe there's something I'm overlooking. And I know everyone is going to complain that I should just buy an actual intake, but I'm trying to save up for a down payment on a house right now, so just randomly shelling out a few hundred dollars to make my car sound better isn't really an option right now. Thanks in advance for any input.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Isn't the bottom of the intake where the air feed line from the front of the car goes to the airbox? If this is the case, then you will be sucking in hotter engine air instead of cooler air directed from behind your headlight.

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,208 Posts
There is a thread here on this subject. If someone can find it, it will answer a lot of questions for the OP.

·
Registered
8,198 Posts
No,it takes air in from the front
And if you cut the bottom out it takes air in from the bottom right above tranny ,no different than the ultra famous RSD intake.difference is it costs nothing,no battery to relocate,no hot metal intake pipe to worry about.
Haven't had a single glitch in over 80k+ miles.clean the filter every 10k.
Definitely a lot louder.
Definitely more responsive

Does it add power?who knows.
Does it add mileage?that is for sure.I drove the car enough with and without on the same Vegas run with and without to know it increased 3 mpg constantly.
I average 37/8
I do have exhaust, and I do have taller tires.so its anyone's conclusion
I've been doing this longer than most here and done it to over a dozen cars.
Anyone can do it.if you don't like it.buy the bottom piece again.costs like 15-25$
Done deal

·
Registered
42 Posts
No,it takes air in from the front
And if you cut the bottom out it takes air in from the bottom right above tranny ,no different than the ultra famous RSD intake.difference is it costs nothing,no battery to relocate,no hot metal intake pipe to worry about.
Haven't had a single glitch in over 80k+ miles.clean the filter every 10k.
Definitely a lot louder.
Definitely more responsive

Does it add power?who knows.
Does it add mileage?that is for sure.I drove the car enough with and without on the same Vegas run with and without to know it increased 3 mpg constantly.
I average 37/8
I do have exhaust, and I do have taller tires.so its anyone's conclusion
I've been doing this longer than most here and done it to over a dozen cars.
Anyone can do it.if you don't like it.buy the bottom piece again.costs like 15-25$
Done deal
So what you're suggesting is that by cutting out the bottom of the airbox you're NOT sucking in hot air? You realize the air under the hood is well over 120+ degrees when the car is moving.

Have you ever looked at your IATs? You'd be surprised how hot they get in even 75 degree F weather.

·
Registered
429 Posts
So what you're suggesting is that by cutting out the bottom of the airbox you're NOT sucking in hot air? You realize the air under the hood is well over 120+ degrees when the car is moving.

Have you ever looked at your IATs? You'd be surprised how hot they get in even 75 degree F weather.
Hotter intake air is better for fuel economy. Very likely explains why his mileage improved driving through the Nevada desert.

Sounds nice, good emotional feeling, likely no tangible benefit to power. Hondas are smart enough to retard timing when the IAT is high, so seems like a win-win all around unless you're actually looking to improve peak power.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Wouldn't just taking off the hose going into the air box do pretty much the exact same thing without cutting out the bottom of the air box?

Why is removing the air box bottom better than just undoing the intake tubing going to the front of the filter box?

I thought a loss of power/torque was measured due to the intake resonators improving the volumetric efficiency? If power and torque go down, wouldn't that also decrease fuel mileage?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hotter intake air is better for fuel economy. Very likely explains why his mileage improved driving through the Nevada desert.

Sounds nice, good emotional feeling, likely no tangible benefit to power. Hondas are smart enough to retard timing when the IAT is high, so seems like a win-win all around unless you're actually looking to improve peak power.
How is less oxygen per volume going to help fuel economy? With that theory, race cars would be faster at higher altitudes then at sea-level.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts