9th Gen Civic Forum banner

41 - 60 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
I always use a 1:1 mix of water and simple green. Spray engine with water. Spray with simple green and let set 2-3 minutes. Spray it all off.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I just took mine to the dealer to do a steam cleaning for $36 they did a pretty good job at it plus they washed my car too

·
Registered
14 Posts
This is what I do:
1.Cover exposed electrical w/ foil (ie battery terminals)
2. Spray with light water stream (I use the spray from the wand at a coin op when you're not pulling the trigger)
3. Spray with All Purpose Cleaner such as Simple Green or Adams APC
4. Scrub with a very soft brush
5. Rinse with light water stream
6. Idle the car for a few minutes to dry
7. Quick wipe down of remaining water
8. Apply dressing to rubber/plastic parts
Do you do this while the engine cold? Thanks

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
I've always wondered if its ok to hose down the engine bay...One of the hand-carwashes I frequent has a step-by-step guide with pics on the wall on how to use their system. The first thing they tell you to do is soak the engine bay with their cleaner stuff and then hose it off. Will that hurt anything? I was reluctant to do it, even though my engine bay is all dusty and whatnot.

·
Premium Member
8,336 Posts
every other time i wash the car, i pop the hood and wash it down with the soap i washed the car with. i wash the underside of the hood too. I rinse off with hose like normal. If you do this once or twice a month, it will always look new and you want need any harsh chemicals.

Sent from my DROIDX
this is what I do:)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Cleaning Engine, Required, Recommended, Suggested?

So for a year old car, my engine quite clean, nothing on the batter, it shines, but is there something I need to be doing regularly or monthly every other month etc.?

(sorry after creating the topic, I realized I might have created this in the wrong section, mods please move If so)

IMG_4655.jpg

·
Car Care Ambassador
1,357 Posts
The key is to keep it clean with a wipe down every few washes and a couple times a year I give it a wash down with water and Dawn dish soap. Hit the extra dirty spots with an APC first. Do it on a cool/cold engine. If you can cover the alternator with aluminum foil .. don't use a strong jet of water to rinse the engine. Then dry it off and dress the plastic with your dressing of choice. I don't do a lot with the metal parts but surprisingly enough I tried the tire dressing that the Dollar Tree sells for dressing the plastic and it worked as good as any and after close to 2 months still looks good and foesn't really collect dust like some of the others.

·
Registered
31 Posts
The key is to keep it clean with a wipe down every few washes and a couple times a year I give it a wash down with water and Dawn dish soap. Hit the extra dirty spots with an APC first. Do it on a cool/cold engine. If you can cover the alternator with aluminum foil .. don't use a strong jet of water to rinse the engine. Then dry it off and dress the plastic with your dressing of choice. I don't do a lot with the metal parts but surprisingly enough I tried the tire dressing that the Dollar Tree sells for dressing the plastic and it worked as good as any and after close to 2 months still looks good and foesn't really collect dust like some of the others.
Not many replies so I guess people don't do this often.

I noted all your points but sounds like.i can so some damage without knowing alternator I got how about metal parts what do you mean, I will end up
causing them to rust or stg?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
139 Posts
I've always used simple green about a 1:4 solution so it's not real strong spray on cold let set a min or two and spray off gently no hard spray let dry and dress with whatever for plastic if u want it

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
548 Posts
I try to give my engine bay a wipe down after every wash. Alot less work to do a bit each time than to do it once a year.

Agreed^ I think that's the key take away here. I use a paper towel with a tad bit of water to clean all the little bits in the engine compartment. Every 2 months or so, only takes about 15-20 minutes each time.

·
I Need A Vacation
13,236 Posts
Agreed^ I think that's the key take away here. I use a paper towel with a tad bit of water to clean all the little bits in the engine compartment. Every 2 months or so, only takes about 15-20 minutes each time.
Thats what I find, if you clean it regularly than you don't need to use much cleaning agents, just some water a rag and some elbow grease will do.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Engine Bay Cleanliness

how do you keep your engine bay clean? i opened my hood for a peek and i need to get in there, power washers are out of the question. do i just spongebathe it like an elder in a home (comparison used to gauge gentleness only)?

·
Registered
462 Posts
I use simple green on my engine bays and it works great! Spray a light mist over it, and use a light mist setting on a nozzle to remove the simple green and dirt it takes with it. I then use an air gun/compressor to get the water off of everything.

41 - 60 of 113 Posts