9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone, I have a few questions I hope someone will take the time to answer.

I currently live in Springfield IL, and I have been watching the job market with my company and have noticed Florida has positions open every once in a while that I can simply transfer into and move. Seeing as how I haven't been there in many years, I was wondering if someone could help me out.

Does FL require emission testing? Google says yes and no for all areas, but wont give a solid answer. I ask because I may get a DP before then and don't want to be hassled for no cat if I go that route...

Last openings were in Miami and Tampa, is there an area around there that would have affordable duplexes for rent? If not, what about apartments? By affordable I don't mean ghetto, I just mean not super expensive area (I am aware housing costs more there). I figure work in the city, and then live in a suburb. My Civic gets decent mileage and am willing to deal with a little traffic to and from work. Most I have to deal with is Chicago around here and I am ok with that kind of traffic.

Whats the modified car scene like there? Here in Springfield...it sucks. Terribly. No one has interest in it, those that do, hardly get along.

If I were to accept a position there, is there any way for me to hire someone to help me unpack? (I don't trust craigslist) Even a member here I would be willing to buy Pizza and beer for or something.

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
55 Posts
No emissions.

I dont know rent cost for apartments in either city, but I am in Jacksonville Fl and my wife and I had a 2 bedroom apartment in a nice area for $980 a month. we now live in a 3 bedroom home for $1000 renting as well. There are other nice apartments we looked at ranging from $600-1200. We just wanted to live in a nice are where everything near by and not far from the beach, so thats why it is a little high.

The scene is getting HUGE!!! we got car show pretty much once if not twice a month. Lots of meets, such as simply clean, V2lab, I love driving slow, ect... each meet as over 1,000 cars. The last simply clean meet was AMAZING!

I wouldnt mind helping you if I lived closer bro sorry, Im sure some one else maybe able to help you out, and with more info, and good luck with everything

Cheers,
Mike

·
Registered
511 Posts
I'm in Miami.
Car scene is pretty good down here, but most of the meets involve teens doing stupid things.
Rent is expensive. In a decent neighborhood where I live a townhouse will run you 1300 or so, duplex 1000, efficiency 7-800 or so.
High cost of living and salaries are not the best.
That being said it is Miami, and theirs always something to do.

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm in Miami.
Car scene is pretty good down here, but most of the meets involve teens doing stupid things.
Rent is expensive. In a decent neighborhood where I live a townhouse will run you 1300 or so, duplex 1000, efficiency 7-800 or so.

lol that's pretty much how i'm looking at it. It is Miami...so the cost may be worth it. However I looked again and both job listings have now closed. So I guess Ill have to wait until another one pops up.

So Jacksonville has more affordable housing then, ok, I will have to start checking areas out. I'll probably refresh this thread if/when another listing pops up. Thanks for the replies guys.

Good to hear about the car scene, even if it is a bunch of morons, its at least something to see. And maybe hustle a few races. Any drag strips around that offer weekend runs?

·
Registered
106 Posts
I'm in Miami.

This is almost exactly the same for Tampa, usually there's something to do here in Tampa, the car scene kinda sucks unless you're into street racing across the Gandy bridge...I'm sure there's a more legit scene than that but I haven't gone out looking for it.

Cost of living is lower than Miami but not by much, on BR apartments are between 5 and 700, not sure on condo's and duplexes cause I was never in the market for one.

I only last 4 months in Miami because I didn't speak Spanish and I couldn't find work...it was pretty much mandatory that you spoke Spanish. I know parts of Tampa are the same way too.

and to touch on everyone else's points...no emissions!

I could probably give you a hand unpacking if I had good notice and it fell on a weekend :)

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This is almost exactly the same for Tampa, usually there's something to do here in Tampa, the car scene kinda sucks unless you're into street racing across the Gandy bridge...I'm sure there's a more legit scene than that but I haven't gone out looking for it.

Cost of living is lower than Miami but not by much, on BR apartments are between 5 and 700, not sure on condo's and duplexes cause I was never in the market for one.

I only last 4 months in Miami because I didn't speak Spanish and I couldn't find work...it was pretty much mandatory that you spoke Spanish. I know parts of Tampa are the same way too.

and to touch on everyone else's points...no emissions!

I could probably give you a hand unpacking if I had good notice and it fell on a weekend :)
5-700 is not bad at all... I currently pay $500 but I live in an area thats turning ghetto, just cuz I wanted to save money. Now I wish I went with the $800 ones on the good side of town...

As for notice, lol probably would be a month or a little shorter notice. So quite a bit of time haha thanks for the offer! I used to be in the whole street race kinda scene, but really it just got old and from watching people get busted I figured its easier on my wallet to pay $20 to race on a strip all night, or pay stacks of cash to get your car out of the impound. (However the occasional run just to show someone up is still necessary) Lowered too far to really race anyone anyway.

Pretty much all I need for housing is 2Br and a garage lol. Place to live and a place to work on my car without stuff getting stolen.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Dont come lower than homestead.... In key west, housing with 1br/1br is 900-1100, 2br are 1200-1400,3br are 1400-1700 .... And those are apartments, towards the lower range

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
106 Posts
Yeah most "adults" just make fun of the "because race car" guys on Gandy.... I know we have a few drag strips, I'm sure there's track time allowed. I know tamparacing.com has more on legit track stuff. (not trying to plug another site, I just dont know anything about the scene in tampa)

·
Registered
178 Posts
I just moved from New Jersey to Kissimmee, Fl 5 days ago for a job transfer. No emissions is a plus for me and rent around here ranges from 500-900 i know this is not the area ur looking at but just to show you it can be done to just get up and go.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
I lived in West Palm years ago we had a 2 bedroom by the beach and paid 1100. It was new and in a prime location though. It was close to the NHRA track where they test every year and there was always something to do.I would love to move back someday,I kinda enjoy the young people acting like idiots( as long as they don't smack into me). I know one thing, the car thing in Atlanta sucks ass,but I heard they meet at Wild bills on Friday nights,I'm going t try that out this year.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
106 Posts
like Bob said as it comes to racing

If you live in either Tampa or Miami Sebring and Daytona are a few hours away. Gainesville is about 2 hours north of Tampa..like 6 from Miami if NHRA is your thing. Florida is great in general for motorsports from the low level dirt track up to the Daytona 500

·
Registered
511 Posts
We also have homestead speedway in miami, which has a track that is usually rented out by clubs which rent it out to people that want to drive on the track

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Nice. Sounds like anywhere is really ok to be going. I always hear about how expensive things in FL are...but then compared to my crooked state, IL, things there are the same prices if not less! If you can find an apt in FL for $500 and still be in a good area, now THAT is money ahead! Here 750 and less starts getting ghetto. I would gladly drop a grand a month on a single bedroom in a nice area, or even more with a room mate to get a nicer area. And I understand the website link lol, The closest place here is St Louis and I'd be willing to drive the equivalent, about 75 miles to go to a race track on the weekends to just hang out. However I would most definitely check out the illegal scene, parking my car quite a ways away of course haha!

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yes!! Positions have been re-posted! And I just applied for both of them! Miami and Tampa area! Lets hope I get accepted and get out of this snow covered area!

·
Registered
511 Posts
Good luck man, $500 a month here is very ghetto btw lol. For $1200 you can get a studio at the bay if that's your thing though

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Haha don't worry, I'm going to probably be looking for the 900 price range. I figure that kind of climate would be ok right?

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hey! I got a call from my company in Tampa that my position has been approved and all I have is a phone interview tomorrow. I was told the position is an ASAP opening, so I need an idea of where to look at for apartments and duplexes and where not to. I'm sorry i'm asking again, but things can always change. If things work out I will have 2 weeks to move, which is find a place to live, get moved in, and start working. For now, I am looking for the $500+ range, non furnished housing. With a garage preferably.

Drive time to Tampa insnt a problem, and I don't need to live on the beach.

I will have to get a U-haul truck and trailer for my car to get down there, so loading up and moving there isn't an issue. Would anyone be willing to help out moving in, or help to locate a place to live at? If you live in the area and would be willing to text, please PM me and I can get ahold of you.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Did a phone interview with the regional manager for the FL area this morning. He says he has a feeling he will be seeing me very soon. I have been told once I am accepted I have about a 2 week time frame. I have been on the net non stop looking for apartments, and I cant seem to find anything good. ALL the ones near by have terrible ratings and from the sounds of it should be shut down! Most of the other internet listings look good on the net, but looking at street view they don't look good at all...

Is there anywhere within an hour driving distance that would be ok to live in??

1 - 20 of 30 Posts