9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I tried an ECU reset to just get a fresh brain after break in and such, no valid reason to really. I disconnected the negative terminal from the battery, turned on an interior dome light and stepped on the brake for 15 seconds to try and bleed any remaining current, and left it set for a good half hour. Came back out reconnected the battery and fired it up to idle for 15 minutes.

The part that makes me wonder if the ECU was in fact reset was that the iMID, while clearing only MPG values, retained trip mileage. Also all lighting/lock/custom settings for the car were saved. And the radio presets were saved, no security code required. Maybe there's some non-volatile memory for these settings?

Makes me tempted to try the 'pulling the ECU fuse' route, but the OM doesn't label an "ECU" fuse... anyone have an idea which one exactly it is?

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
touch the neg and pos battery wires together for a minute when disconnected

Reactions: jandree22

·
400 Club here I come!
1,660 Posts
My Presets, and Mileage remain if I donly do it for half hour, I left it disconnected for a few hours while I was working on the car and over night, I lost all the Presets.. I'm sure there is a short term back up somenwere, and yes as Privman said, "touch the Pos and Neg terminals togerther after you get them both off of the battery... for atleast a minute.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Great input, I'll try touching the + to - cables. Appreciate it guys!

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
MAKE SURE THEY ARE DISCONNECTED FROM BATTERY lol or you might not have a car in less than a minute

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Haha I didn't want to be "that guy" that told you to do something and things get misunderstood and BOOM

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
400 Club here I come!
1,660 Posts
Lol Priv yeah I thought I'd add that in there just in case there might be misunderstanding. LOL

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
496 Posts
"I disconnected the negative terminal from the battery, turned on an interior dome light and stepped on the brake for 15 seconds to try and bleed any remaining current, and left it set for a good half hour."

sorry I may be missing something here but what is that all about, bleeding any remaining current?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
"I disconnected the negative terminal from the battery, turned on an interior dome light and stepped on the brake for 15 seconds to try and bleed any remaining current, and left it set for a good half hour."

sorry I may be missing something here but what is that all about, bleeding any remaining current?
Just what I've come across in my research with this procedure. Just to make sure any current left lurking in the electrical system gets discharged. Touching the + to - leads, away from the battery terminals, is another way to skin this cat. Maybe it's a bunch of BS, I'm just going through the motions I guess.

Unfortunately removing both connections, touching of the + to - leads, and letting the car sit for 45 minutes had the same result for me. Radio and iMID settings were still saved. The Backup fuse under the hood is supposedly another method, maybe I'll try that at some point. Car's running fine, so I'm not losing any sleep over it.

Appreciate the help though!

I disconnected mines for 5 minutes after adding the exhaust and radio presets went bye bye
LOL. Apparently the Si and EX have slightly different electrical systems.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts