9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Honda Civic SI (stock)
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been having this issue in the cold weather and we've replaced both the e-brake cable and the caliper. When it's cold and I had the e-brake on all night it won't release in the morning. The handle goes all the way down but I can feel a little bit of slack at the end and when I try to move I can feel the brakes are still engaged. I noticed some uneven wear on my pads so I needed to replace the caliper anyway. When it still happened I had my local mechanic replace the e-brake cable as well and it seemed to make it a little better. Before it would stick if it was around freezing (high 20's, low 30's) but now it only froze when it hit 15.

I feel like we've replaced all the parts that might be affecting it anybody have ideas where it might be binding now? It's at the shop now but I suspect they're not going to be able to find anything since it's not cold today I couldn't get it in when it was 15 and stuck.

2014 SI with 130k miles

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,361 Posts
I've had e-brake cables on various cars stick when it got cold out, but this was always combined with some moisture. When your cables were replaced, was the length of them greased upon installation? Were the pad/caliper spring plates also treated with the specified lube upon servicing?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've had e-brake cables on various cars stick when it got cold out, but this was always combined with some moisture. When your cables were replaced, was the length of them greased upon installation? Were the pad/caliper spring plates also treated with the specified lube upon servicing?
The cable and caliper were only replaced about a month ago but I don't know if they greased them. Do they need to be greased even when new?

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,361 Posts
Yep.

Standard practice. They even iclude a packet of the grease in brake pad replacement kits. Cables should always be greased upon insertion.

·
Registered
395 Posts
This happens to me every so often in Michigan during the winter. I haven't found a "cure" but my quick fix is to exercise the e-brake on and off a few times, quickly with the button pressed in. It seems to do the trick. My guess would be cold lube pretty much turning to molasses.

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,361 Posts
My winter solution is to not set the e-brake. I always leave the car in gear, anyway.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was nervous not setting the e-brake so I put a chock behind the wheel. Is it normally ok just to park it in gear? Sounds like I'm not the only one having this issue.

The shop said the cable is sealed so it doesn't come with any lube and they didn't lube it but the caliper they did the standard lubing. Both cables were stretched out so they replaced the passenger side cable as well since the uneven length may be causing it to bind. Had a few cold nights and it's been good so far, may have fixed it.

Rocket - I would try that but it never worked I would either have to disconnect the cable or take the wheel off and really pull on it to get it to release. Once it popped it was good the rest of the day.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts