9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought an EXL coupe (2012), and after about a couple of days the leather on the driver's side started to flake in area (mainly where I would rub it as I got in and out). So I brought it back to the dealer, and they put a new leather cover on the driver's seat (or so they said they did). I had the new cover on for about a week, and I had the same problem start. I brought it back to the dealer, and they said they would replace it again, but I did not like the technicians attitude as he started to ask me if I had sharp objects in my pockets etc. Like I am going to carry knives etc in my pocket!? Anyway, I was wondering if anyone with a 2012 EXL couple has had the same issue. The leather is grey, bye the way.

Paul

·
Registered
201 Posts
I have a EX-L and have had it well over 1 1/2 years with no problems with the leather besides a cut in the passenger seat that happened from a key.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
I had a similar issue on my 2010 EX-L sedan. Mine "flaked" off in the area where the passenger seat belt rested when not in use. It tickled me because I rarely had passengers.

I sympathize with the tech's attitude. I've had every Civic I've ever owned (and that's 4, all new by the way) in the shop repeatedly for the same issues and each time they increasingly look at me with skepticism and judgment, as though Im somehow responsible.

It's not my fault subpar materials were used - and the one time they finally told me they were going to stop fixing it, I went through the roof. I had to threaten a lawsuit just to get Honda to fix it. I said "I will bring this in EVERY TIME the issue occurs - until Honda notices that there might be a bigger issue here. And you will continue to repair it. Everytime."

Honda's luck I didn't slap their asses with the lemon law on my 2006 Si - even my dealership told me it was a lemon.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
hmm, not many have the leather...maybe Dutsguru will see this, he has leather
I have not seen any flaking on the drivers seat. My only thought is if you had something sharp in your pocket wouldn't it pierce or cut the leather versus the top layer flaking off. My leather seats are aftermarket and over the weekend conditioned my seats. So I have not see anything.

Sounds like unfortunately you just got a bad seat or leather cover in driver seat.

Sorry to hear about that.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies. I am waiting for a new seat cover, but hope that it was a defective cover that they put in for the first replacement. I do not wear sharp stuff on clothing, or have anything sharp in my pockets etc so I am stumped on the issue. I'll keep you posted once I get the next seat cover. Cheers. I do love my coupe, though, even with the seat issue!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts