81 - 99 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Umm website not working?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just spoke to the person who does the flipkey and he doesnt do this service anymore. Anybody else know of a person who does FlipKey conversion in Southern California?

·
Registered
80 Posts
I was Sheef's last customer. I want to post my quick review of the Sheef made flip key. While I can't comment on why he closed the shop, I can comment on how the end product is. They key works 100% and it's still working 3 month later. Here a few of my complaints:

1. The key shell he used was not as nice as some of the other key shells out there. Although I can swap for another one if needed. The material of the key shell is nice but not OEM nice. Some keys have slightly different design so the "key" part is not 100% transferable. All my previous VWs have flip keys. I know how a OEM flip key should feel.

2. I opted for a red "H" emblem, it was not a perfect fit and feels very cheap, I lost it the second week I got it.

3. The biggest compliant I have is how key itself was "cut". He did not cut the new blank key that come with the key shell with locksmith. Instead, he cut off the old key off my OEM remote r and JB welded onto the new blank key (also cut off right before the joint). The results is a very rough finish. Moreover, the materials of the OEM key and the flip key blank are different. This combined cheap feeling key shell made the whole key look very cheap. I actually prefer my OEM key over this one. The JB weld is still hold up just fine as of today.

In the end, I would not personally recommend this type of conversion service to anyone. Make sure you ask everything up front and you are happy with it. I destroyed one of my remote for one of these. Is it worth it? No. I would rather have my old OEM key back.

Size wise the Flip key is just as large as the OEM key. If not bigger.

·
Baned
8,538 Posts
I think the only place that can properly duplicate our vehicle keys is the dealership. Sure, it will probably be butt-expensive, but at least you know it will be done correctly. It wouldn't hurt though to ask a few locksmiths before you give the dealership your second-born child (because you probably gave them your firstborn when you bought the car).

sent from my mobile communications device

·
Vanilla Ice is my hero!!!
539 Posts
You don't have to get the key reprogrammed. You take all the internals out of your old key. You do have to de-solder the transponder from the board and solder on 2 lengths of wire so that the transponder is near the base of the metal of the new key. Any locksmith that cuts keys can easily duplicate/cut your key. You do not have to take it to the dealership.

When I ordered my key I took it to the mall and got it cut. The next day I did the solder work and was done. The flip key I got from ebay feels just like OEM and has a black H on it. It's been about 1.5 years since I did this and the key still looks fairly new.

·
Registered
126 Posts
For you guys that have done this, any tips on getting the transponder off? I bought a basic solder off of amazon and went at it today, but it seemed like it wasn't getting the solder hot enough to remove the transponder. This solder doesn't have any temp adjustments, so I can't make it any hotter.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #91
For you guys that have done this, any tips on getting the transponder off? I bought a basic solder off of amazon and went at it today, but it seemed like it wasn't getting the solder hot enough to remove the transponder. This solder doesn't have any temp adjustments, so I can't make it any hotter.
you'll have to use desolder and make sure the soldering iron gets not enough to even melt the solder. also use a razor blade or a thin blade to get under the transponder after it had been un soldered from the board. if that doesn't work for you, you can also cut into your spare and use the transponder that is inside the middle of the housing. hope that helps

·
Registered
126 Posts
you'll have to use desolder and make sure the soldering iron gets not enough to even melt the solder. also use a razor blade or a thin blade to get under the transponder after it had been un soldered from the board. if that doesn't work for you, you can also cut into your spare and use the transponder that is inside the middle of the housing. hope that helps
I'll try it again sometime this week maybe. I imagine the iron was hot enough because I was able to tin it.

Regarding the transponder from the spare, you mean the valet key? If I were to use the transponder from there, wouldn't I still have to solder it to the PCB anyways? I think I saw someone briefly mention using the valet key for the transponder on 8thgen, but it didn't really go into detail what they did differently.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #93
I'll try it again sometime this week maybe. I imagine the iron was hot enough because I was able to tin it.

Regarding the transponder from the spare, you mean the valet key? If I were to use the transponder from there, wouldn't I still have to solder it to the PCB anyways? I think I saw someone briefly mention using the valet key for the transponder on 8thgen, but it didn't really go into detail what they did differently.
You won't need to solder anything. when you buy the flip key shell there is a slot that the valet key transponder will fit into. As long as you place the transponder as close as you can to the key blade, it will work.

·
Registered
126 Posts
You won't need to solder anything. when you buy the flip key shell there is a slot that the valet key transponder will fit into. As long as you place the transponder as close as you can to the key blade, it will work.
Oh, interesting.

I have the flip key shell and already read the DIY article on 8thcivic, but I was just having issues removing the transponder from my spare key fob. So you're saying just leave that transponder alone, and cut open the valet and use that instead. So I'll have two in the shell. Wonder why the valet one doesn't need to be wired.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #95
Oh, interesting.

I have the flip key shell and already read the DIY article on 8thcivic, but I was just having issues removing the transponder from my spare key fob. So you're saying just leave that transponder alone, and cut open the valet and use that instead. So I'll have two in the shell. Wonder why the valet one doesn't need to be wired.
Yes you can leave your primary keys alone and just use the remote from it. The valet key has a stand alone transponder in it that Honda programs. I'm not exactly sure how it works, but all the Honda valet keys have it. If you just want 3 keys all together you could also just order another remote itself and get it programmed to your car. I believe your car can hold up to 3 remotes.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Yes you can leave your primary keys alone and just use the remote from it. The valet key has a stand alone transponder in it that Honda programs. I'm not exactly sure how it works, but all the Honda valet keys have it. If you just want 3 keys all together you could also just order another remote itself and get it programmed to your car. I believe your car can hold up to 3 remotes.
Did you keep the transponder that was on the PCB and use the transponder from the valet key? If so, any issues? It was discussed shortly on 8thcivic, but I don't know if having the two transponders in the shell would cause any issues.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #97
Did you keep the transponder that was on the PCB and use the transponder from the valet key? If so, any issues? It was discussed shortly on 8thcivic, but I don't know if having the two transponders in the shell would cause any issues.
I haven't had any issues yet. I've had it for about a year now so... yeah haha. it all depends on what you would like to do. You can give desoldering another shot or just cut into that valet key.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I know this is an old topic but my key got ran over recently (fell out of my lanyard somehow -.-) and I thought now would be a good time to switch to a flip key. I was messing around with the old fob and for giggles I thought Id try starting the car without battery to the PCB. It worked. (I just had the PCB held in the empy case by it self without battery or the rest of the casing.) So now Im wondering do I even need to re solder the transponder chip to the PCB? Can I just desolder the chip and place it in the flip key?

·
Registered
126 Posts
I know this is an old topic but my key got ran over recently (fell out of my lanyard somehow -.-) and I thought now would be a good time to switch to a flip key. I was messing around with the old fob and for giggles I thought Id try starting the car without battery to the PCB. It worked. (I just had the PCB held in the empy case by it self without battery or the rest of the casing.) So now Im wondering do I even need to re solder the transponder chip to the PCB? Can I just desolder the chip and place it in the flip key?
Not sure if you're still looking into this, but I was thinking the same thing. On another thread I was reading, they were saying that if you go this route that the signal strength of the remote might be compromised. Though I suppose you can always just try that out first and if it doesn't work then you can wire it.

A few months back I found a seller on aliexpress that ships the flip key/case with the key cut already (just send them a picture of you key and the keycode if you have it). I went the route of remove the transponder from my valet key so I didn't have to do any soldering or risk ruining the transponder from the OEM remote keys. It took a bit of time to get into the valet key, but once out I popped it in the case (no soldering) and it worked perfectly.

I put a bit of electrical silicone in the little pocket that the transponder sits in so that it doesn't rattle around or come loose. Works great. My only complaint is that the case I have has a bit of a different emblem (it's larger) and I don't think they make a red version of it like they do for the OEM key.

81 - 99 of 99 Posts