9th Gen Civic Forum banner

Fronts Speakers and Amp

3K views 13 replies 3 participants last post by  Skrub 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello All,

Looking for some help. I looking to add new front speakers and an Amp. I'm looking for clean and clear sound and not a booming system (I listen to Depeche Mode, 3 Doors Down, Snow Patrol type of music). After countless hours I'm lost and confused. For Front Speakers and an amp I'm looking to spend around $250 to $300 (and I will add rear speakers at another time). Here's what I found. Any help, tips would been greatly appreciated.

Speakers- Infinity 609CS or Alpine SPR-60C

Amp- Alpine MRP-F300 or Kenwood Kac-8405

Thank you in advance

#7 · (Edited)
If you want to go the component route, you'll need the pillar covers with a place to mount the tweeters. They're relatively inexpensive. There are component setups that allow you to dock the tweeters into the woofer for setups where there is nowhere to mount the tweeter. Maybe this would be a good idea for now and then later you could switch to a true component layout by simply undocking the tweeter. I'm not sure if the ones you mentioned support that mounting style.

The amps you mentioned are good choices but unless you're going to replace the pillar covers you won't be able to mount the speakers you mentioned (as far as I can tell at a glance)

Adding an amp and speakers should give you an increase in quality, but often if the signal is crappy in the first place you can only do so much with that end of things. The premium stereo actually puts out a pretty flat signal with no attenuation and then relies on the amp, I'm not sure what kind of signal the base stereo gives.

#8 ·
Thanks Skrub, I appreciate your help with this. Who knows maybe I should be looking at 2 or 3 ways. It sounds like I really won't be able to improve the sound quality with changing out the Head unit, thus getting an amp and component speakers really will just be a waste of money. Is that pretty much correct? Thanks in advance.

#10 ·
It sounds like I really won't be able to improve the sound quality with changing out the Head unit, thus getting an amp and component speakers really will just be a waste of money.
For a crappy signal coming in, the output is going to be crappy. OEM integration units are an option, but not a good option. You should get a new head unit and then get an amp and speakers.

This post has been deleted
#14 ·
No problem! Don't worry about it :)
LOC is a line out converter. It is used so you can hook up RCA cables to the stock head which doesn't have RCA jacks (usually...)

Odds are it would probably improve the sound quality from your iPod as well if you switched to a different head. Usually the head does some processing and of course amplification on the aux.

Another method would be to run a headphone/mini line amp from your ipod directly to the stereo amp... not a clean or pretty solution but I have seen it done... actually forget I even mentioned it... it is sort of ghetto.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.