9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am planning to upgrade to bass tubes down the line, and I was reading about
sound deadening and sound insulation etc....and making interior quieter (less road noise).

I may have Audio Shop do this for me, and I wanted to know some opinions via
Lining the floor, door panels, trunk hood, trunk floor, etc.....

Most importantly, I don't want to add "a lot" of weight reducing gas milage:)

Is there any pros'/cons' on doing this plan? Also, what is the going rate for Audio shops to do my
2012 Civic Coupe EX ?

Thanks much:icon_headfones:

p.s.
DynaMat, SecondSkin etc.....any other companies? I hear do RoadRat or RoadKill? something like that as a sound deadener/dampner?

·
Pickle Hammer Power
4,294,967,287 Posts
I have always used dynomat when I used to compete..... Never used the other stuff... Don't think its going to add that much weight.... So wouldn't worry about that reducing mpg

Sent from my ADR6350 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply....

West Coast Customs uses a brand called (Road Kill? spelling?).... is that any good?

Its suppose to suppress road noise:)

·
400 Club here I come!
1,660 Posts
I have had this idea myself to make it a little quieter my wife gave me a hard time but I think it would be worth it!!!

Sent from my iPhone using AG Free

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes,... Its a fair priced upgrade for us 2012 Civic owners....
It wont kill our bank account either....
(I'm calling around some Pro Audio Shops around my area for price quotes).

Am asking here so I know what I'm getting myself into.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)

·
Registered
58 Posts
i used secondskin for my doors on my last 8th gen and it helped a lot with road noise/ rattles/ sound quality. it is a serious pain to do properly. it has to be perfect, or door panels will stick together, and make a big mess. it is also pretty permanent. if you install properly, it will be a serious pain to remove if you ever want to down the line. just be sure to pay attention when installing and it will be worth it.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I've installed Dynamat eXtreme in other cars I've owned. Buy it off eBay - it can be significantly cheaper, even with the shipping. But if you're going to get a shop to do it, labor is likely to be your greatest cost (it's a PITA to install.)

Do these panels in order, to get the most benefit: Doors, wheel wells, floor, then roof last. If you have a sub in the trunk, do it as well. If you add it to the trunk lid (and you should), you'll probably need to upgrade to the stronger trunk lid torsion bars (they come with the spoiler kit, not sure if you can order them separately -- CHH may know.)

All the vibration-dampening products will add weight to your car. On my CR-V I added about 80 pounds (doors, roof, floor, cargo area). On the Ridgeline, it added about the same (no cargo area, but bigger vehicle overall). It will cut into your gas mileage - I estimate I lost about a half mpg. But it meant that I could A) turn it up without attracting unwanted attention, and B) Lowered the noise floor, so I didn't need to overpower the system in order to hear my music cleanly, and C) gave the doors a satisfying "thunk" when you close them. So a definite "win" as far as I'm concerned.

Edit:
Forgot the major downside to doing this. If you ever get a ding on a panel that has this stuff stuck to the back of it, you will not be able to get a paintless-dent-repair place to fix it unless you also pay them to remove the dampener in that area. Try very very hard not to get door dings.

Chip H.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts