9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well I was finally sucessful in getting my new speaker wires into both front doors, without having to drill through the molex connectors on the backside of the top flexible boot.
The method I used was as follows........ Remove the bottom door boot from the door , and just let it hang loose, and leave the top body boot in place , no need to remove that. The passenger side is much easier , as there is only 1 molex connector in the way, whereas the driver side door has 2 molex connectors behind the top boot, which makes things a little bit trickier, but it is do-able.
On the drivers side, if you look really carefully from the inside of the car, you will see the 2 molex connectors that are blocking the way of getting a wire inside the flexible boot. On the very right hand side of both molex connectors, and on the middle edge, you will see a slight gap. This is where the speaker wire ( in my case #16 gauge ) will go.. I searched my garage hi and low for what to use to aid in getting the wire through, and I found a small length of vinyl coated clothesline, which works perfect. I cut off a piece about 3 feet long, and from the inside of the car, while laying on your back, with a flashlight, locate the gap between the 2 molex connector and slowly insert the end of the vinyl clothesline into the gap, forcing it down slowly . Before inserting it though, cover the clothesline with some lubricant to make it slide easier ( in my case I used KY jelly ! ) While slowly forcing the clothesline through the gap, twist and turn it as you go to make it through and down to the bottom rubber grommet.. The drivers side door took some patience, and a few ciggy breaks, but it can be done, and as I say , the passengar side door, only has 1 molex connector, and that door is so easy( here I actually popped off the top boot, and fed the clothesline up from the bottom to the top as there is a large gap under the 1 molex connector, and then into the cabin, then replace the top boot ).
Once the clothesline piece has sucessfully gotten through to the bottom boot, tape your speaker wire onto the end of the clothesline from the inside of the car, and slowly pull it from the bottom, until the speaker wire comes down to the bottom boot, then just untape it, slide it into the hole of the door, and replace the bottom boot back in position.

Honda was also so gracious in supplying an unused rubber grommet right above where the hood release cable feeds through the inner fender of the car, so find where that is, locate the unused grommmet,(its either slightly above or below I cant remember ), and remove it, drill a hole through the centre just big enough to allow your battery cable ( mine was #4 gauge ) to feed through for your amplifier in the trunk. Shove your battery cable up and towards the top of the inner Fender ( not far to go ), and eventually it will come out into your engine compartment via the inner fender, and voila, its ready to be terminated to the battery, just make sure you fuse this cable a minimum of 18 inches from the battery post for safety.Then reinstall the rubber grommet where your new battery cable is running through .
Then take the battery cable and run it along side the interior of the car into the trunk for use for your amplifier.
Hope this can be useful for anyone looking to accomplish the same thing.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Honda was also so gracious in supplying an unused rubber grommet right above where the hood release cable feeds through the inner fender of the car
well ****, i wish i saw this befor i ran my wire a much sketchier way. time to get the lube and yank that sucker back out

·
Registered
241 Posts
Yeah, that's where I ran my amp's power wire...I even reused the rubber grommet by cutting the middle out with enough space for my power wire and just reseated it during the feed, lol. Easiest and cleanest way, IMO.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
597 Posts
I did that today...using a coat hanger but did pinched a hole on the boot that's outside of the metal...Don't know if anything bad would happen in the future...And it was NOT successful..

I found that removing the plug is MUCH easier to get the wire through on the driver's side. But getting the plug back in (from inside the car) is nightmare, had to lay down under the dash and remove kick panel to do it. After that, passenger side is just a piece of cake...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts