9th Gen Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I had something strange happen with my new(ish) < 12000 miles civic si 2013 just now and was hoping someone could provide some insight.

I was going around 25 and put it in 6th gear and floored it (was testing clutch for slippage) Granted, I know this isn't good for a engine, but here's where the weird part comes in. The engine starts to sputter sporadically, and after about 5-6 seconds of doing this and having no power or acceleration, the cel starts flashing constantly (which is a misfire if i'm not mistaken) but it doesn't stop when trying to drive normally. I drive for about 15 minutes slowly trying to get home on what feels like 3 cylinders. Then, the second I stop the car and restart it..boom. Like it never happened. Except for when I put it back and sixth where I'm sure the process starts again .

Is this something I need to check out? The only mod I have is K&N CAI and I've never had any issues in any other gear. But I wouldn't expect an engine to do this. My other car you could put it in high gear and floor it all you want in low rpms. It would take awhile and struggle, but I never had a loss of power or a CEL come on.

Anyone have an issue like this? Or can think of the cause. I didn't reset the ECU when instaling the CAI but that was about two months ago, and it has idled fine.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Wow I do that all the time with my setup (rbc and prl cai) that never happened to me.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
373 Posts
My first thought was "Don't do that!"

What was the engine RPM at this point?

High loads at very low RPM is hard on pistons.
Not sure why it would misfire though.

But once the PCM does detect a single cylinder misfire, it can shut off the injector for that cylinder in an attempt to avoid damaging the catalytic converter. Cycling the ignition can reset that function (turns the injector back on) until misfire is detected again (on some versions, as I understand it, and other versions might attempt to "test" if the misfire is still present by turning the injector back on periodically while you continue to drive it).

HTH

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
When was the last time you pumped gas? Also did your RPMs drop below idle after a few revs? Something similar happened to me awhile back and it turned out to be water in my gas...

Sent from the One

Reactions: Sinub

·
Registered
274 Posts
I've actually experienced this before on my 2012 while flooring it at around 15kish miles, right after I installed my Takeda Cai. This happened about two or three times, even bought a scanner to scan for codes, nothing. Someone said to disconnect the battery if I didn't already while or after I installed my cai. They said it would let the ecu reset and adjust for more airflow. Sincei then I haven't had it come back. I would like to hear more on this from you, glad I'm not the only one lol but check for codes first before disconnecting your battery!!!

Btw when this happened( I have a tsudo exhaust) Did it sound like the engine was sputtering? And when you attempted to put gas it would have a really hard time going? Because that's what happened to me and sounds like it did to you too

·
Registered
274 Posts
When was the last time you pumped gas? Also did your RPMs drop any when you let off the accelerator? Something similar happened to me awhile back and it turned out to be water in my gas...

Sent from the One
How did you find out their was water in your gas?

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
How did you find out their was water in your gas?
It was the way the car was driving. My car never had any issues prior and at the time I was only running a SRI. Next day my car wouldn't start. Crank but no start, and everytime I cranked it, the sound got worse and worse. So that's how I knew. Got it towed to the dealer and yeppp...I was right. $600 to flush the whole thing out.

Sent from the One

·
Raspy is a bad thing?
4,535 Posts
Hi all,

I had something strange happen with my new(ish) < 12000 miles civic si 2013 just now and was hoping someone could provide some insight.

I was going around 25 and put it in 6th gear and floored it (was testing clutch for slippage) Granted, I know this isn't good for a engine, but here's where the weird part comes in. The engine starts to sputter sporadically, and after about 5-6 seconds of doing this and having no power or acceleration, the cel starts flashing constantly (which is a misfire if i'm not mistaken) but it doesn't stop when trying to drive normally. I drive for about 15 minutes slowly trying to get home on what feels like 3 cylinders. Then, the second I stop the car and restart it..boom. Like it never happened. Except for when I put it back and sixth where I'm sure the process starts again .

Is this something I need to check out? The only mod I have is K&N CAI and I've never had any issues in any other gear. But I wouldn't expect an engine to do this. My other car you could put it in high gear and floor it all you want in low rpms. It would take awhile and struggle, but I never had a loss of power or a CEL come on.

Anyone have an issue like this? Or can think of the cause. I didn't reset the ECU when instaling the CAI but that was about two months ago, and it has idled fine.
I don't understand why you would shift to 6th gear and floor it while only going 25 mph? ? ? What happened to 3,4,5 gears...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've actually experienced this before on my 2012 while flooring it at around 15kish miles, right after I installed my Takeda Cai. This happened about two or three times, even bought a scanner to scan for codes, nothing. Someone said to disconnect the battery if I didn't already while or after I installed my cai. They said it would let the ecu reset and adjust for more airflow. Sincei then I haven't had it come back. I would like to hear more on this from you, glad I'm not the only one lol but check for codes first before disconnecting your battery!!!

Btw when this happened( I have a tsudo exhaust) Did it sound like the engine was sputtering? And when you attempted to put gas it would have a really hard time going? Because that's what happened to me and sounds like it did to you too
Yeah wow, this is exactly what happened. I'll have to do that once I get off work and check for codes.

·
Premium Member
263 Posts
Sounds like the car was briefly in limp mode. Regardless, 6th gear that low and going WOT is really really hard on the motor.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I don't understand why you would shift to 6th gear and floor it while only going 25 mph? ? ? What happened to 3,4,5 gears...
Was cruising at the time. Went to accelerate with a little throttle and felt it sputter. I thought it was the clutch, so I floored it to see if it would get worse, but just a constant misfire until the car was restarted.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
When was the last time you pumped gas? Also did your RPMs drop below idle after a few revs? Something similar happened to me awhile back and it turned out to be water in my gas...

Sent from the One
I had just put gas in, but its driven just fine since. I had this happen once before ( just the engine sputter ) not long after I installed the CAI but didn't think anything of it at the time.

·
Raspy is a bad thing?
4,535 Posts
Was cruising at the time. Went to accelerate with a little throttle and felt it sputter. I thought it was the clutch, so I floored it to see if it would get worse, but just a constant misfire until the car was restarted.
Cruising at 25 should be no more than 3-4 gear. Maybe I'm misunderstanding something? This morning, and every morning, leaving my house on the daily commute I ride on a 35 speed limit street and ride in 4th gear/ 40 mph at around 3k rpm...sometimes I get into 5th but it seems too low of an rpm at that point, so I just don't understand why you would be in 6th at 25 mph. Sounds normal for the car to sputter at those specs you provided.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Yeah, I'm gonna have to agree with JT, there is no reason you should be in 6th at 25.

I know you were testing for slippage, but still at 15,000 miles you really shouldn't be having a clutch issue. But in any case, if you are testing for slippage, 6th is way to high, try it in 4th next time.

I don't go WOT in 6th unless I'm on the highway and already going 65+ to pass some one.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Yeah wow, this is exactly what happened. I'll have to do that once I get off work and check for codes.
Yup after the battery disconnect, never came back, and about 4,000 miles since I did that and it has not come back and I haven't experienced any trouble with the engine.

·
Premium Member
263 Posts
Ill also take it a step further from what I said previously: NEVER use 5th or 6th gear under 2k RPM. NEVER go WOT on 5th or 6th gear under 3K RPM. This is what 4th gear is for. Infact 4th gear is strangely the most usable gear in our Si.

·
Registered
8,232 Posts
Ill also take it a step further from what I said previously: NEVER use 5th or 6th gear under 2k RPM. NEVER go WOT on 5th or 6th gear under 3K RPM. This is what 4th gear is for. Infact 4th gear is strangely the most usable gear in our Si.
I've punched it under 3k in 5th and 6th with 3 people in the car.just depending on all variables will justify the result.no 2 situations are identical.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 20 of 27 Posts