9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are there any modifications out there for better gas mileage that anyone has done for their 9th gen hybrid? For example, aero mods, wieght reduction, etc.? I don't want do install a boat tail on my car, just interested in any ideas.

·
Bluestar's winch!!
8,762 Posts
The HF has underbody panels to help. I don't know if the hybrid has them, but folks with the LX/EX Civics were putting them on. I have a suspicion they are already on the hybrid model.

·
Registered
434 Posts
  • Drive more efficiently
  • Remove access weight
  • Lower the vehicle
  • Install low resistance tires
  • Keep the tires properly inflated
  • Fill the tires with nitrogen
  • Install a rear lip spoiler
  • Use 0W20 fully synthetic oil
  • Change the engine air filter more frequently

·
Registered
434 Posts
The HF has underbody panels to help. I don't know if the hybrid has them, but folks with the LX/EX Civics were putting them on. I have a suspicion they are already on the hybrid model.
I checked all the part numbers for the HF under body panels and it appears as if my 2013 LX sedan has all of them installed. I believe it's just the narrower wheels & LRR tires with the rear lip spoiler addition that are different.

·
Bluestar's winch!!
8,762 Posts
I checked all the part numbers for the HF under body panels and it appears as if my 2013 LX sedan has all of them installed. I believe it's just the narrower wheels & LRR tires with the rear lip spoiler addition that are different.
Maybe they also addressed that with the '13. Hmmm. Nice to know.

·
Registered
4,053 Posts
Use lighter rims. Don't use the accessories like A/C or defrosters, lowering a window a 1/2 inch helps the windows from fogging up. The whole idea of the Hybrid is to lower the engine loads at low speeds but it takes energy to charge the batteries. Use higher octane gas to lean the A/F at higher engine loads. Get a good reader to see what the ecu is doing, this way you can see what works or don't.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Any mpg mods?

Yo I recently picked up a 2015 Civic lx and have been loving the mpgs. So far the highest single trip mpg is 59 and I usually average around 43 per tank. I was thinking are there any mods to improve fuel efficiency further? I was thinking lowering it some might help airflow and perhaps an intake too but besides that im not sure. Any suggestions, thanks!

·
Registered
11,032 Posts
my 17" honda accord plug in wheel, even with 225/45-17 summer tires, i was able to increase my mpg from 26mpg to 32mpg, and on long distance hwy driving, i can top off 37mpg

·
Registered
887 Posts
Low rolling resistance tires like Bridgestone Ecopias mounted on lightweight rims will help. Lowering the car will also help as less air will pass under it. A catless downpipe and straight perforated core muffler may or may not help depending on the cam tuning. On my DOHC Neons that had 0 cam overlap, it helped as the exhaust gases had a easier time getting out of the engine by themselves without sucking fresh air/fuel mixture out at the same time or creating much resistance for the pistons upward movement on the exhaust stroke.. On my Mazda KLZE V6, it didn't did shit MPG wise but damn in was more snappy!

Marko!!

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,100 Posts
If you're not already using 93 octane fuel, give it a try for a few tankfuls. Either way, 59 mpg is phenomenal, as is a 43 average.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I put the underbody panels off of the hybrid on mine and it jumped up 2 mpg to now averaging 45 to 46 per tank. They were cheap and fit as they are the same body only modification you need to do is order the hybrid fuel tank strap as it gives you the only missing mounting point. There should be a thread on this forum about it already. I have the 2012 5 speed manual version.

·
Registered
11,032 Posts
aero, weight & friction are the way mpg junkies mod their cars, we have few fanatics here that's obsessed with it...

·
Registered
169 Posts
The easiest ones that I know off would be weight reduction, lightweight wheels, good tires and I don't know about the other civics but i've read a few threads(not just on here) of people getting improved mpg in their si's with a custom tune.

·
Registered
61 Posts
The cover under the engine was missing on mine when I bought it used and buying a new one improved my MPG by 2. I don't know how 59 mpg is even possible...maybe you were going downhill most of the way? I took a snap of my one of my personal best which is 50.2 after about 160 miles with the cruise set to 60. I've actually gotten it to 52 making the same drive without the AC on.

The absolute BEST mod you can make it to modify your driving habits; drive slower and at a constant speed. Coast up to lights, as using your brakes is wasted energy. Accelerate slowly. Yeah I'm no fun to drive with, but I mostly do it because it makes no difference; everyone rushes up to the red lights and I coast there for 30 seconds. I timed it and my morning 18 mile commute takes 31 minutes if I drive like a grandpa and 30 minutes if I drive like a maniac. Traffic and ways catches up with you.

Attachments

·
I Need A Vacation
13,117 Posts
Bottom line is easing off the gas is the best way to improve MPG and leaving 5 minutes earlier for work rather than gunning it to the next red light cause in rush hour traffic you really won't get there much faster anyways.

The cover under the engine was missing on mine when I bought it used and buying a new one improved my MPG by 2. I don't know how 59 mpg is even possible...maybe you were going downhill most of the way? I took a snap of my one of my personal best which is 50.2 after about 160 miles with the cruise set to 60. I've actually gotten it to 52 making the same drive without the AC on.

The absolute BEST mod you can make it to modify your driving habits; drive slower and at a constant speed. Coast up to lights, as using your brakes is wasted energy. Accelerate slowly. Yeah I'm no fun to drive with, but I mostly do it because it makes no difference; everyone rushes up to the red lights and I coast there for 30 seconds. I timed it and my morning 18 mile commute takes 31 minutes if I drive like a grandpa and 30 minutes if I drive like a maniac. Traffic and ways catches up with you.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
at least those drivers won! i really think they think they accomplished something amazing by racing to the next red light. i feel as if they would give themselves a pat on the back for doing so. i've wanted to follow one of those people into a store...and follow them around, up until the checkout, then 'race' them to the line and just get there before they do. then, mutter the words: 'Yes, i won'. if they ask, i'll just say, it's exactly what you did out there on the road.

·
Registered
846 Posts
What ever improved aero will come out of lowering a civic, the fuel savings would probably take centuries to pay off the cost of even basic lowering springs. Might as well custom fab underbody cladding at that point.

You're probably not going to find an intake better for fuel economy than the stock box, especially on the stock tune designed for that box. As others have suggested, start with lightening rotational mass.

But isn't the point of fuel thriftiness supposed to be to save money? Not sure i understand the purpose of spending hundreds to thousands of dollars in order to trim a couple bucks off your annual fuel costs.

·
Registered
61 Posts
What ever improved aero will come out of lowering a civic, the fuel savings would probably take centuries to pay off the cost of even basic lowering springs. Might as well custom fab underbody cladding at that point.

You're probably not going to find an intake better for fuel economy than the stock box, especially on the stock tune designed for that box. As others have suggested, start with lightening rotational mass.

But isn't the point of fuel thriftiness supposed to be to save money? Not sure i understand the purpose of spending hundreds to thousands of dollars in order to trim a couple bucks off your annual fuel costs.
I was thinking exactly this. I did a little cost comparison when I was buying my Civic. It was between this 40 mpg Civic and a different 35 mpg car. Over 170,000 miles the gas savings would be about $1500. That's $300 per mpg, over the course of 9 or 10 years would be like a $30 savings per year per mpg.

Maybe lowering the car would give you a 2 mpg increase, and if it cost you $2000 you'd have to drive that car 425,000 miles just to break even (read: break even, meaning you havent saved a single penny yet). That's not even including the extra cost of low profile tires (if you count that, you'll probably never break even).

·
I Need A Vacation
13,117 Posts
I got lightweight wheels and honestly I don't notice much difference. Maybe couple lightweight wheels with low rolling resistance tires and you might see some difference.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts