9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys,

My last car was a 2007 Accord LX Coupe which had terrible stock sound which I replaced with 4 POLK speakers, ALPINE 9887 head unit and trunk subwoofer (+ 2 amps). It cost me over $2000 and the install was a nightmare (thanks Sound Advice of Fort Lauderdale!). The scratched dashboard was the least of it. The AC controls were affected, as well as the mechanism that prevents you from removing the key if the car is not in Park mode (this caused a driverless accident later on, with my car sliding off and hitting another parked car). The sound was great, but the inconveniences were many...

Now, I'm getting ready to buy a 2012 Civic and I am hesitating between the LX and the EX, mainly (only) because I'm told the EX comes with premium sound and even a subwoofer. This would allow me to not mess with the car at all and it would be cheaper than aftermarket solutions.

- That said, if the audio is not great, what are the drawbacks of an aftermarket solution?

- Will the aux/usb ports still work?

- I'm guessing bluetooth won't work but a good aftermarket head unit will probably have bluetooth anyways, right?

- If the premium sound in the EX isn't great, is there any reason at all to buy the EX anyways?

- Can I keep the EX premium head unit and just replace the speakers/subwoofer? Will the wattage be enough?

- If you decided to go the aftermarket route, what were your choices for speakers/subs/amps/headunits?

I'm very conflicted about this so I would really welcome your advice on this and I thank you a thousand times for your time and wisdom!

ps: I only drive with the windows up (this is florida and we need AC)

·
Registered
116 Posts
Welcome aboard. The EX-L Coupe has the premium sound with 360W and a subwoofer. Having said that, the 360W is peak not RMS. The sub is fairly worthless and not worth its weight. Given your previous sound system, you will probably not be happy with the premium sound.

Drawbacks of aftermarket: You lose the bluetooth controls, you lose the songs information in the iMID, (still have gas mileage and pics), the aftermarket steering wheel controls work with the volume and source buttons (but mine is wonky and I'm still working on getting it straight) You lose the Aux and USB buttons.

Yes, a good head unit will have bluetooth.

Not sure about why to buy EX. I have the EX-L and like it.

You can't run a real sub off of head unit. You could probably run some low power speakers without an amp. The 360 W amp is really about 80W for the sub and 10 W or so for the speakers.

My signature should have the route I chose. It was expensive but worth it to me. If you'd like more, shoot me a pm.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
After dynomatting the car, the prem sound system was just enough for me. Of course it wasn't like my previous car 2x 12" MTX 400rms each. But I think I out grew them. Im actually pretty satified once i couldnt/minimize road noise.

I bought the EX mainly because of the moonroof and Bluetooth. Other feathers like rims, auto headlights turn off, glossed AC knobs etc was extras the LX didn't have.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts