9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Purchased a used 13 si a week ago. First manual for me. This is a newb lamo post but I was curious. What are “safe” rev ranges for a 13 si with 90k miles on it... in great condition with perfect car facts. I try to keep it below 4.5k rpm. I’m case you more of an imbecile than me... no I’m not a car guy.... thanks.

·
Registered
937 Posts
I've redlined my car several times a day, every day its been driven for the past 7 years / 105k miles. Thats kind of the point of buying a Honda.

If you're asking for when you should be shifting during normal driving, then the answer is just that it depends on throttle input. If I'm slowly putting around a neighborhood at 25 mph, I'm shifting before 2800 RPM. If I'm accelerating with traffic on a 55 mph road, maybe I'll shift at 3500-4000. Depending on the speed I'm going, I usually try to keep cruising RPM at around 2500, but this is just for the sake of efficiency and noise, not wear and tear.

You really just shift when it feels appropriate. You're not going to hurt a healthy Honda vtec engine by revving it too high. This would only be a problem if you were just commuting around at 6k RPM constantly.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've redlined my car several times a day, every day its been driven for the past 7 years / 105k miles. Thats kind of the point of buying a Honda.

If you're asking for when you should be shifting during normal driving, then the answer is just that it depends on throttle input. If I'm slowly putting around a neighborhood at 25 mph, I'm shifting before 2800 RPM. If I'm accelerating with traffic on a 55 mph road, maybe I'll shift at 3500-4000. Depending on the speed I'm going, I usually try to keep cruising RPM at around 2500, but this is just for the sake of efficiency and noise, not wear and tear.

You really just shift when it feels appropriate. You're not going to hurt a healthy Honda vtec engine by revving it too high. This would only be a problem if you were just commuting around at 6k RPM constantly.
thank you for the tips!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts