9th Gen Civic Forum banner

Would you remove the spare tire?

1 - 20 of 262 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The next time you fill up at the pump, you'll want to make sure that you don't fall for these myths. Save money, time and pointless worrying: These are common anecdotes we've heard from readers and our old-school, leaded-fuel-breathing elders.

Myth: Using premium gas will make my car perform better.

You're not going to do any good by filling up with premium gas if your car's manufacturer doesn't require or recommend it. There are rare instances where you may want to consider filling up with premium, but for the most part, today's computer-controlled vehicles can adjust an engine's performance in the majority of conditions. Some people may report pinging or knocking under heavy engine strain when towing or carrying a full load of people up hills. Modern knock sensors typically detect this pinging before you hear it, but if you do hear it, filling up with premium can help resolve it.

Myth: It's better to fill up in the morning or at night because you'll get more fuel.

We've heard this one for years. The reasoning is when the fuel is cooler, it's denser. A denser fuel will pack more energy in the same amount of space, so you'll get more bang for your buck. While density may change with temperature, underground storage tanks sit 15 to 20 feet below the surface so the fuel stays around 55 degrees Fahrenheit. Bruce Bragg, national account sales manager for fuel-dispensing equipment manufacturer Catlow and a 30-year engineer for a major oil company says one of the only times that you'll find a warmer, less-dense gas is if the fuel doesn't have time to cool off after being pumped into the underground tanks. Fuel temperature stabilizes quickly, so the chances of this making any difference are slim.

Myth: It's OK to top off your gas tank after the nozzle automatically shuts off.

Those few extra pumps after the nozzle automatically shuts off aren't worth the trouble, especially considering the fuel may just be rerouted into the station's storage tanks in some areas, according to the Environmental Protection Agency. You may also harm your vehicle's evaporative control system that prevents fuel vapors from escaping into the atmosphere. This system is designed to re-burn vapors, not liquid gasoline, that get pushed out of the gas tank when you fill up.

Myth: Pressing the fuel nozzle halfway will make you pay for gas you don't get.

This is a relatively new myth to us. And it is a myth. Dispensers have volumetric measures that can gauge whether they're pumping fuel slow or fast, Bragg said. It's not an on or off nozzle that can only accurately detect when the pump is going full bore. High-volume stations have their metering devices tested for accuracy by state and local regulatory agencies.

Myth: Using the wrong octane fuel will void my warranty.

It's not likely, but we wouldn't rule it out. Some automakers claim damage can be done to their vehicles' engines with prolonged use of the wrong octane gas. The owner's manual of the 2010 Acura RDX states, "The long-term use of regular-grade gasoline can lead to engine damage."

That's why we recommend carefully reading your owner's manual. Yes, it's big and intimidating, but there's a lot of valuable information within it. Will you likely void your warranty because you fill up with regular one time? No. Automakers that require premium, like the Acura RDX, acknowledge that a lower octane can be used in an emergency situation, but premium is strongly preferred.
Well i guess all those myths we used to follow and know about are false.. at least according to cars.com. Well a lot of it makes sense and they actually did the research to find this all out. Has anyone heard of fuel myth's other than what i just posted?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Thanks for the info on a tuned-in topic.

Fuel economy importance increases almost daily. I have lowered my shift point RPM and - in recent days - have measured improvement.

all the best, ez

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
dont be fooled by cheap knock off's get the best!
Fuel Dr!

The Fuel Doctor FD-47 increases a vehicle’s miles per gallon (MPG) through power conditioning of the vehicle’s electrical systems. Conditioned and clean power allows the vehicle’s electronic control unit (ECU), fuel injection and engine timing equipment to operate more efficiently

you gotta love the little gimmicks like this!!! just because there is a flashing light doesnt mean its working! who buys into this crap lol

·
Premium Member
447 Posts
----^ LOL! This is the stuff that airs on infomercials...like if you call within the next 10 minutes they throw in 2 free, with only 5 monthly payments of $9.95 or something plus 400 bucks shipping and handling.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Lmao, that's hilarious... like the one Billy Mays did with Might Putty lol funny.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Five Fuel Saving Tips

Forget what anyone says, gas prices will always be on the rise. We might be getting a break at the fuel pumps right now but it's only going to last so long. Depending on what type of vehicle you drive if it's a fuel efficient compact car or a gas guzzling V8 chances are your looking to save fuel.

Since we cannot improve the MPG we get from our cars, no automotive additive or engine modification said to get you better gas mileage will help, face it. The below fuel saving tips are probably as much you can do to save fuel other than getting a more vehicle with better miles per gallon.

If you’re like most Americans, chances are good you’re heading out on the roads over the Memorial Day weekend. Oddly enough, gas prices seem to be coming down instead of taking their usual skyward trend on the first weekend of the summer vacation season. That may be a good sign, but gas is still **** expensive; in fact, it’s doubled in price since 2009, and I’d be willing to bet that most of our incomes haven’t kept pace. Short of trading in your current ride for something more fuel efficient, what can you do to reduce your gas bill as much as possible? Below are five tips that can save you money at the pump.

Tune Up Your Car

A properly tuned car gets better fuel economy than one with spent spark plugs and a dirty air filter. Checking your air filter should take you less than 10 minutes, and if you can’t remember the last time you replaced it you’re probably overdue. Ditto for spark plugs; the manufacturer may claim that they’ll last for 60,000 miles, but that doesn’t mean that they’ll work optimally towards the end of their life. Also, keep an eye on any dramatic changes to your car’s fuel economy. Increased fuel consumption could be something as simple as a stuck thermostat, which is (usually) easy and inexpensive to repair.

Use A/C On The Highway, Not Around Town

Above 45 miles per hour or so (depending on the car), it’s more efficient to use your car’s air conditioning system than it is to drive with the windows open, thanks to wind resistance caused by the open windows. Below 40 miles per hour, drag is reduced and it’s more fuel efficient to drive with the windows down. Also, realize that electrical draw uses fuel since the alternator is powered from the engine. The less accessories you have on, the better your fuel economy will be (although, admittedly, we’re probably talking about a few more feet per gallon, not miles per gallon).

Squeeze The Throttle And Brakes

If you take a high-performance driving school, one of the first things you’ll learn is “squeeze the throttle and brakes”. Mashing the pedals causes abrupt changes in vehicle stability at speed, and that’s rarely a good thing on a racetrack. It’s not a good thing on the roads, either, since you’ll get the best fuel economy by accelerating slowly, coasting when you can and braking gently, well in advance of stopped traffic. Just like racing a Mazda Miata, getting good gas mileage is all about preserving momentum.

Lighten Up

How much crap do you carry around in your car that you don’t really need? That D-cell Maglight that you keep under your seat for protection won’t help if you run into a guy who knows how to fight, so you might as well replace it with something lighter. Do you need to carry a quart of oil in your trunk, or that lug wrench that you haven’t used in five years? Not only is a lighter car better on gas, but it’s also faster, so you can think of cleaning out your car as getting free horsepower.

Use The Correct Grade Of Gasoline

If your car requires premium gas, or even recommends it, you’ll get better fuel economy (and better performance) by using premium over regular. Will it offset the difference in price between regular gas and premium gas? I can’t say, because the cost savings is likely to be car dependent. I look at it this way: the engineers who built your engine had specific performance goals in mind, and achieving them requires a particular grade of gas. If you can’t afford to put premium gas in the tank, then you shouldn’t buy a car that requires it.

Also, feel free to ignore the myths about only buying gasoline in the morning, when temperatures are cooler. Gasoline is kept in underground storage tanks, which maintain a relatively constant temperature throughout the day. Fill up when you need gas, but I’d still bypass a station getting a fuel delivery. I know most pumps use filters, but why run the risk of getting fuel-filter-clogging sediment in your tank if you can avoid it?

Five Tips To Save You Gas

·
You Don't know Me!
4,030 Posts
The MagLite is more of a need just like a spare tire. You'll never know when you'll need it.

Reactions: Digger

·
Registered
58 Posts
Great fuel saving tips here.

For a few months now I have been doing all I can to get better MPG's from my vehicle and it's working.

It's all the little things that add up in the end for better fuel economy and gas mileage.

Washing your vehicle and keeping it clean (which you should with regular vehicle maintenance) helps with getting better mileage. It's been proven many times a clean car gets better gas mileage than a dirty car.

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
Great fuel saving tips here.

For a few months now I have been doing all I can to get better MPG's from my vehicle and it's working.

It's all the little things that add up in the end for better fuel economy and gas mileage.

Washing your vehicle and keeping it clean (which you should with regular vehicle maintenance) helps with getting better mileage. It's been proven many times a clean car gets better gas mileage than a dirty car.
im guessing that by a clean car you mean freshly washed and assume that the theory here is that the dirt cause additional drag due to changing the wind resistence and aero dynamics of the vehicle......would that be right as for what your talking about? if so, where was this proven and by what methods? also what is the adverse effects on mpg's of a dirty car vs clean?

·
Registered
214 Posts
im guessing that by a clean car you mean freshly washed and assume that the theory here is that the dirt cause additional drag due to changing the wind resistence and aero dynamics of the vehicle......would that be right as for what your talking about? if so, where was this proven and by what methods? also what is the adverse effects on mpg's of a dirty car vs clean?
Talon,
I have a very aerodynamically clean Grumman Traveler with significant engine/airframe mods that flies appx 150 mph at 65% power . When dirty( bugs/dust), vs clean and waxed, the plane is about 3-4 mph slower. Drag goes up by the cube of the speed increase. 150 is 1/2 to 2/3 faster than most of us usually drive. Also, the "dirty" wing on the plane decreases lift as well as causes drag. I expect the dirty vs clean affects race cars much more than our daily driving; however, drag limited top speed may be affected up to 3-4 mph in the 150 mph range. Gas mileage is likely affected by 0.1 mpg or less by a lightly dirty surface compared to a highly waxed surface. By the way, I washed my airplane today( has a good wax job already).
Incidentally, new Continental DSW tires immediately has a significant , positive effect on the gas mileage of my Si. Properly inflated, low drag tires help immensely. Also, 0 wt for the cold weight part of the oil helps significantly. 0-30(Si) and 0-20 (others) causes the engine to work less to pump the oil, and helps oil flow thru the bearings. It is NOT too thin!!!
Don't follow close that you have to brake when the car ahead slightly slow, nor brake when coming to a curve on the road; rather, decelerate in order to enter the curve at the right speed. Turn driving into an art form. This is what great pilots do: they put on an airplane rather that herding it around the sky. The best fighter pilots fly very smoothly: been there done that!

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
Thanks for the words of wisdom Sew. I wasnt doubting JDM's post was more or less looking for details and specific's or a source. I do believe he is correct along with yourself, and i do pride myself on keeping my car clean and in top shape :)

That's a good plane you got there too! back in my day i use to work for JPI (JP Instruments) so im familiar with small planes and mechanic's. I had some great clients that i use to meet at Signature (private airport located at John Wayne Airport in Irvine, CA) to go on rides and help trouble systems for them. My cousin is actually a coprorate pilot for a bank back in GA and use to fly Beech and Kingair but now they have him in a Leer 45XR.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I learn something new daily. Thanks.

Shifting at lower RPM works for me. I'm averaging 28-29 MPG shifting at 2500 v. 3500. Before lowering the shift point, 26-27 was the norm.

Guess those VTEC onramp rushes will be less frequent now.

ez sends.

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
OR THIS ONE.....

FUEL OPTIMISER EXTRA PERFORMANCE -- Improves gas mileage up to 24 percent; Uses stronger magnets for diesels, high performance, larger, and commercial engines; Boosts horsepower and extends engine life; Maintenance free; Independently tested in EPA-recognized labs; Works on all engines and fuel; Easy installation.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Another one that we've debated on the 8th was coasting in neutral to a stop. It actually uses fuel ever so slightly to keep your engine running. Whereas coasting in gear uses zero fuel as being in gear keeps your engine churning. It's been confirmed by those of us with a ScanGaugeII tool or the like as we can see the GPH (gallons per hour) is at 0.00, but in neutral it's like 0.15 GPH.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Another one that we've debated on the 8th was coasting in neutral to a stop. It actually uses fuel ever so slightly to keep your engine running. Whereas coasting in gear uses zero fuel as being in gear keeps your engine churning. It's been confirmed by those of us with a ScanGaugeII tool or the like as we can see the GPH (gallons per hour) is at 0.00, but in neutral it's like 0.15 GPH.
This is a change from carburetor days. As stated, slipping into
neutral no longer saves fuel; rather, just the opposite.

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
I've been telling a friend of mine that, but the fool refuses to listen..

1 - 20 of 262 Posts