9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, Im new here. I have been perusing many different threads on this forum for a good while now. Lots of great information. I am starting to gather parts for a supercharger setup and will be using the Kraftwerks kit that is available for my 2012 Si. I have an Injen axleback exhaust and really like it. I know that that exhaust is not one of the favored ones around here, but I really like it for the simplicity of install and the complete lack of droning. It is exactly what i was looking for. I am familiar with basic automotive knowledge and have been working on cars since I was very young. I know that that particular exhaust does almost nothing in the way of performance. My question is... When I make the jump on my Kraftwerks kit and get it all bolted up and ready to go, will that exhaust (axleback only, stock midpipe and downpipe/cat) be enough? I know that I will be sacrificing a fair amount of power, which isnt really my concern. My concern is will this do any damage to the engine? Reliability? Also, will the stock cat even take the heat from the supercharger? What im looking to do is avoid having to purchase a full exhaust (New DP, and cat-back). I know some of you will probably tell me to take the cat off completely, however I do not wish to do this as we have frequent smog checks here in Ohio. If I cannot get away with the setup I have now, will getting perhaps an RV6 downpipe and HFC be adequate?

So to reiterate, my plans are...
Stock Engine
Kraftwerks kit
Possible Fuel Pump upgrade
FlashPro
VitViper E-tune
Injen axleback exhaust with stock DP and Mid-pipe

Thanks alot guys!
-Chase

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I have already and I'm afraid it's not quite what I want. I really am set of Kraftwerks. Is the KW kit not compatible for some reason OTHER than the power output being choked. Will the engine suffer damage? Will the cat melt?

·
Registered
292 Posts
I highly doubt you can go forward without upgrading the midpipe simply because the piping diameter wont be large enough to handle such a set up, you should really have 3inch pipping. The downpipe is also very constrictive, you would probably need a larger one, there are plenty available that include the cat, you dont have to go catless, the most popular are the skunk2 and Rv6 like you mentioned. Other than that I believe the kit comes with everything else you would need, larger injectors .. etc.

·
Registered
11,032 Posts
Are you supercharged with that kit.
no, i was looking into it & i do not want smog issues & noise pollution. i'ved call CTE & the stage 1 kit with their re-flash are design for the bone stock si. the downside is it's only 50whp gain.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I highly doubt you can go forward without upgrading the midpipe simply because the piping diameter wont be large enough to handle such a set up, you should really have 3inch pipping. The downpipe is also very constrictive, you would probably need a larger one, there are plenty available that include the cat, you dont have to go catless, the most popular are the skunk2 and Rv6 like you mentioned. Other than that I believe the kit comes with everything else you would need, larger injectors .. etc.
See lots of people are saying that but they Arent saying why. The stock exhaust is 2.25 inches. That's really not that small but I've never had a car with an engine as big as the si. I don't see why, other than the performance issue, it is a problem? I know there are catless and catted options but the only quiet exhaust is the injen axleback. And I would have to spend more money. I don't mean to sound ignorant. I know you have to pay to play, but I don't want to spend extra money and make my ears bleed.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Q300 with an RV6 downpipe is extremely tame with no drone, louder than stock when you go WOT but nothing over bearing or too loud. Plenty videos of it on my YouTube channel. I'm probably going to keep this exhaust setup when I go boosted as well.

·
Registered
292 Posts
There are quiet cat back systems for sure, the invidia Q300 is the quietest and has even been compared to stock, of coarse this doesn't help you money wise, you would still have to buy another exhaust despite having a axle back your happy with. Even kraftworks will recommend you pair the supercharger kit with a header and exhaust, though 2.25 is not small by any means, I don't think it can handle all the extra air your forcing through your engine. To be honest I think Ive read from member on here, you should even go full 3 inch versus 2.75 if your upgrading with plans of forced induction. I would double check and do a little more research before you make any purchases but im fairly confident about this.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
There are quiet cat back systems for sure, the invidia Q300 is the quietest and has even been compared to stock, of coarse this doesn't help you money wise, you would still have to buy another exhaust despite having a axle back your happy with. Even kraftworks will recommend you pair the supercharger kit with a header and exhaust, though 2.25 is not small by any means, I don't think it can handle all the extra air your forcing through your engine. To be honest I think Ive read from member on here, you should even go full 3 inch versus 2.75 if your upgrading with plans of forced induction. I would double check and do a little more research before you make any purchases but im fairly confident about this.
Okay you are all being very helpful. I suppose will have to upgrade then. However for a season or two would my setup be okay? No damage will occur for short term use?

·
Registered
292 Posts
Optional Parts: To maximize power with this supercharger, we recommend getting headers and full cat-back exhaust system. On some systems, headers may warrant a re-tune and may effect emissions status. You may also need to upgrade your clutch due to the increased power levels.

Other Recommendations: Please only use premium fuel (91 octane or better). Colder spark plugs are recommended as well, if they are available for your vehicle.

I got this from the description under the kraftwerks supercharger kit on procivic.com, it says you should upgrade to optimize performance but doesn't say you MUST, so you may be alright, I would just double check and be 110% sure before you start dropping cash.

·
Registered
677 Posts
I'm pretty sure DerekJA has the KW kit and stock DP and exhaust with no problems.
This would also be my preferred setup, or just change the DP and keep the stock axleback for the sleeper look.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I would personally get rid of that axel back and bolt the stock one back on and go with a catless dp and be worry free. You should be able to push 350-400whp with that kit on e85 =)
What is the benefit of e85? And why bolt stock muffler back up. I'm ow The axleback ain't much. But it's a straight through design muffler. It's better flowing than stock. Imm not sure I follow.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Optional Parts: To maximize power with this supercharger, we recommend getting headers and full cat-back exhaust system. On some systems, headers may warrant a re-tune and may effect emissions status. You may also need to upgrade your clutch due to the increased power levels.

Other Recommendations: Please only use premium fuel (91 octane or better). Colder spark plugs are recommended as well, if they are available for your vehicle.

I got this from the description under the kraftwerks supercharger kit on procivic.com, it says you should upgrade to optimize performance but doesn't say you MUST, so you may be alright, I would just double check and be 110% sure before you start dropping cash.
Yes I already use premium fuel and will get new plugs. I saw that description as well which is what initially led me to believe stock would be okay. AGAIN. Performance isn't my main concern at this time. Budget is. The gain from the kit alone will be satisfying enough until I can afford
An upgraded exhaust. I just want to get away with what I have for a while.

·
Registered
886 Posts
You're going to have to "modify" some engine accessories to put the kraftwerks kit in, cut the plastics from around your radiator for the ic piping, I just did the instal and it was not fun be any means. The kW came with some parts that don't quit fit" the sc oil cooler brackets don't fit right. I had to make it fit.

·
Registered
886 Posts
And my oil resevoir and intercooler brackets where on backwards, also you BETTER have a lot of car knowledge because the instructions are the worst instructions I've ever seen. The kit works great though once it's all in there. Contact Rickspecd on this forum for a great price, he can't be beat in pricing for this kit.

·
Registered
838 Posts
The axleback probably does close to nothing in performance other than to promote a different sound. You would gain way more by removing the factory downpipe and replacing with an aftermarket downpipe. Your probably not going to pass emissions with the kraftwerks kit anyways even with the stock cat. We have ways around that here in california, not sure how you guys do it up in Greenhorn. Dont bolt the stock muffler back up. To each his own I guess. My preference is to stay as sleeper as possible. Most cops will likely pull over a guy with an aftermarket exhaust than someone with a stock exhaust. I like to keep it sleeper. Dont get me wrong, the car will still be loud, but only when you open her up.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The axleback probably does close to nothing in performance other than to promote a different sound. You would gain way more by removing the factory downpipe and replacing with an aftermarket downpipe. Your probably not going to pass emissions with the kraftwerks kit anyways even with the stock cat. We have ways around that here in california, not sure how you guys do it up in Greenhorn. Dont bolt the stock muffler back up. To each his own I guess. My preference is to stay as sleeper as possible. Most cops will likely pull over a guy with an aftermarket exhaust than someone with a stock exhaust. I like to keep it sleeper. Dont get me wrong, the car will still be loud, but only when you open her up.
Our testing around here is much different than California. It's not really even an inspection. They make sure you have a cat and a gas cap. Then they just read your obd2 port for any emissions codes. Then you're done. Haha. It's quite simple to pass. My girlfriends old prelude burns so much oil and only God knows what comes out of her exhaust pipe. Even if the use the sniffer... I really doubt she would pass and not me; you think?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts