9th Gen Civic Forum banner

61 - 80 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
571 Posts
+1 - Well I use 409 because that's what is handy here at work. I don't super detail, just anything that is easy to wipe I do. I use paper towels too, I'm not concerned about "scratching" and all that but if you wanted to be more particular then just use a microfiber towel.

If you wanted to get certain areas "extra clean" there isn't anything wrong with soaking a spot in a cleaner, go at a bit with a brush, and then use a garden hose to spot rinse it.

·
Registered
639 Posts
20140406_095620.jpg
Good Thread. I just wiped mine down this weekend with a wet cloth but was wondering what the best way to clean the engine bay was. Will be adding Simple green to the shopping list. Thx 9th Gen'rs!

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,351 Posts
I use Scrubbing Bubbles on my wheels and engine bay on the rare occasion I actually clean in there.

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,351 Posts
I used to use Simple Green, but I find that Scrubbing Bubbles works better. But, it may not be as safe for painted surfaces, although I've never had a problem with it in many years of use. I don't leave it on long. Spray, and then wipe, then rinse.

Actually, not wipe. I use a wheel cleaning brush for the engine bay. I find it does a better job of removing dirt than any cloth. It is the engine bay, after all. And wheel brushes and tire brushes come in a variety of shapes, sizes, and bristle-stiffness. Tire brushes are generally stiffer-bristled than wheel brushes. Use your judgment when choosing. I don't go too stiff (haha) because I don't want to scratch anything.

·
Registered
462 Posts
I'd be a little worried if you went really stiff!! hahaha. I'll pick some SB up and give it a whirl. Thanks for the tip dude!

I used to use Simple Green, but I find that Scrubbing Bubbles works better. But, it may not be as safe for painted surfaces, although I've never had a problem with it in many years of use. I don't leave it on long. Spray, and then wipe, then rinse.

Actually, not wipe. I use a wheel cleaning brush for the engine bay. I find it does a better job of removing dirt than any cloth. It is the engine bay, after all. And wheel brushes and tire brushes come in a variety of shapes, sizes, and bristle-stiffness. Tire brushes are generally stiffer-bristled than wheel brushes. Use your judgment when choosing. I don't go too stiff (haha) because I don't want to scratch anything.

·
Registered
841 Posts
some good options. i never had a new car and always got dirty engine bays from previous owners and it was too.. intricate to get into. i don't want it to go so far here so ill give it a once over periodically.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
I utilize Chemical Guys All Clean. Spray it on and wash off with a wide angle spray. Then utilize leaf blower to dry all the hard to get to areas.

Results are this...
IMG_0953.jpg

Check out this link too....

·
Question Authority
6,424 Posts
I use Scrubbing Bubbles on my wheels and engine bay on the rare occasion I actually clean in there.
WTF are you doing in your engine bay?? Scrubbing Bubbles are for toilets!!!!;) I hope nobody sees you doing it!!!

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,351 Posts
Well, when ya gotta go, ya gotta go! hahahahahahahaaaa

·
Registered
203 Posts
Been using degreaser and a power washer on many engines, both my '94 and '12 as well as many customer cars. Just gotta be careful where you spray, and use the low flow setting, not pulling the trigger for high flow. A thumb over a garden hose could work as well, I just use what's available.

·
Question Authority
6,424 Posts
You guys must drive thru landfills!! In 34K miles all I've done is lightly and I mean lightly dust off the engine and it looks like new. Dixie must be clean.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
I feel for you guys that get dirty engine bays,in Atlanta I've been real lucky that it still looks new after almost two years,I've heard people using simple green and it works great.I am not sure what I will use when needed,but there is some great advice here so far...I may do my 7 th gen soon,after 10 years it's still clean too!!!

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

61 - 80 of 113 Posts