9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

Here is the new hybrid variant of our wonderful 9th generation Civic. I traded my beloved first car, a 2004 S2000 for this beauty. I've had the S2K for five years and put 150k on her, but after spending some time in Germany, I just couldn't see the point of keeping such a car in the United States. When I made it back to the States, I started reading up on, and applying some hypermiling techniques to my driving style. I managed 35 mpg out of the S2000, and wouldn't even consider moving away from Honda with any of those other hybrids, so without further delay, here she is! I definitely wanted it so stand out, so I opted for most of the Genuine Honda Accessories that were available for both the interior and exterior. Let me know it you want any information on any particular ones and my experiences with them. Hopefully I can meet up with some other hybrid owners on here. I'm all about getting my hands on my vehicles whether it be performing maintenance or a thorough clean after a week of driving, so hopefully I'll meet some others here to throw some knowledge around with.

·
2013 Jan K24 ROTM Winner
2,099 Posts
I just want to know why you decided to go with the hybrid from an s2k? Is it solely about gas mileage or do you have other reasons?

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide.com Free App

·
Pickle Hammer Power
4,294,967,287 Posts
nice ride...welcome to the site

·
Registered
325 Posts
I managed 35 mpg out of the S2000, and wouldn't even consider moving away from Honda with any of those other hybrids, so without further delay, here she is!
Good to know that there are guys like yourself who hypermiled a car not designed for efficiency and actually yielded impressive results. I would have guessed that you'd go for the Si instead. It would be interesting to know how much you can squeeze out of a hybrid. Let us know.

Reactions: Digger

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the warm welcome everyone! Well, I had the S2K in high school and college and it was great. I lived in Germany for a year and after driving there nothing is the same in the United States. Obviously the biggest factor is the inability to drive quickly, and secondly, the quality of drivers and driving in the US is horrible. So, when I came back to the States I started hypermiling. I realized that I couldn't drive fast, and that the quality of other drivers wasn't going to improve, so I just relaxed, never exceeded 55, and realized that doing so lead to extremely relaxed driving given that everyone is passing me, I hardly have to worry about braking or having to make any real decisions on the road. At first I looked at the BMW 335d, but it was a little too expensive so I gravitated to hybrids. I absolutely hated the Prius and it's crazy design and interior, and the Civic with Honda's reliability and worthiness of the company just made it a no brainer. I can't describe it, but the Civic Hybrid is an elegant car in it's own way. Sure the interior is largely plastic, but still it has such a cozy feel. I think it's a car that gives as much as the owner is willing to put in to driving it. If anyone happens to hop in they will complain about pedal modulation. They will say the ride is harsh and the brakes and very sensitive, but that is because they are not using them correctly. The Civic Hybrid is a wonderful car with a simple yet effective design. It's not trying to be anything that it's not, and I like it that way. So far I've been getting around 55-60 mpg around town. I really don't apply too many technique on highway driving, and I tend to refrain from tailgating. I keep it around 55 mph and average around 50-53 mpg.

·
RevHung
181 Posts
Welcome!

·
2013 Jan K24 ROTM Winner
2,099 Posts
Thanks for the warm welcome everyone! Well, I had the S2K in high school and college and it was great. I lived in Germany for a year and after driving there nothing is the same in the United States. Obviously the biggest factor is the inability to drive quickly, and secondly, the quality of drivers and driving in the US is horrible. So, when I came back to the States I started hypermiling. I realized that I couldn't drive fast, and that the quality of other drivers wasn't going to improve, so I just relaxed, never exceeded 55, and realized that doing so lead to extremely relaxed driving given that everyone is passing me, I hardly have to worry about braking or having to make any real decisions on the road. At first I looked at the BMW 335d, but it was a little too expensive so I gravitated to hybrids. I absolutely hated the Prius and it's crazy design and interior, and the Civic with Honda's reliability and worthiness of the company just made it a no brainer. I can't describe it, but the Civic Hybrid is an elegant car in it's own way. Sure the interior is largely plastic, but still it has such a cozy feel. I think it's a car that gives as much as the owner is willing to put in to driving it. If anyone happens to hop in they will complain about pedal modulation. They will say the ride is harsh and the brakes and very sensitive, but that is because they are not using them correctly. The Civic Hybrid is a wonderful car with a simple yet effective design. It's not trying to be anything that it's not, and I like it that way. So far I've been getting around 55-60 mpg around town. I really don't apply too many technique on highway driving, and I tend to refrain from tailgating. I keep it around 55 mph and average around 50-53 mpg.
Thats almost as good of gas mileage as I get in my Si at full throttle lol

1 - 12 of 12 Posts