9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking into getting an exhaust and a short ram for my civic, but I've heard mixed reviews in which if you are going to do so, you need a tune. My question to you guys is if I don't get a tune, would there honestly be any point in getting the exhaust and intake? Would I get or notice any power gains whatsoever or would it just be pointless to spend the money if I'm not getting a tune? Thanks everyone, appreciate the help!

·
Registered
72 Posts
The general consensus on this forum is that you need the tune to make power from your modifications, otherwise you're just paying a lot of money for the sound and the looks. The caveat to this is an intake with our cars really does wonders and so does a down-pipe, the exhaust is not a big deal for power.

Basically long story short if you want to go power I would suggest getting a tune. If you don't care so much for power and just won't sound and looks, then a basic SRI and a custom muffler will be fine without a tune.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
127 Posts
The general consensus on this forum is that you need the tune to make power from your modifications, otherwise you're just paying a lot of money for the sound and the looks. The caveat to this is an intake with our cars really does wonders and so does a down-pipe, the exhaust is not a big deal for power.

Basically long story short if you want to go power I would suggest getting a tune. If you don't care so much for power and just won't sound and looks, then a basic SRI and a custom muffler will be fine without a tune.

X2

·
Registered
908 Posts
The downpipe will pick up decent power without a tune. I suggest you don't change more than that. the intake generally ***** up how the car drives really badly.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Any performance parts added on you should really get tuned. I have full exhaust down pipe intake and header coming and will get a tune when all is installed. You will get noticeable power gains low end and a lot top in with full dp exhaust and intake. If you just want sound get an axel back an call it a day.

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,416 Posts
The ecu can compensate for changes up to a point without a tune, but exactly what that point is, I don't know. There are people here who know about (or exactly) where that point is.

But, as a general consensus, the car will run best with a tune.

·
Registered
813 Posts
As of right now OP I have an after market dp+exhaust + sri and it seems to run worse than stock to be honest, I do not have a tune yet though. So, from my experience...if you are replacing those 3 things (which i'm currently in the exact situation you speak of) I would get a tune. Shelling out an extra $800 for an eTune sucks sack on top of shelling out $1000+ and $200+ for those mods but you should do it. I haven't because of some financial shit that suddenly came up and I cannot wait to get this thing tuned....

tl:dr - wait to install these mods until you can also afford a flashpro + tune.

·
Registered
198 Posts
As of right now OP I have an after market dp+exhaust + sri and it seems to run worse than stock to be honest, I do not have a tune yet though. So, from my experience...if you are replacing those 3 things (which i'm currently in the exact situation you speak of) I would get a tune. Shelling out an extra $800 for an eTune sucks sack on top of shelling out $1000+ and $200+ for those mods but you should do it. I haven't because of some financial shit that suddenly came up and I cannot wait to get this thing tuned....

tl:dr - wait to install these mods until you can also afford a flashpro + tune.
Flash pro I don't believe is out for the r18z1 one yet. Hondata has stated that they are going to make it but not right now

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'll be getting my tune next month. I went with an RV6 High Flow Catted DP, a Skunk2 MegaPower RR 3in Catback, and a K&N Drop In for the time being. I've got a Hondata FlashPro and will be getting a dyno and professional tune within the month! Super excited!!! :D

·
Registered
30 Posts
I wanted to get a SRI, but it will be a while, before I can afford a flashpro. So, I should stay clear of the intake?...I have built and worked on many cars before, except a Honda. So not having a tune on it, and a SRI, will really make your car, run that bad?...............Tessa, how do you like your K&N drop in? feel any difference?

·
Registered
685 Posts
If you research SRI's...at least here on the forum...you'll find that without a tune...it really will not benefit your car. It may make it run worse. It might even throw you a cel. If you're going to do anything with the exhaust or intake, a tune is highly recommended to avoid any problems and to make your car run better.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Great post guys, I too have been researching a bunch of intakes and exhausts, but with this, I'll just save my money for something else

·
Registered
5 Posts
I was thinking of getting a down pipe{ Full Race} and {AEM} intake for my k24z7 and keeping my exhaust stock. Do you still think there will any benefits with stock exhaust?

·
Registered
172 Posts
You probably dont need a tune for the injen catback. If you definitely need exhaust get that and spend the rest on a nice suspension/wheel setup.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Most intakes that claim "no tune required" will usually do 1 of 2 things.
1) either make your car run bad or laggy from leaner a/f ratios at various parts of rev band. This can sometimes thriw a CEL, or
2) not change the amount of air flow over stock to where you will be able to feel any noticeable increase.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts