9th Gen Civic Forum banner

101 - 120 of 121 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
I bought it from Ikonmotorsports. I just bought it earlier this year. I wish I would have known you guys had a shaved no plate version. Anywho, my 14 to 15 crash beam won't fit anymore. How can I make it work?

·
Registered
11,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #103
I bought it from Ikonmotorsports. I just bought it earlier this year. I wish I would have known you guys had a shaved no plate version. Anywho, my 14 to 15 crash beam won't fit anymore. How can I make it work?
you will need to contact ikon motorsport for their issues... you are missing air dam correct ? and you have a big hole at the bottom ??

and if you look at the bumper that is connect to the fender ? you can tell the line is completely off...

i don't know why your beam won't fit, all the mugen kit we sell have no problem retaining stock safety beam, just letting you know, if you crash with no beam, you will be at fault & you will be responsible to repair the car yourself.

btw, 12-15 use the same beam

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hmm perhaps I'm going to have to just fabricate one from a chop shop. Yeah the air dam is a screen that covers the hole. Maybe I can retry my beam to make it fit or shave it in certain areas. It would suck if I crashed my car. Good thing I'm not driving it currently lol

·
Registered
11,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #105
Hmm perhaps I'm going to have to just fabricate one from a chop shop. Yeah the air dam is a screen that covers the hole. Maybe I can retry my beam to make it fit or shave it in certain areas. It would suck if I crashed my car. Good thing I'm not driving it currently lol
you can't, if you don't have the proper beam or hack the original beam that is made for the car, adjuster can deny the claim.. you will have to find a way to fit your oem beam into the mugen kit you bought on ebay...

Energy absorption during an impact is very important in automotive bumper system. Bumper beam is one of the main parts in bumper system which is used as protection for passengers and frontal compartment of a car during impact. This paper is carried out in order to determine the factors that affecting energy absorption of automotive composite bumper beam. Studies related to the factors affecting and optimization of bumper beam was reviewed and summarized from year 1995 to 2015. From literatures, the use of natural fiber polymer based composite have been utilized in automotive components but still in studies in bumper beam structure. A further study to use natural fiber polymer based composite in bumper beam structures need to be study. Keyword-Energy absorption, composite material, automotive, bumper beam, FEA INTRODUCTION The main function of a bumper system is to protect the car body and passengers during impact collision. In frontal bumper system consists of three main components called the fascia, the absorber and the bumper beam [1]. Figure 1 shows three main component of a common bumper system. The fascia is usually used for aesthetics and for decreasing the aerodynamic drag force. It cannot tolerate to impact energy, thus it is considered a non-structural component. The absorber is designed to dampen a portion of the kinetic energy from a collision. The bumper beam is a key structure that helps to absorb the kinetic energy from a high-impact collision and to provide bending resistance in a low-impact collision [2]. Bumper beam will absorb the impact collision energy in a controlled manner before the energy gets transferred to the passenger compartment.
A Review of Energy Absorption of Automotive Bumper Beam (PDF Download Available). Available from: https://www.researchgate.net/publication/315099439_A_Review_of_Energy_Absorption_of_Automotive_Bumper_Beam [accessed Sep 13, 2017].

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just like to share my review of this bumper... I understood investing in this bumper there will be some draw backs and I was willing to work through some headaches but if I couldn't get it installed I understood fully that I would be loosing some money. Risks does have its goods and bads.

If anyone has a solution and can help/give some advice... I would appreciate it. Not so great with car terminology as well so bare with me.

Initial thoughts on quality of this product when it arrived at my door step?
I knew there would be some caveats but I was eager to look different from the rest. Just understand when you buy this bumper the material feels great and I was told when I painted it, I wouldn't have any problems with the paint not sticking on it. However, the base bumper (jdm bumper) is a replica so it doesn't come with all the mounting points as should on a original. (ex: For the most part the fog light that come with this kit is mounted with washers and screws and sits behind an opening that looked like it was hand made.) Overall, I wasn't complaining but just know you're getting a replica bumper.

Intentions for this post?
Since there doesn't seem to be a lot of forums on some of the issues I ran into with this amazing looking front kit. I thought I share some light on do/dont's for others as well. @team3d, sorry bro I've been slacking on fitting this mugen bumper I purchased from you a while back. Got it all painted and everything as well before dry fitting it (do: dont paint it right away, dry fit it first).

Issues

As mentioned above, I didn't dry fit the bumper to begin with and was too quick to paint it Dyno Blue Parel. After, I had to let it sit around a month just to make sure the paint doesn't peal off. After doing so, I tried to install the fog lights. First thing I noticed was that since the fog lights openings were not original, and the mounting of it looked wack as hell, I did my best and assumed that the Mugen body kit part of it would go over it and hide the screws like a ninja. (Wish there were instructions or pictures on how the fog lights were intentionally designed with this replica.)

Next, I removed the OEM grill and tried to see how the Mugen grill will fit and sure enough it wasn't going to fit properly because of the OEM molds housing the radiator. First I thought removing it but wanted to leave everything as is and eventually I decided to trim it a bit by cutting a tab off of the mold so that the new grill can slide in. Fits perfectly now. Kind of wished the OEM upper duct stayed...

After that, I removed my OEM bumper and tried to fit the jdm bumper on the car. That's when I lost all hope (DO: DRY FIT THE BUMPER FIRST! DONT: PAINT THE KIT RIGHT AWAY) the jdm bumper was not going fit on the car. The stylophone, which I believe plays a crucial role in the car - to absorb impact if ever needed, was preventing the bumper to fully sit on the car. Tried heat gunning the bumper but that didn't do much either so I eventually gave up. Now the bumper is collecting dust in my garage. The hope was to fit the jdm bumper on then slowly add everything that came with the kit afterwards using 3M tape.

As said before let me know if I'm doing something wrong or there's a way around this. Hopefully this review is detailed enough for others to understand what problems they will run into but am wishful thinking someone will come rescue me.

Cheers.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just got a 15 civic si coupe and love the look of this, can you message me so we can talk? I have questions like how much it is and what’s in the body kit group buy. Also wondering if there are any other ways to get this look or if this is the only website to buy it from. Thank you!

101 - 120 of 121 Posts