9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I really hope someone can help me with this issue.

Last night, I was running low on fuel and my fuel gauge had 1 bar left. I went to fill the car up with $25 prefill amount and the gauge read half a tank afterwards.

This morning however, when I turned on my car the fuel gauge had full bars and showed that the tank was full. (I know it only has half a tank so this is not possible). I tried restarting the car to see if the computer would reset but it didn't. I then proceeded to drive for 40 mins and the fuel gauge slowly went back down to it's real tank level. Every 5 mins, it would go down a bar.

Is there something wrong? I just got this car 3 weeks ago brand new (2014 Civic EX). I went to the dealership to set up an appointment but the earliest they can take a look at it is in 2.5 weeks!!

Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
865 Posts
Have you tried disconnecting the battery for 15 mins and reconnecting it? If that doesn't work it might be a faulty sensor or something.

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
How many times has this happened?
Can you duplicate the problem?

If you cannot duplicate the problem, going to the dealer is a waste of time.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey guys. Thanks so much for the replies. I'm going to try to start the car again tmr morning after I put it some gas today to see if it duplicates. If it does, then to the dealer it is. If it doesn't, I should just leave it alone?

I'm thinking the fuel float might have just been stuck...anybody have similar issues?

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Do you park on a steep incline?

Reactions: Teeps and Erkon

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
Hey guys. Thanks so much for the replies. I'm going to try to start the car again tmr morning after I put it some gas today to see if it duplicates. If it does, then to the dealer it is.

I'm thinking the fuel float might have just been stuck...anybody have similar issues?
My contact @ Honda said there are no known problems with the fuel gauges in the '14 Civics.

If it doesn't, I should just leave it alone?
Yes.
Ask the dealer to start a service file and make a note of your observation...
I would wait until the first service is due to make an appearance at the dealer, unless the problem can be duplicated when filled the same way.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey guys,

So turns out the problem did not duplicate itself after disconnecting the battery and restarting the car. However, I did call up one of my mechanic friends and he said that Honda's digital display has a record of being glitchy. Many of his clients of the 8th gen civic had problems with the digital dash and sometimes it would freeze up. So this might have been the case. To fix this problem, a simple reset of the ECU would be sufficient.

Another possible reason for this happening is the fact that my garage driveway is on a steep incline; thus, causing the float to be stuck. However, this wouldn't explain the reason why it takes 30-40 mins for the fuel gauge to gradually go back down to it's real level...

Anyways, thanks all for the help and suggestions! It's been my first post and I am astounded by how helpful this community is. I'll definitely be lurking around this forum for a long time!

·
Registered
3 Posts
The steep incline was probably the problem. All the fuels goes to the back of the tank, causing the float to rise. The reason the gauge didn't move to the original position quickly is because of the calibration of the sensor, and the gauge. The signal from the sensor is "damped", to avoid fluctuations as one drives over bumpy or hilly roads. What you probably saw was the damping effect from the calibration of the sensor and gauge. I believe you have nothing to worry about at this time. However, as other noted it would be good to let your service adviser know at your next periodic maintenance.

Experience: Mechanical Engineer

·
Registered
385 Posts
Hey guys,

So turns out the problem did not duplicate itself after disconnecting the battery and restarting the car. However, I did call up one of my mechanic friends and he said that Honda's digital display has a record of being glitchy.
That's nonsense, I've had my 9th EX for two and a half years and never had an issue with the gauge reading incorrectly.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

1 - 10 of 10 Posts