9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ever since I installed my FullRace catback exhaust, I'm getting an enormous amount of exhaust soot on my rear bumper. I installed the exhaust with some stiffer exhaust hangers and when installed the exhaust tip was about 1/8 - 1/16 inch away from the bumper. I went to an exhaust shop to lower the tip (close to an inch away now), but it's still in the same location in terms of how much it extends out. I looked at numerous pictures with the exhaust installed, and it seems like mine is the same as everyone else.

Will lowering the exhaust tip away from the bumper help with this build up? If not, what can I do to remedy this? I was thinking extending the tip, but I think it'll look kind of weird.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I had the same problem. Never had a fix just dealt with it and waxed the bumper regularly. Totally sucked on the white paint

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had the same problem. Never had a fix just dealt with it and waxed the bumper regularly. Totally sucked on the white paint

Damn, yea I'm sitting here looking at pics and videos to do a comparison. I'm not sure if I should extend the tip out more...........

·
Registered
407 Posts
I don't think you can fix it. Mine does the same, and I'm boosted (they seem to tune them rich under boost).
Watch a couple videos on wind tunnel testing and you'll get a good idea on why moving the tip doesn't help.
I wonder if ceramic coating the bumper would help.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I don't think you can fix it. Mine does the same, and I'm boosted (they seem to tune them rich under boost).
Watch a couple videos on wind tunnel testing and you'll get a good idea on why moving the tip doesn't help.
I wonder if ceramic coating the bumper would help.
Car is already ceramic coated. It comes off fairly easy, it's just after 2 days of driving it's yellow and brown. I've been going thru other forums and it seems like a common problem.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the soot on my tailpipe is almost non existent after tuning with etunez.
are you tuned?
Yes, car is tuned. It only started when I installed the aftermarket exhaust. No issues with stock exhaust.

·
Registered
407 Posts
I don't think any exhaust adjustments will help, air just whips around back there (obviously not our car in pic, but will be the same).
Curious, do you have a cat?
Andymac, are you forced induction, or is your MAF sensor being used?

Attachments

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't think any exhaust adjustments will help, air just whips around back there (obviously not our car in pic, but will be the same).
Curious, do you have a cat?
Andymac, are you forced induction, or is your MAF sensor being used?
Yes, I have the FullRace catted downpipe and exhaust.

·
Registered
407 Posts
I'm not catted, but had no choice. I was hoping it would help.
Are you speed density tuned with the supercharger?

·
Registered
183 Posts
i’m running acuity cai, plm catless dp, etunez.
im assuming the maf is being used, all the tuning stuff i left to the pros, im dumb with that stuff.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Yep, your using your MAF still then. Once you go forced induction its speed density only, and probably explains why your bumpers clean and ours isn't.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Yep, your using your MAF still then. Once you go forced induction its speed density only, and probably explains why your bumpers clean and ours isn't.
You really can't know that for sure without seeing his map. Any car can be speed density tuned. And while i know many do go speed density under boost but it's not required. There are plenty of MAF cars that are boosted.
My cte stage 1 kit was MAF tuned by vit. Also my wrx is MAF based.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Congrats, not many with forced induction use the MAF still! Do you run off speed density under boost?
Do you have exhaust soot on your bumper?
L

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I asked my tuner the question on the difference, and he stated that the MAF sensor maxes out quickly in the stock housing (I was using stock intake at the time); and was pretty close to maxing it out at 350whp. MAF is great for a lot of applications if the house is well designed.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts