9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
8,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm not going to thread jack anyone instead I'm writing those for those too afraid to ask or those that don't have deep pockets for an exhaust.

So a co worker and I both have fb6's decided to build our own exhaust setup to see who would yield a better setup our budget was 2 bills tops
So me having plenty of Honda's before already knew what to aim for
Our goals and guidelines were minimal highway drone,better mileage and better throttle response and hp.

So ill make it short I won

What I used

I bought a 22" yonaka resonater
And a tln motorsport twin loop exhaust
Both off eBay and I bought a universal 3 bolt 3 inch Flange for the cat
And I took it to a good local muffler shop to have 3 inch tubing from cat to resonater and 2.5 tubing from resonater to muffler

My results were 36 to 37 mpg
My gears from dead stop to 4th getting on the freeway feel super short now its reving up much faster
And the fun factor has gone off the charts the loudest in cab I got with a db meter was 82 db at 83 I coulda gone faster but tickets that fast are expensive jail time maybe
Anyways
At idle my rpms dropped and the exhaust sound is non existent at between 68 to 73 is about 78 db and at about 80mph its almost non existent too ill submit pics tomorrow looks pretty dank close to stock for the cops too but for under 200 bucks you won't beat it hate me for using cheap crap I don't. Care at least I tried it and I got what I was after

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
93 Posts
and a video :burnout:

·
Registered
8,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry no burnouts in this car I have others for that this cars primary before anything is commuting and reliability but ill post pix and videos of the inside sound levels tomorrow

·
Registered
908 Posts
Your rpms aren't going to drop at idle from an exhaust. unless you mean db, in which case maybe. Nice results though, good stuff.

·
Registered
8,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Actually they will since there's less backpressure less stress on the back end and with the engine breathing easier through a less restricted intake it will works for any vehicle carbed, FI,diesel they all do it I have all 3 engine types to prove it.it drops egt's as well and the flow output is higher the stock rpm threshold is almost 1k warmed up with stock intake and exhaust,now its at about 800 at warm idle

·
Registered
908 Posts
Wrong, wrong wrong wrong.

The car targets an idle rpm in the ecu. it does not deviate from that based on any back pressure or egt.

It's all based on the Engine coolant temperatures and that's it.

this engine idles at 750 like every single k series on the planet from the factory.

There's a 900 rolling idle, a 900 warm start idle and a 750 operating temperature idle.

Also a higher 1500 rpm idle for cold starts.

You probably just experience a period where it was interpolating between cells during a particular period of engine coolant temperatures. It does do that.

·
400 Club here I come!
1,660 Posts
LOL W00t is at it again! I would like to see some pics and video of your budget build, I was thinking about a Vibrant resonator, and going 3" all the way through, Eventually... I like seeing budget work :D makes me happy. Oh yeah and this guy(W00t) is right, even though I swear my Idle drops faster now that I got rid of the Stock DP... I'm sure your both right. Just live with it W00t Your not always 100% correct, that doesn't mean you have to go in there and type, "WRONG WRONG WRONG." maybe your not here to make friends, but I like to think that the rest of us give helpful, nice, tactful, and polite advice. turn your :( up side down. :D

·
Registered
908 Posts
LOL W00t is at it again! I would like to see some pics and video of your budget build, I was thinking about a Vibrant resonator, and going 3" all the way through, Eventually... I like seeing budget work :D makes me happy. Oh yeah and this guy(W00t) is right, even though I swear my Idle drops faster now that I got rid of the Stock DP... I'm sure your both right. Just live with it W00t Your not always 100% correct, that doesn't mean you have to go in there and type, "WRONG WRONG WRONG." maybe your not here to make friends, but I like to think that the rest of us give helpful, nice, tactful, and polite advice. turn your :( up side down. :D
That may very well be true, but it's not because of your exhaust, it would only be related to you having flashpro targeting different idle rpm values and your engine coolant temps. Nothing to do with egt's or backpressure.

And what he's saying is not what you're saying. He's saying it literally idles at a lower rpm, and the rpm points he mentioned are all warm idle stuff, nothing to do with operating temperature idle.

I love his work, it's awesome to see custom exhaust, but i'm gonna stop him on the last bit because then you've got people thinking exhaust somehow lowers their idle.

·
Registered
8,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Seeing how this is deviating from what the title says I don't feel like playing the penis measuring game,as he mentioned every k engine in the world oh wait that's right the z7 is its own beast not sharing much with any of the others its like saying the f20c is the same thing as a k since the k was derived from the f20/22c however it varies depending on the ecu readouts as well as wait for it wait for it .....other variables such as egts barometric readings o2 readings all that is tied in not just coolant readings,BUT ANYWAYS to the previous comment following my build

If you go 3 inch depending on your build even tho its possible its not exactly the best for daily driving,it'll do you justice on the freeway a lot and high speed but even with a tune and other add ons 3 inch is pushing it even adding a resonater and a twin loop now let me fully make you aware before this gets spoiled and deviates again from my title
It depends on what your after goals and driving habits and methods and what roads and where you live it would be a shame if you ran 3 inch and you live high up above sea level or frequently drove in higher sea levels your engine will be gasping for air so in essence having a wide open exhaust will hinder it but what do I know right,I don't have a 600hp 1100 lb tq diesel in my drive way I don't have a 650 horse carbed 350 in my garage or a 162hp lightly moded z6 oh wait that's right I do I built em all the rpms dropped just fine on those oh yeah the coolant levels were just fine on those too

·
400 Club here I come!
1,660 Posts
Yeah, I get that I'm not high above sea level when I move back to Montana I will be. Or near MT. I was thinking 3" mostly because eventually I'm going to do the head swap, get me sum bigger bump sticks, and run a RH if all goes well. Hell that might be in a couple years. I'm going to build up parts for now.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
2013 Jan K24 ROTM Winner
2,099 Posts
Well here's my opinion lol woot probably should start it by saying WRONG WRONG WRONG but I actually do agree with what woot said. I can go in flashpro and say exactly what RPMs I want my car to idle at depending on engine coolant temp only. But your exhaust looks good, I always do custom exhausts and never buy aftermarket, so it's nice to see some other methods.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
8,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Correct however I don't have flashpro you can't do anything to a stock ecu without any tooling so its relying on its stock sensors and readings so if it reads other than Normal readings it'll try to acomodate for em all ecus do wether it be diesel 2 stroke diesel forced induction petrol etc etc

·
Registered
8,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Either way thanx like I stated earlier I'm not racing this car and Its primary focus is commuter and reliability hence I bought the extended coverage and maintenance plan and if I tell you what I paid someone else might chime in saying I'm wrong but yeah I won't be doing much tuning to this ill do that with my hatch or prelude

·
Registered
8,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Oh yeah and since ill probably be called out on my diesel and others here and there's my sedan and prelude

Attachments

·
400 Club here I come!
1,660 Posts
That a Monte? Noice!!! I wanted to build me one..

1 - 20 of 43 Posts