9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My girlfriend just picked up a "used" 2012 Ex coupe (only has 3000 miles) . We live in Ohio and still have the stupid requirement for a front license plate. I have never put a front plate on any of my cars and have only gotten a ticket once in 14 years because of it. Anyway, my girlfriend doesn't want to take the chance. The dealer didn't give us a front plate bracket and it doesn't look like the previous owner ever had one on the car. Can someone tell me how the OEM bracket attaches to the front bumper? If it requires drilling into the front bumper I'm going to look for alternatives. I can see there are 2 threaded screw holes on the bottom part of the black part of the bumper. It looks like a bracket could attach there but wasn't sure. I see some universal brackets on ebay that I think may work with those existing holes but would rather go with OEM if I can. Thanks in advance.

Reactions: Digger

·
Registered
566 Posts
The OEM bracket attaches to the holes you mentioned. If you are careful when mounting the plate to the bracket, there won't be any visible damage to the bumper. If you're like my dealer and just mount the plate to the bracket while it's on the car, then the tip of the screw will gouge the paint slightly. Just be careful when attaching the plate and try to find some shorter screws than what comes with the OEM bracket.

PS: I have the OEM bracket from my car just sitting in my closet and I'd be willing to part with it for a few $$. PM me if you are interested.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Mine was never installed,I did keep it in case I ever move back to Ohio though! I hate fkn front plates!

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide.com App

·
Registered
13 Posts
The OEM bracket attaches to the holes you mentioned. If you are careful when mounting the plate to the bracket, there won't be any visible damage to the bumper. If you're like my dealer and just mount the plate to the bracket while it's on the car, then the tip of the screw will gouge the paint slightly. Just be careful when attaching the plate and try to find some shorter screws than what comes with the OEM bracket.

PS: I have the OEM bracket from my car just sitting in my closet and I'd be willing to part with it for a few $$. PM me if you are interested.
I just bought a 2012 Black Honda Civic Ex 4DR SDN... It has 12,000 miles on it and still smells new :). Pleased so far! It was purchased in Kentucky. Previous owner was also in Kentucky so the license plate bracket was not 'required'.

Do you still have this for sale?! :D I have locate the bolt holes under the grill so I want to get an OEM so I don't have to drill holes. The reason why I want it is to put a "novelty" license plate flag on the front.

Let me know if you still have it or if you know where I can get one! Thanks!!! :D

·
Registered
566 Posts
I just bought a 2012 Black Honda Civic Ex 4DR SDN... It has 12,000 miles on it and still smells new :). Pleased so far! It was purchased in Kentucky. Previous owner was also in Kentucky so the license plate bracket was not 'required'.

Do you still have this for sale?! :D I have locate the bolt holes under the grill so I want to get an OEM so I don't have to drill holes. The reason why I want it is to put a "novelty" license plate flag on the front.

Let me know if you still have it or if you know where I can get one! Thanks!!! :D
Pm'ed

·
Question Authority
6,424 Posts
Don't put a front plate on the car. I've lived in two states that "required" that and I was only stopped once with a verbal warning. I ignored it. Front plates look like hell.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Dealerships are required to install the front license plate frame before selling if the states requires it. Just ask them for a free one. Ask nicely or act like you are mad when requesting. Don't let them drill on the bumper though. There should be holes hidden on the bumper already.

·
Community Director
3,405 Posts
Hey another Ohioan! I got the bracket and the plate cover with my car. Don't know why they didn't give you one.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I picked up my SI last wednesday. I just took the front plate off today. They did drill the mount into the bumper, but only one tiny screw in the indented matt black plastic above the gloss black strip so it's not noticeable. I'm leaving it off till I can find a better solution.... hopefully I don't get shit on for this by the cops in the meantime.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts