Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

I'm hoping someone can provide some insight on this issue since the service department at the local dealership have been of little help. We purchased a 2012 Civic LX in October of this year and everything was fine until the cold weather struck. One morning when the temperature was below freezing, I went out to unlock the car with the key fob. The lights flashed, I heard a noise, but none of the doors would open. This problem resolved itself when the temperature rose during the day, but the same issue repeated itself the next morning when the cold weather returned.

Once I had access to the vehicle later in the day, I changed the door lock programming to allow all doors to open with one press on the key fob rather than none of them opening if the driver's door did not unlock. This helped on the next cold morning, as only the driver's door would not unlock now, which isolated the issue. While inside the car, I tried the lock/unlock buttons on the driver's door. All other locks in the car locked and unlocked, but the driver's lock did not move. The same thing happened when I used the key fob. I tried to manually push the lock button open like you would in an older car, but the lock would not budge.

I have an appointment with Honda in a week, but I was hoping to get some ideas as to the problem from anyone here that may have experienced something similar or have heard of this problem.

Thanks!

·
Pickle Hammer Power
4,294,967,287 Posts
sounds like your locking mechanisim is freezing up somewhere.... but i dont know why it would be unless theres moisture getting down in there...

·
Registered
90 Posts
Sounds like there is moisture in there. Did you try any door lock antifreeze?. Sometimes on my last Civic when it got cold enough the door wouldn't open when I pushed the button on my key fob but if I put the key in the lock it would reluctantly open.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I thought the door might be sticking due to ice, but when you pull the handle, you can't feel the latch release. I don't know how any moisture might have gotten into the locking mechanism. I also tried using the key to unlock the door and that yielded no results. Looks like the warranty will be used early!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Sounds like it is something in the mechanism then. They will probably take off the door panel and fiddle with it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have been having the same problem since last 2 days...the doors wont unlock but I could open the trunk. The dealer here asked me to get the car on a day when the weather is going to be below freezing again so he can recreate the issue. I spoke to 2 dealers in the vicinity and both said they have not heard of this issue before. I also tried to contact Honda Customer Service and apparently even they didnt have any solution yet...Let me know if you find any solution...Thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
Also seeing same issue. Considering entering the car through the trunk as it is the only thing I can open. Will be calling my dealer this morning. Just lucky this happened at home. Will post any solutions ASAP.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Same problem with me. Just happened yesterday morning and it caused me to be late to work by a hour.

I found the only way to unlock it was to use the valet key instead of the remote fob. What's strange is later on in the day as the temperature got warmer, the remote started to work all of the sudden!

Btw, I tested it with both pairs of remotes and they had the same problem that morning. Even stranger is that all the other buttons BESIDES the unlock button works on both the remotes. You can lock the door, open the trunk, or hit the panic button and the alarm goes off. But no unlock, and not just the driver's door but all the doors.

I thought I was the only one.. if this happens again i'm definitely gonna be pissed.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I called the dealership, few people reported having the same issue. The dealership doesn't know what is causing that problem because no one had it fixed yet. They said they only way to diagnose this is to leave my car there overnight when it's really cold in hoping that his problem will occur when they open during business hours.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Update on my 2012 civic situation..... Contacted the dealer the same morning I discovered the problem. They were unaware of this situation and asked that we bring the car in. Once we were in the car by way of the trunk we tried all the doors from the inside both rear doors and the passenger door would open. The driver door would not. We could not even move the lock lever. The outside temperature was 24 degrees. After a 15 minute drive to the service department with the heat on the lock began operating normally. We left the car overnight with the dealer. The service department removed the inner door panel and applied lubricant to the locking mechanism. They said the lock workings were tight. We chose to leave the car an additional night for evaluation. Monday we will find out if they problem reoccurred. Will advise what happened ASAP.

·
Registered
246 Posts
That's great that you got them to look at your car while it was still locked up. When it happened to me and I was locked out of my car, I called the Honda Care service number and they sent someone to unlock it. After getting my car to unlock with the valet key, I called them back to cancel the service guy they sent out.

While driving to work I tried using the door unlock switches on the left side of my door panel, and they failed to unlock even from the inside. As soon as the car started warming up while on the highway, I randomly decided to try the unlock switch on the door and it suddenly worked again.

Whatever the problem is, it is clearly related to cold temperatures. I don't remember the exact temp the morning this happened to me, but it was definitely the coldest so far past couple of weeks.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Update on my Civic: My dealer asked me to get the car during similar weather condition to recreate the issue but the weather hasn't yet been as cold as the other day. So haven't taken the car back to the dealer yet.

·
Registered
83 Posts
there is probly moisture inside the door lock accuator. the accuator is attached to the door latch and is what locks and unlocks the latch.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am having the exact same problem. I purchased my 2012 Civic LX in September and never had an issue until Tuesday morning when I could not unlock the car. The car would only open around noon when the temperature had gone up enough. Wednesday was fine (I live near Hartford and it was warmer and rainy) but this morning again, the car would not unlock. I have an appointment at the dealership on Monday and I am definitely printing out these pages to show them that other people are experiencing this. I will also try the valet key and resetting the remote to open all locks.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Same problem with me. Just happened yesterday morning and it caused me to be late to work by a hour.

I found the only way to unlock it was to use the valet key instead of the remote fob. What's strange is later on in the day as the temperature got warmer, the remote started to work all of the sudden!

Btw, I tested it with both pairs of remotes and they had the same problem that morning. Even stranger is that all the other buttons BESIDES the unlock button works on both the remotes. You can lock the door, open the trunk, or hit the panic button and the alarm goes off. But no unlock, and not just the driver's door but all the doors.

I thought I was the only one.. if this happens again i'm definitely gonna be pissed.
I live in Dallas - Plano. So it must be close by,but i don't have the problem until now.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I got the same problem on front passanger's door. It did not open yesterday in the morning and this morning as well. Once it gets warmer, I can open. For the second day, I had to drive my wife as a chauffeur, because only the rear doors could be openned. I live in Gatineau, Canada.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.