9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Vehicle is a 2013 Honda Civic LX 1.8L, Manual Transmission.

As part of the consequences of being under quarantine when my family contracted COVID-19, my car sat a couple weeks, only being driven around on our property a couple times in nearly 3 weeks. I'm not sure if that has anything to do with the problem I have now:

The fuel gauge shows completely empty. No bars. I thought that a bit odd, but I thought it had been getting close to empty before. So I crept to the nearest gas station and filled it up. The nozzle tripped out at only 20-25 litres. Hmm, I thought my tank bigger than that. Lo and behold, the gauge didn't change. Still "empty". And, by the way, the orange low-fuel light is blinking, not solid. Owners manual says that means a problem with the gauge. So I searched online for what to do about a problem like this. I found the fuses for the Fuel Pump, and the one beside it called "Meter", both fine. I ran the Gauge Self-Check, and there were no errors.

Any advice to guide me through troubleshooting what is going on here? Any fuses you would check? And tips on troubleshooting the fuel sending unit?

Thanks

·
Registered
640 Posts
I've only had a similar issue once, and it was the sending unit. Since the car sat for a bit, is there a chance some creature may have made a nest with your wiring?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Maaybee... What wiring should I check?

Is it easy to get only the sending unit, and fairly simple to replace? Rockauto.com only sells the entire assembly unit.

·
Registered
640 Posts
I'm not sure on the wiring side of the sending unit. Auto manufacturers don't give electrical prints. I believe you can pay for access to prints.
For the sending unit on the Si sedan, pull back seat out, unscrew a metal cover under the seat, and the sending unit is there. YouTube should have instructions for your model.
I'm not saying it's definitely the sending unit, I had similar issues on a frontier I thought I'd share. Frontier actually had a recall on it luckily.

·
Registered
90 Posts
This sounds like a wiring issue. A little while back, I disconnected the connector to the sending unit with the car powered on and the gauge did exactly as you described. So faulty wiring can definitely cause this too.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I got the seat out today (Had to take out all 3 pcs: cushion, 2 back pcs) and got the lid off. Sure enough, I found evidence of a squirrel, and it looks like he carried off an inch or 2 of one of the 4 wires. At least he didn't get the wires powering the pump... Easy fix, works great now!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts