9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Honda Civic Si
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2014 civic si sedan. I recently noticed that mostly in second gear, when taking off my inside door locks will go back and forth. Every time. Not every once in a while, every time. I just bought the car in February and whoever had it has done something to the electrical where multiple things are off (I have a 2015 si). I can’t quite put my finger on what the issues are. The only major difference I see under the hood is a cold air intake. Looks professionally installed so should bare any issues. There is a ground wire that was put in starting and mounted to the fuse box under the hood and ending in truck. Maybe this is it? Can someone help me? This car needs some love and care.

·
Registered
2014 Honda Civic Si
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Felt like I needed to add that there has been no water damage. And when I bought the car, the only reported accident was in the rear right side (fender bender from the looks of it.)

·
Registered
88 Posts
You may want to take a peek at the wiring under the dash and see if there is evidence that an aftermarket alarm system was installed and then removed before you got the car, in which case you might see some aftermarket wires dangling. Or perhaps an alarm could still be there but just be disabled. The point is that if an aftermarket alarm was installed sloppily, it could cause issues like this. It could also be the case that if an alarm was removed and the remaining wires were not properly removed, insulated, and/or secured, it could cause electrical gremlins. Sometimes, when people take out an alarm, they just cut the wires and leave wires with bare ends just dangling, and if those wires touch a ground, it can cause issues. If this is the case, then you want to get a professional to clean up the wiring.

·
Registered
2014 Honda Civic Si
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

I have noticed this, which was never noticeable in my 2015 si. And console around the gear Shifter has some play. I haven’t pulled anything apart to really look at it. But come to think of it, when you lock the car, it doesn’t give you the confirmation beep like the 2015 either. I’ve done the fob reset and had no luck. I wish I could find the kid that had this car and wring his neck.

·
Registered
2014 Honda Civic Si
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

At this point I’m just venting. No one understands my frustration over my car.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Why the frustration other than the weird door lock issue? I know you can disable the car beeping when locked in the options menu. The fog lights look like they had some cheap vinyl that melted or that weird tint paint stuff. Various dents and dings are to be expected on a 5 year old car, nothing some touch up paint and elbow grease cant tidy up.

·
Registered
2014 Honda Civic Si
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OP did you not inspect the car before committing to buy it?
I did inspect it actually. And I knew ofmost of the issues including the big “**** you” carved into the door. I also understand with some elbowgrease and work put into it I can get it how I want it. Hence where I said “vent”. I am aware of it being 5 years old and whoever treated it improperly. I’ve never hit the curbside so I guess with me being overly stupid on the appearance I can’t understand that part. The film on the fog lights will come off with some effort. And this is project of mine when I have the time and after I order a bezel. I settled for this car because it fell into my budget and was relatively local without having to go 500 miles to get it. I searched for a very specific car for 4 months before committing.With that said, I wasn’t bitching, just venting. Thanks

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Well good luck, those fog lights look like a pain to clean up. Keep us posted, builds/restorations are always fun to follow.

·
Registered
2014 Honda Civic Si
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well good luck, those fog lights look like a pain to clean up. Keep us posted, builds/restorations are always fun to follow.
absolutely. Before getting knees deep into Honda’s I plastidipped all the chrome and emblems. The sun baked it and it was nearly impossible to get off. It’s doable. Just a pain in the ass.

·
Registered
88 Posts
View attachment 491826
I have noticed this, which was never noticeable in my 2015 si. And console around the gear Shifter has some play. I haven’t pulled anything apart to really look at it. But come to think of it, when you lock the car, it doesn’t give you the confirmation beep like the 2015 either. I’ve done the fob reset and had no luck. I wish I could find the kid that had this car and wring his neck.
Is that remote control the one that controls your car? If so, then that looks like an aftermarket unit. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought most, if not all, factory keyless entry/alarm remotes on our 9th gen Civics are incorporated into the actual key for the car.

So, another possibility that I'm thinking is that maybe the aftermarket alarm/keyless system (if, indeed, you do have one) is interfering with or getting interference from the factory system. I know that in my 2015 LX Coupe, if the doors are unlocked, and I start driving and reach a speed of 9-10 mph, then the factory system automatically locks the doors. Maybe this factory locking action is somehow confusing the aftermarket system (or vice versa) causing the locks to switch back and forth instead of just locking at that speed.

I was also thinking that, if the door lock wiring for an aftermarket keyless entry/alarm system is exposed and near a ground (like a bare metal piece of the car or bracket under the dash), the act of accelerating might cause the bare wire to shift in movement and hit the metal or bracket, causing it to ground out and trip the door locks -- but I admit that this is a long shot.

·
Registered
2014 Honda Civic Si
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Is that remote control the one that controls your car? If so, then that looks like an aftermarket unit. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought most, if not all, factory keyless entry/alarm remotes on our 9th gen Civics are incorporated into the actual key for the car.

So, another possibility that I'm thinking is that maybe the aftermarket alarm/keyless system (if, indeed, you do have one) is interfering with or getting interference from the factory system. I know that in my 2015 LX Coupe, if the doors are unlocked, and I start driving and reach a speed of 9-10 mph, then the factory system automatically locks the doors. Maybe this factory locking action is somehow confusing the aftermarket system (or vice versa) causing the locks to switch back and forth instead of just locking at that speed.

I was also thinking that, if the door lock wiring for an aftermarket keyless entry/alarm system is exposed and near a ground (like a bare metal piece of the car or bracket under the dash), the act of accelerating might cause the bare wire to shift in movement and hit the metal or bracket, causing it to ground out and trip the door locks -- but I admit that this is a long shot.
I’m not sure if it’s after market. How can I tell? It had the Honda key that slides in. And looks like my 2015 si key.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Sorry for the long time before replying. I could not say for sure if that is an aftermarket remote or not, but it looks like one to me, as most recent Hondas that I've seen have the factory remote integrated with the key itself. Is there anything printed or engraved on the back of the remote that indicates a brand name? Also, the dealer may be able to advise you, as well.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts