Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
I Like Grits
9,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Excessive Engine Oil Consumption

SYMPTOM
The engine oil level is low on the dipstick, and the low oil pressure indicator may come on.

VEHICLES AFFECTED
2012 Civic Si 2-Door
From VIN 2HGFG4A...H700001 thru 2HGFG4A...H703398

2012 Civic Si 4-Door
From VIN 2HGFB6E...H700001 thru 2HGFB6E...H703802

CORRECTIVE ACTION
Replace all the engine pistons and the piston rings.

Update/Revision 02/27/2013
Honda has issued a revised service Bulletin 12-069 today 2/27/13. I will post the differences from the original.

Possible Cause
There are multiple possible contributors that may cause the customer to perceive a higher than expected oil consumption. Talk to the customer about the many factors that can influence oil consumption (see the“Service Advisor” section of this service bulletin). If you do not see any other factors contributing to the oil consumption, consider engine-braking as a possible cause.Engine-braking creates a high vacuum condition in the engine that may cause more oil to pass by the piston rings than expected. This condition may occur on vehicles with manual transmissions as drivers can downshift and decelerate with minimal or no throttle input. If a driver regularly downshifts to decelerate,especially at higher RPMs with no throttle input, such as driving down a long grade, or when coming to a stop, the customer may notice that oil is being consumed at a higher than expected rate.

Corrective Action
If you determine that engine braking is a possible cause, replace all the engine pistons and the piston rings.

That's about it. A few other things like a difference in the repair procedure and Service advisor information. All's I've got to say is: Interesting..
First I thought it was the rings now this "Engine-Braking". I guess it still is a piston ring problem but this engine braking issue is not helping either..

·
I Drive Too Much
4,526 Posts
Thanks, now I am curious to see what mix of piston sizes are in my block. Hoping it is not ABBA since I never did like that band.

·
Question Authority
6,424 Posts
Eeeuuuwh. That's not a good thing to have.....

Reactions: Digger

·
Registered
87 Posts
Thanks, now I am curious to see what mix of piston sizes are in my block. Hoping it is not ABBA since I never did like that band.
LOL.

but now I have the song "dancing queen" stuck in my head...

hope i don't sing it while driving or i'm going to blame this thread...

·
I know who U R.
7,994 Posts
So my vin number is included in this recall.Ive used about 3/4 of a qt of oil in 3000 miles.Now during that time I tuned my car taking it to redline a couple of dozen times.Is this normal or do I need to contact Honda?Ive got 28,000 on the car now.I bought it with 24,000.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Aluminium Member
2,080 Posts
Thats pretty high.
not sure what Honda considers high but if my Si used 3/4 in 3k miles I'd contact them.

This kind of usage is normal for a BMW LOL.

·
I know who U R.
7,994 Posts
My 14 CRV 2.4 engine hasn't used any oil In 5500 miles so I'm a bit concerned.

·
Question Authority
6,424 Posts
Thats pretty high.
not sure what Honda considers high but if my Si used 3/4 in 3k miles I'd contact them.

This kind of usage is normal for a BMW LOL.
Once again to the rescue, having owned three BMW's that had zero problems....as in, not one shop repair for anything and all three had the hell run out of them. One was very heavily modded and tracked (an M series) and it used ZERO oil and is the only car I ever regretted selling. Honda's have issues like ALL cars per this thread. I think the driver and driving habits have a lot to do with this type thing. Until this Civic I have now (which has had zero problems), I've run every vehicle I've ever owned very hard and several were sold at or just over 200k miles. I have one in the garage with 220K that has been disrespected except for oil/filter changes, transmission fluid changes, and paint care. I will keep it until it needs to be crushed.

If BMW's are crap, why are there so many of them? Why are so many people down on them?....envy, jealousy driven by lack of funds me thinks.

"I'm not opinionated, just right most of the time...LOL!"

"If you can't laugh, don't show up"......RC

Reactions: Stigmacher

·
Registered
11 Posts
Ok guys if u have any concers about engine oil usage go to dealer honda has a guideline for oil consumption ive teplaced a many of accords and pilots because of oil comsumption. Go to dealer and they will run a consumption test on the vehicle and let you know if its in the range of mileage anything over a quart every 3500 miles is when they would consider it honda will say anything under a quart is normal.

·
Question Authority
6,424 Posts
Also if you run 0w20 thats the cause change to 5w30 and it wont use oil
That's true. But, we're getting into modding one of the best engines ever designed for it's intended purpose to do things it wasn't intended to do by the designer and manufacturer. When one chooses to do that, accept what ya get. I've heavily modded but knew what to expect. Using oil doesn't always mean something is wrong. It can be a very subjective subject.

·
I know who U R.
7,994 Posts
Ghost monkey by you tuning your vehicle you may have voided the free re-ring
Id return it to stock in minutes they'd never know^^^^^But yea I've been modding engines for 34 years now started with a 71 Datsun 510 to numerous ford Galaxie FE big blocks.So I'm very aware of the end results.My current mods are a downpipe and exhaust and if it has been burning oil it has been well before I bought it.

·
Question Authority
6,424 Posts
Id return it to stock in minutes they'd never know^^^^^But yea I've been modding engines for 34 years now started with a 71 Datsun 510 to numerous ford Galaxie FE big blocks.So I'm very aware of the end results.

Status quo does not mean status go.....

·
Aluminium Member
2,080 Posts
Once again to the rescue, having owned three BMW's that had zero problems....as in, not one shop repair for anything and all three had the hell run out of them. One was very heavily modded and tracked (an M series) and it used ZERO oil and is the only car I ever regretted selling. Honda's have issues like ALL cars per this thread. I think the driver and driving habits have a lot to do with this type thing. Until this Civic I have now (which has had zero problems), I've run every vehicle I've ever owned very hard and several were sold at or just over 200k miles. I have one in the garage with 220K that has been disrespected except for oil/filt
er changes, transmission fluid changes, and paint care. I will keep it until it needs to be crushed.

If BMW's are crap, why are there so many of them? Why are so many people down on them?....envy, jealousy driven by lack of funds me thinks.

"I'm not opinionated, just right most of the time...LOL!"

"If you can't laugh, don't show up"......RC
Yep, lack of funds... that's it.
I'm so concerned about my status in life I'd rather buy an oil guzzling BMW than be seen in a cheap Honda LOL.
C'mon! I'm an Engineer for a fortune 500. Three of our 5 lines are German Engineered; they have all the bells and whistles! Guess which lines require the most maintenance and require the most re-engineering due to extremely low mean time between failure. I'm not knocking it, it's just a completely different approach / philosophy. I don't see any Hondas on the below list... and, PS: I'm German.

[h=2]The thirsty 30[/h]According to data from Consumer Reports’ 2014 Annual Auto Survey of owners of 498,900 vehicles from 2010 to 2014 model years, these 30 models have much higher rates of oil consumption overall than the average for their model years.

·
I know who U R.
7,994 Posts
I know the service manager at my dealership and I'll give him a call tomorrow and if he says its normal Im cool with that.I'm just interested in any members that have had a similar case and what they did.

·
Question Authority
6,424 Posts
One of the finest, most long lasting, most reliable, longest in production powerhouse engines ever made is made in Germany, is a joy to operate, and WILL use lots of oil for the first 20K miles. Oil is cheap for such an engine so fun to use. Also, a nickel tossed in the right easy to find location would ruin a German 88MM gun in the WWII era. Did that make it an inferior weapon? Ask the few veterans left that were shot at by one and survived.

That said, I do think Jap cars are, overall, the best.

·
Registered
4,055 Posts
I will put my .02 in. 3/4 of a quart for every 3K is not bad and they wont even look at it. You can get a catch can and see if that lowers the consumption even more since you wont have as much oil being burnt which causes more knock or miss fires that causes the engine to work harder.

It looks like Honda settled and the Civic was not included. Honda Misfire Class Action Lawsuit Settlement | Class Actions Settlement

Excessive Oil Consumption in Honda Engines | HondaProblems.com I cant find any more info about the Civic so I guess they think there is no problem.

·
Aluminium Member
2,080 Posts
One of the finest, most long lasting, most reliable, longest in production powerhouse engines ever made is made in Germany, is a joy to operate, and WILL use lots of oil for the first 20K miles. Oil is cheap for such an engine so fun to use. Also, a nickel tossed in the right easy to find location would ruin a German 88MM gun in the WWII era. Did that make it an inferior weapon? Ask the few veterans left that were shot at by one and survived.

That said, I do think Jap cars are, overall, the best.
I think we are expressing the same thing.
I do think that German Engineering is incredible.
Most German Engineered things I get involved with are absolute genius, concepts that are unequaled when taken from concept to reality.
I realize its one thing to take something from concept to reality and another thing to take something that already exists. Something that you can have, hold, and analyze over millions of cycles and engineer out it's flaws. There is a balancing act between incorporating known design and improving it vs being completely innovative. I'm slightly more on the conservative side, that's my style. I also believe that at this point in engine development the disparity betwwen the two styles does not warrant paying for the higher end innovation due to oil usage, carbon build up, and maintenance cost. I do believe a BMW was worth it in the past but at this time of transition with oil formulations / weight, injection methodologies, hybrids, electrics, fuel cells... whats going on with the ice still needs some work. Unless you as the buyer decide, I don't care... I'll pay more up front, more in maintenance, keep a quart of oil in the trunk just in case because I dont care I get more performance, I'm on the leading edge of technology... There's nothing wrong with this its just not how I approach things and not what I value.

Reactions: Roadcourse2

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
My '97 EX Coupe used a quart of oil every 5,000 miles from day one for the 16 years I had it. Ran the required 10W-30 oil (Mobil1) every oil change (10,000 OCI). When we bought the Mazda P5, I ran the same oil in it for convenience sake even though Mazda called for 5W-30. This engine uses no oil during the 10,000 mile OCIs and it has over 93,000 miles on the clock. Compare that to the Ford 3.0L V6 that sucked a quart every 500 miles from day one and the dealer service manager claimed that was normal.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.