9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all! Planning to do a speaker upgrade just for the fronts to get better sound quality. My unit (exi) comes with the pillar mounted tweeters, and my basic concern would be how to wire a new set of components considering that they normally come with a crossover set.

Does the stock setup have a crossover? If so, where? If not, where do the wires to the tweeter come from?

Dont want to rip everything out and get stumped on what to do next...

Seen some of the diy's and tips on tweeter replacement and need for spacers, etc, so thats been great, but havent seen much info on the wiring portion...

·
Registered
110 Posts
i would be interested in this diagram also to see how hard it would be to add the stock tweeters to my LX sedan. i'm thinking that they are probably just wired in with the door speakers and they pay have put an in-line bass blocker for the tweets. i doubt honda would have added a crossover into the OEM system.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think in your case, this would be easier, I also had an 8th gen and added a component speaker system there. since there's only the door speaker, all you will need to do is disconnect the + and - wires that plug into the speaker, and run these to the crossover. from the crossover to the door woofer should be easy enough, and then you have to (probably) run a set of wires up to the tweets (there's a diy for this i think in the appropriate section). In my case, am unsure where the wires of the tweets come from, and hoping that its done in such a way that i wont have to run a set from the door...

i would be interested in this diagram also to see how hard it would be to add the stock tweeters to my LX sedan. i'm thinking that they are probably just wired in with the door speakers and they pay have put an in-line bass blocker for the tweets. i doubt honda would have added a crossover into the OEM system.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yesterday was a holiday here, and got the morning off so I headed to a shop and got my front speakers replaced. DLS Classic B6 separates. I have these installed in another car and like the sound (at least for the price point). The tweeters fit in pretty well - had to use one of the mounting adaptors in the kit, which we shaved in order to get them mounted in the pillars using generic metal mounting brackets. Woofers mounted on door without issues using mdf spacers. Crossovers for this model speaker come in hi and lo pass filters (one for each speaker) so wiring was a breeze - just tapped into existing speaker wires, and that was it. Huge improvement in across all levels - volume, clarity. Cant wait to break these in. Highly recommended for those wanting to upgrade - price, sound, and ease of installation.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have just picked up a pair of Focal mid bass for my doors I am planning on running them with a Boston Pro Xover and tweeter. need to figure out which LOC I need ,I want a good really clean one.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have just picked up a pair of Focal mid bass for my doors I am planning on running them with a Boston Pro Xover and tweeter. need to figure out which LOC I need ,I want a good really clean one.
LOC? meaning you will be using an amplifier? if it's just a speaker upgrade, i dont think you will need a line out converter...

·
Registered
58 Posts
I plan on installing a two amps, Kicker 4 channel and a Phoenix gold MS275 and maybe an Audio Control EQX, 2 JL 8" subs and the separates I mentioned above. probably leave the rear speaker as is running off the stock HU.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I plan on installing a two amps, Kicker 4 channel and a Phoenix gold MS275 and maybe an Audio Control EQX, 2 JL 8" subs and the separates I mentioned above. probably leave the rear speaker as is running off the stock HU.
Ahhh, I see. Nt sure if phoenix gold has LOC's, that wouuld be a good choice. Am sure Scosche or Stinger should be easily available though. I'd say around 10-20 dollars a piece. Cheaper ones abundant but quality is a gamble. Better spend the few dollars more on something branded. Still not a guarantee, but better odds of getting something you could use.

You'll tap the LOC's from the speaker lines in the trunk for a short RCA line to the amps? Or go all the way up to the HU and run longer RCA's to the amps from there?

·
Registered
58 Posts
I plan on running a LOC off front speakers then running wire back from amp to speakers in door/A pillar. may run it tri amp as the EQX has that ability, and I plan on using rear speaker only for fill. I will start my search for a LOC soon, I was curious which one people have had good luck with.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I plan on running a LOC off front speakers then running wire back from amp to speakers in door/A pillar. may run it tri amp as the EQX has that ability, and I plan on using rear speaker only for fill. I will start my search for a LOC soon, I was curious which one people have had good luck with.
havent used an amplified since my 8th gen! in 2006 :) changed my head unit to an aftermarket one then so didnt use LOC's that time. Had 2 other cars in between and been happy with just speaker upgrades so thats what i did this time around as well. also note that i did invest in some good quality home audio (vinyl as primary source) and thats what i really listen to when I want to truly enjoy the music. amazing how tastes can differ from person to person and year to year...

·
Registered
58 Posts
I spin records at home! I use a vintage Technics sl 1100a with a grado cartridge, thru a Mcintosh amp and mission speakers. listening to REM now later some Canned Heat.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts