9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First post, first time Honda owner. I didn't like having the garage door opener clipped to the visor, it would have made a nice target for my forehead in the event of a frontal impact. Looked into getting a replacement rear view mirror with some homelink functionality, but wan't thrilled with having to route the power line up behind the A-Pillar trim behind the side air bag. Came up with mounting the opener with velcro to the vertical surface in front of the console. Thanks to the console cover overhang, you can't see it while seated, and it ends up being right at fingertip level with your arm resting on the console. It still has clearance to the rear cup holder.

I look forward to learning lots on this forum.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
First post, first time Honda owner. I didn't like having the garage door opener clipped to the visor, it would have made a nice target for my forehead in the event of a frontal impact. Looked into getting a replacement rear view mirror with some homelink functionality, but wan't thrilled with having to route the power line up behind the A-Pillar trim behind the side air bag. Came up with mounting the opener with velcro to the vertical surface in front of the console. Thanks to the console cover overhang, you can't see it while seated, and it ends up being right at fingertip level with your arm resting on the console. It still has clearance to the rear cup holder.

I look forward to learning lots on this forum.
That was exactly my problem, ended up taking the power from the lights above the mirror. In order to get it to power itself with the car, I made a small circuit (asked on another forum).
uS0vgfV.png
If you know how to solder, this could be your solution.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
i like jamis solution. question...like Dwils, when the opener is below the dash...i have to be very close for it to send signal to opener; whereas if i'm clipped to visor...i can turn the corner into neighborhood and push it...and wah-lah, the garage door opens.

so, how is the reception with your solution jamis?

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
so, how is the reception with your solution jamis?
I don't see much difference with the transmitter mounted behind the dash on either car. The Civic has a bit more range than the P5, but it's enough that I can press the button far enough away (100 plus feet) to have the door fully open by the time I get to it.

There's a lot of variables in the mix though. The opener, the opener's antenna, the transmitter, what's in between them when you press the button. The setup on our daughter's house has a fiberglass street light pole in between our path and the opener. If you hit the button at the wrong time (we keep her transmitter in the Civic's glove box and just open the box and press the button), the 240 volt wiring in the pole will garble the signal and you won't get the opener to respond. I have the same issue at my house with a street light (also 240 volts) and if I wait until it is between the car and the opener, I won't get the opener triggered, so I just do it before I get to that alignment.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts