9th Gen Civic Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
If I am slowing down, to about 10 mph or less, and need to accelerate quickly, the car will sometimes "stall" for about a second before it downshifts and takes off. The "stall" is not a true engine shutdown, but is a loss of all power. It happens almost always when I am turning left. It's not a simple glitch - has some duration to it.

For example, in crawling type of traffic, if I make a move out of the right lane into the left lane, it will just die for a second then accelerate. It lasts long enough that I have stopped the lane change and moved back to original lane. It's a true second+, and not a small nuisance of a quirky downshift.

As you may guess, seems to be related to downshift to accelerate. Issue is mostly with left turns, and the long length of time it "dies." Happens some on right turns, never when going straight. Normal acceleration and shifting going straight line is excellent.

It really feels like some type of electronic transmission control misbehaving, if that makes any sense.

ECON is turned off.

Thanks

·
Registered
405 Posts
Sounds like the TCU could be malfunctioning, I'd definitely have it looked at. The Auto EX I test drove before buying my Si seemed to downshift seamlessly, I didn't notice any hesitation like you described.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I've noticed this as well. When I'm starting to creep fwd when I know the light is going to change and give it some gas its almost as if the car stalls, down shifts and than slams into gear to start going

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Similar to what I notice, though mine seems to be more in left turns when I'm going slow.

Planning to experiment with ECON and VSA features and try to make it more repeatable before I take it in.

Again, it's not a poor quality upshift, but more like a control is disabling acceleration (e.g. VSA), then when it comes back on, it's too much of an over correction. Feels like the engine completely dies, though it is still running.

Does not occur straight line, and did not notice it in the extensive test drive I did on another EX. I test drove one car, then later bought one that was the color I preferred.

I'll report on the dealer findings.

Happy Holidays

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have been having the same low speed stalling issues .took my car to Honda Service, their response " the system is designed to cut engine power if it senses that the actuator pedal might be stuck" I told them I was going under 10mph. I called to complain to Honda Customer service. They told me there was nothing wrong with the civic and there was nothing else i could do to escalate the problem. Has anyone else had any luck escalating this this stalling issue with Honda?

·
Registered
576 Posts
This sounds just like my 9th Si (stick shift of course) with VSA turned on when driving on snow-packed roads. If I give the car gas, it doesn't do much (at first.) (I dig the VSA feature, btw!)

The car does not hesitate with VSA on when driving on dry pavement, though. The fact that yers is an automatic and not a stick may be a factor. One of my big complaints about automatics is that they often shift into the gears I wish they wouldn't shift into at random times. For example, when you drive up a hill that is a certain steepness, and the car is driving at a certain speed, the auto tranny (speaking of generic automatic transmissions here, not the civic) will often waffle and switch from one gear to another repeatedly. It cannot make up its mind. But with a stick, no problem.

Also, many times when I've driven an automatic I've been driving on a flat stretch and I can see a incline ahead. The car might shift from a lower gear to a higher gear on the flat stretch, then re-shift back into a lower gear once it hits the hill. But if I had been driving a stick I would be able to *see* that hill coming, and never bothered with the temporary upshift to begin with. Automatics are just not that intelligent.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts