9th Gen Civic Forum banner

21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
25mph, school zone fender bender... the frame shift 1.5" to the right... the car is moving so slow that no airbag was deployed & my daughter in the back seat is perfectly fine...

Modern vehicles are designed to squish like this -- as the frame deforms, it is absorbing energy, and is desinged to drop the engine so that it doesn't go into the firewall and towards the driver and passenger.

Maybe having this happen at 25Mph is excessive, or maybe it's how Honda gets great safety ratings, by sacrificing the frame of the car rather than sacrificing you. :) There was enough energy in the impact to do that to the metal.

Question on the braces -- are you planning to get more of the other braces in stock? I'm interested in a few of them...

·
Registered
11,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Modern vehicles are designed to squish like this -- as the frame deforms, it is absorbing energy, and is desinged to drop the engine so that it doesn't go into the firewall and towards the driver and passenger.

Maybe having this happen at 25Mph is excessive, or maybe it's how Honda gets great safety ratings, by sacrificing the frame of the car rather than sacrificing you. :) There was enough energy in the impact to do that to the metal.

Question on the braces -- are you planning to get more of the other braces in stock? I'm interested in a few of them...
other braces are being delay as we are preparing for 10th gen civic suspensions parts...

·
Registered
256 Posts

Yeah, this is true, the front crash zones are designed to crumple like this, the rear won't crumple as much because there's no motor and not as much space before the passenger compartment. So in your case, you car was taking more of the energy because the rear of the other car would push back more so to speak.

21 - 40 of 50 Posts