9th Gen Civic Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
I Need A Vacation
13,117 Posts
Lowering a car is not going to increase your MPG. Car manufacturers spend millions on testing and wind tunnels to get the most efficient design by changing the design ie. lowering your car you might actually decrease the MPG because you've changed the a tubal design flow of the vehicle.

I was thinking exactly this. I did a little cost comparison when I was buying my Civic. It was between this 40 mpg Civic and a different 35 mpg car. Over 170,000 miles the gas savings would be about $1500. That's $300 per mpg, over the course of 9 or 10 years would be like a $30 savings per year per mpg.

Maybe lowering the car would give you a 2 mpg increase, and if it cost you $2000 you'd have to drive that car 425,000 miles just to break even (read: break even, meaning you havent saved a single penny yet). That's not even including the extra cost of low profile tires (if you count that, you'll probably never break even).

·
Registered
225 Posts
  • Drive more efficiently
  • Remove access weight
  • Lower the vehicle
  • Install low resistance tires
  • Keep the tires properly inflated
  • Fill the tires with nitrogen
  • Install a rear lip spoiler
  • Use 0W20 fully synthetic oil
  • Change the engine air filter more frequently

I would like to find the panels for my car. 2012 honda civic ex.

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,108 Posts
Threads merged and put in Fuel/MPG Discussion subforum, as it is applicable to every model of Civic.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
your civic should have those panels already underneath the car.

you could also tape up all the seams, wax it regularly and close off the grill opening. :)

slow down is the biggest factor for increasing mileage.

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,108 Posts
slow down is the biggest factor for increasing mileage.
This may not be so.

If that little mpg gauge to the right of the speedo is any indication (for you non-Si types), my mpgs don't change at cruise all the way up to about 70 mph.

What will affect mpg, though, is acceleration. Go easy on the pedal while getting up to speed and you will use less gas.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Over inflate your tires a few PSI (35 vs 32), this will help. I have all 4 pulleys from unorthodox racing installed on my 2012 si, I get minimum 33-35 MPG every tank I fill up. I'm sure it would increase too if the car was lowered a bit, but I'll take that all day.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Over inflate your tires a few PSI (35 vs 32), this will help. I have all 4 pulleys from unorthodox racing installed on my 2012 si, I get minimum 33-35 MPG every tank I fill up. I'm sure it would increase too if the car was lowered a bit, but I'll take that all day.
Just from pulleys? I'm getting like 28 on a good week and I'm all highway.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Just from pulleys? I'm getting like 28 on a good week and I'm all highway.
Yeah dude, it's that good of a modification. I was surprised myself but because they are so much lighter than the OEM ones, the car just doesn't have to work as hard as it normally does.

The amount of money I've saved in gas has probably paid for the entire kit at this point. I'm all highway as well. I just filled up last night, I still had 3 bars of fuel remaining and I was at 312 miles for the entire tank so far.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts